tech session for Sydney crew? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 5:26 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Talking tech session for Sydney crew?

Actually... hoping someone will be up for helping guide me through the brake & clutch fluids flush when I do the 100k km service sometime over the next couple of months.
At 97k+ now... so time for me to start buying the bits and bobs I'll require.
Already have oil filter but will be making up a list of things to get. I see a BeemerBoneyard order in my near future........ plugs, fuel filter, air filter, crush washers, etc etc.
And I'll probably put 2 new tyres on too.

Let me know if your up for it, especially if you've already done it yourself! Remember, this is for an '05.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 8:48 pm

Re: tech session for Sydney crew?

Chris,
Be happy to be there to assist where possible. Have done some of the aforementioned procedures, so may be able to offer advise.
Let us know when you plan to do it so time can be planned.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #3 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 4:27 am

Was this a subtle nudge?
Did you want to have it at your place or shall I ask my mechanic if he's available for it?

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS

post #4 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 5:17 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Hi mate, forgot about your mechanic
If he's up for a session I'll happily come up that way to make sure I get the brakes/clutch done right.
If not I'm happy to have Brian's help to bumble my way through it ( me bumble, not Brian )
I'll probably have a fair bit to do so was thinking I'd strip it down at home on weekend and spend the 2 days on it, but if your guy can assist/teach right way to do brakes/clutch flush.. which is really only thing bothering me I think... then I could meet up that way just for that part, and do all the rest when I get back home.
Never had the tank off, so that'll be a learning experience changing fuel filter and air filter.

Let me know if he's up for it, I really need to start making a list of parts I need and get ordering.
Cheers guys!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:38 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

what else do I need to get??? besides oils/fluid I'll get locally...

Currently have the following items "carted" on Beemerboneyard.. but what else should I be looking at getting from the US?

1. Complete new maintenance kit for all K1200LT and K1200RS/GTbikes (except the newest 2005-on K1200S/R/GT bikes). Includes Mann German made air and fuel filters, Bosch oil filter with crush ring and filter door O-ring, oil filler plug O-ring, 2 fuel line hose clamps, 2 fuel line quick disconnect replacement Viton O-rings, transmission and final drive crush ring set, and 4 Bosch XR7LDC spark plugs.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k12ltrsmaintkit.html $89.95
(I've already got the 6-pack with the filter wrench... so the oil filter is really excess to needs)

2. funnel tool for bleeding or flushing the servo assisted (Integral) ABS brake systems on late model BMW bikes.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html $34.95

is it worth adding..
3. New fuel pump flange gasket for all K1200LT bikes.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16142347285.html $8.95

so many questions, so little time....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2013, 4:44 am

I've spoken to my mechanic. How does his place at 1pm on Saturday the 20th sound?

Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #7 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2013, 7:11 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Could be a go.. that weekend seems to be free at least at the moment... work might come up with a way to screw me over, but I hope not.
I'm ordering/buying bits and pieces now,already have a set of speedbleeders and the bleed bag on the way, so hopefully they'll arrive before then. Brake/clutch fluid bought today.

What's the damage to your mate for his assistance/tutoridge? And where does he live?

BTW... thx for organising Greg!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 17 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:36 am

He lives in Berowra, I'll pm address to those that are interested in coming.
We didn't discuss $s, maybe sort it on the day?

Ulysses member #60049
post #9 of 17 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:40 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJPinAU
He lives in Berowra, I'll pm address to those that are interested in coming.
We didn't discuss $s, maybe sort it on the day?
mmm, be good to know beforehand if he's expecting something... hate to rock up there and have him expect a "fee" when we are really after guidance, and not necessarily having him hands-on... happy to contribute to his beer-fund if thats what we're looking at.. :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 17 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 5:17 am

Now that the Berowra gig has fallen through when would you like us to come over and annoy ya?

Ulysses member #60049
post #11 of 17 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 6:18 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Have to wait and see if all the stuff I ordered arrives this week from Speedbleeders and Beemerboneyard.
Also should be picking up 2 new tyres on Sat morning from MCAW at Caringbah.
So WTF does that mean.... I don't have to start just yet, still 2k short of the 100k, but I'll want to get to it before it starts getting cold.
So I guess it'll be sometime in the next few weekends????
I"ll let you know when I'm thinking to do it for sure. :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 4:40 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Day 1.... Pissing down rain and my erstwhile helpers nowhere to be seen....
You' think they'd enjoy being out riding around in the rain and wind...
Fairs fair, though I gave them the choice...

