Copied from USA page - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2012, 7:21 am Thread Starter

Copied from USA page

Hi Guys, and Gals
I have just purchased a 2007model K1200LT, all grey.
I live in Perth ( W. Australia) and the bike is in Melbourne (Eastern Australia)
On New Years Day, I will take a flight to Melbourne, and then I have the "unfortunate" duty to ride the LT back to Perth
It will be about 3,600 kilometre trip in 4 days, beginning on the Great Ocean Road, Victoria.
(Google map it !) That is some seriously good motorcycling road.

I have been riding a 1995 K1100LT for the past 8 years, and I rode a1975 R60/6 for 30 years before that.

I am sure I will enjoy the trip across Australia, although the temperature can get up to the high 40's- mid 50's (Centigrade) coming through the Desert in South Australia
That's about 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit

I will try to get some pictures, and post them on this site, when I return

Happy New Year
'Lefty'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Copied from USA page

As you mentioned in the other thread you've got the knowledge and experience, it'll be an easy trip barring excessive heat on the way.
If its got the full CD stacker still installed, make sure you take some CD's with you... you'll want something to stop you falling asleep once you've gotten past GOR!
If you plan to stop around Portland, VIC, you could do worse than try to catch up with Axle (Lincoln Cram) from the forum who's also an LT rider for a quiet drink.

Safe ride!

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2012, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

Hi Chris, I got about 20 CDs in my luggage already

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 1st, 2013, 1:23 am

Garage

Hey buddy Call into Portland for an overnighter,,stay here for free, and allow a full day for the great ocean road also I hate beer oh42993942oh

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 1st, 2013, 3:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks Axle,
I'll see how I go
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 1st, 2013, 12:57 pm

3600 km, you should be able to do that in 2 days on the LT

Garry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlefty
Hi Guys, and Gals
I have just purchased a 2007model K1200LT, all grey.
I live in Perth ( W. Australia) and the bike is in Melbourne (Eastern Australia)
On New Years Day, I will take a flight to Melbourne, and then I have the "unfortunate" duty to ride the LT back to Perth
It will be about 3,600 kilometre trip in 4 days, beginning on the Great Ocean Road, Victoria.
(Google map it !) That is some seriously good motorcycling road.

I have been riding a 1995 K1100LT for the past 8 years, and I rode a1975 R60/6 for 30 years before that.

I am sure I will enjoy the trip across Australia, although the temperature can get up to the high 40's- mid 50's (Centigrade) coming through the Desert in South Australia
That's about 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit

I will try to get some pictures, and post them on this site, when I return

Happy New Year
'Lefty'

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #7 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 8:19 pm
cws

Garage

Hope you are on a quick run Lefty.... extreme heat forecast for next few days... as you said temps could be up around 50 C!!!
Hope you make it home safe....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 7:30 am Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
I survived the journey across Australia, from Anglesea in Victoria, to home in Perth, Western Australia.
Aprox. 800 km's each day, first 2 days, 1,122 km's 3rd day, and about 920 km's 4th day.
Second day was through 45 to 50 degree(C) dry heat, 3rd day was 25 to 36 degrees, humid and horrible.4th day 25 to 35 and light rain
My new (2007) K 1200 LT did not mind the heat or the humidity, and just purred along nicely.
I still like my K1100 LT, but my back and knees don't like lifting it onto the mainstand, so I had to get a bike with electro/hydraulic stand, and electric reverse for medical reasons. (That's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it !!)

Stay Safe

Lefty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	37378  
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 4:09 pm
cws

Garage

Great to hear you had a safe trip.
You know where to come if the EHCS gives you any issues...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in