So, 11am start stripping the bike down. Took about 2 hrs.
Item 1: pulled the valve cover to check bucket clearances... All seems Ok except intake valve 4, b-side. It's come up as 0.102mm, or .004". I checked about 4 times hoping I was wrong.... but nope.
Q. What's a tight valve going to be doing to the engine?
I've had to button that back up as it was since it'll be next week before I can contact a stealer to get another bucket. (See, Dick knows what he"s talking about... )

Item 2. Remove spark plug cover to install new plugs.. 3 bolts come out, one the Allen key just spins in the bolt head.... WTF! Thanks former stealer I used to go to....
Easy out didn't work, the aluminium bolt is too soft for it to grab . Wound up drilling the head off. It'll be held on by 3 bolts in future.
Spark plugs, #1's a bit black, 2 & 3 nice and light brown, 4 is a bit dirty looking too.
New ones go in.

Item 3. Grease shift linkage - OK

Remove fuel tank, glad I had the quick disconnects fitted a few years ago.

Item 4. Change air filter... Ok.

Item 5. Change fuel filter.... Hmmm, this is gonna be fun to undo... Leaving it till tomorrow so I can figure how to get that big black screw undone. None of our oil-filter tools are big enough to fit.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Item 5. Change fuel filter.... Hmmm, this is gonna be fun to undo... Leaving it till tomorrow so I can figure how to get that big black screw undone. None of our oil-filter tools are big enough to fit.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day.
A strap oil wrench will work. But I used a big set of slip jaw pliers, but only grab on the side of the big plastic nut, do not grab the tabs that stick up, they break..don't ask.
I didn't replace the big o ring gasket, it should be good.

Good Luck.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #14 of 17 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 7:47 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Day 2... Not gone as well as hoped. Bad news is he bike won't start at end of day.
But it had started through the day, so will need some diagnosis.... And didn't even get the main engine/tranny/final drive fluids changed

What did go OK...
Fuel filter replaced, no real dramas.
Coolant change, ok. Bike started and ran OK while we were burping the air from the coolant.
Clutch fluid change.. OK

It was now getting on in the day and I discovered amongst the vast array of tools we have that we did not seem to own a 7mm open end spanner needed for the ABS control circuit flush.... Bummer. 7mm fits the 2 tall bleed screws on the ABS unit. Those ones that are REALLY DIFFICULT to get at.
Was going to call it a day, but the local hardware store still open so we whipped down and bought a couple.
Did both control circuits OK (I think) although there's 2 points I'm concerned might have something to do with non-start....
To get the bleed screws opened (port #3) I removed the ABS electrical connection as described somewhere amongst the videos seen and procedures/threads I've read.
When we did the front control circuit the bike was not only allowed to go through the initialisation sequence, but the starter was accidentally pressed and kicked the bike over.
I'm hoping this hasn't created some fault code in the system stopping the bike from starting.
The second thing was I had to twist some of the cables tied to the frame out of the way to get the funnel in... Hoping I haven't disrupted an electrical connection somewhere.
Anyway, got the wheel circuits flushed OK without installing the speed bleeders, just using JZ's suggestion of hanging the bleeder bag up high so air could not go back into the lines.

What I'm hoping has gone wrong is that the flushing procedure has drained enough juice from the battery to stop it turning over, and nothing else is faulty..
When I turn the key ON, I get normal warning lights sequence, ABS warning light flashes slowly, then when hitting the starter button I get a single "Click"' the headlight dims then brightens again, but the starter does nothing.
I've put the battery (BMW oem gel) on a trickle charger overnight... Will reconnect it in morning and see if I get it to kick over.

Appreciate any thoughts to help with problem solving while I sleep off the dismay.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 17 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 6:39 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Update - All good. Turns out the battery got too low during the brake flushing to allow it to start. A recharge overnight and she kicked into life first thing this morning. Phew...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 17 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 9:17 pm

Hi Chris, sorry for being late reading your service report, but I can offer the following in regard to the 7 mm open end spanners - I went and bought about 5 cheap ones from Supercheap, approx $3.50 each from memory. Took them home and used the oxy/acet to heat and bend them to suit those diffucult to reach bleeders on the brake modulator unit. So now I have 1 for each position as required. My tip - crack each bleeder first, then just nip it shut, so when you do the powered flush you can easily control the bleeder closing/opening. Then do a final tighten on completion. The whole brake flush thing is not such a big deal once understood and you have made all the little bits. Make sure the on-board reservoirs in the modulator are full to the correct level ('05 model). 1 other thing, I purchased an in-line paper filter, the miniature type clear platic petrol one and placed it in the overflow hose that goes down to ground behind the battery. This means now no dust can travel up that hose into the modulator reservoirs, not sure that it ever would, but just to be sure. Cheers, Dennis

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #17 of 17 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 9:45 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Phew indeed !

Well done.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in