Relative newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 3:47 am Thread Starter

Relative newbie

G'day guys my names Steve I'm somewhat of a newbie I was part of this site years ago and got deleted somehow,probably cause I was a bit of a lurker.Anyway I bought my LT new in 2001 and have travelled quite a few Kay's on her with my wife.I have a few bikes including a 2010 anniversary GSA 1200 so I live my BMs.Ive done a few mods to the Lt to suit me and gained a lot of info off the site and as thick as I am didn't realize until recently there was an Australian NZ section of the forums,anyway that's me hope to catch up for a ride with some of you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 4:38 am

Re: Relative newbie

Welcome Steve
I'm hoping to drag a few lurkers out with the get together.

Good bunch of guys on here with lots of knowledge. I love being part of forums like this, I've done it a couple of times with my cars.

Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #3 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

G'day Steve, welcome the the down under section. Anything we can all help with, let us know, all the answers are right here. Ride safe out there. Dennis

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

post #4 of 17 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 12:28 am
cws

Garage

Hiya Steve... welcome....... back.....
I wonder if your bike is one of the ones I took pics of at Snowy recently?
I saw a couple of other LT's...

cheers!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 17 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 4:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome boys ,yeh Chris I was down the snowy this year I think it's my 10th time I was with some mates on other model Beemers .My Lt is a 2001 mauve with a Remus exhaust and chrome accents,ring any bells !
post #6 of 17 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 8:40 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Steve. Yep, think you rode right past us while I was waiting for a test ride or at least in that area. Seen the purple people eater a few times over the past years. This was our 9th year straight!
The number of LT's down there are dwindling, so we should be getting easier to spot ;-p

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 17 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 12:43 am Thread Starter

Yeh Chris I think your right , if they are dwindling where are they going ! .I look forward to that weekend every year I think that region has some of the best riding NSW has to offer and also the charity aspect of the ride is a bonus.
post #8 of 17 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 6:37 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1
Yeh Chris I think your right , if they are dwindling where are they going ! .I look forward to that weekend every year I think that region has some of the best riding NSW has to offer and also the charity aspect of the ride is a bonus.
I like to think they are becoming a highly valuable rare-breed of marque.... ( )
And yep, love going to Snowy.
Already booked in for another 5 days next year.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 17 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 11:31 pm Thread Starter

YEh I hope your right , where do you stay in thredbo or in jindabine.i used to stay in thredbo but it started getting to pricey and most of the riding is out of thredbo anyway.
post #10 of 17 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 11:37 pm
cws

Garage

Always in Thredbo.. walking distance to everything that matters for us.
We've booked into Snowman Apartments again, top of the stairs in the Village, and about 50 metres up the hill. Very handy and accessible.

Bob McDonald, his wife Lynne and a mate stayed upstairs from us.
They're on an LT also... click

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 17 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 11:40 pm
cws

Garage

come to think of it... I was riding along with a Purple LT for a while on the way back up to Sydney... that wasn't you was it?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2012, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Yeh I think your right mate but it was my eldest son and his girlfriend on it at the time ,I was on my GSA with the wifey.Does your LT have those fold down highway pegs cause I remember envying them after four days in the saddle.
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2012, 10:10 pm
cws

Garage

Yep, that was us! Picked you up as you exited North Goulburn just in front of me.
I was sitting on cruise control the whole way, just bumping up & down to compensate for the traffic. Funny, at the time I didn't think the LT rider looked like your typical owner....
The footegs are MOPs (Mick-O-Pegs) bought from one of the US forum vendors. Bought them for my round Oz trip... They are great for long distances.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 17 Old Dec 9th, 2012, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

yeh I've been thinking about those pegs for years or the lowered rider pegs,can't make up my mind.Whats the consentsous out there about either peg.
post #15 of 17 Old Dec 10th, 2012, 3:47 am

Re: Relative newbie - peg relocators

I've got the Suburban Machinery relocators on my '05. They help with hip cramps a bit, but 2 up with the standard suspension, and on our west coast roads you'd soon need to buy some new pegs ! Bit a different story with the Wilbers, much better now, can still be scraped but nowhere as easily. Parsonally I'd rather not have to use them as I don't like the scraping, but like most things, sometimes we need to compromise. 1 tip if you buy the SM peg kit - they can be reversed left to right, which slightly reduces the lowering effect.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #16 of 17 Old Dec 10th, 2012, 4:31 am
cws

Garage

Steve, my forum research led me to buy the MOPs over the Jpegs for stretching the legs on longer trips.
The Suburban Machinery peg adjusters are about your daily riding position, putting the feet slightly further forward and down, as I understand it, to relieve the pressure on the knees.

If you ride anywhere near aggressively on corners then you need to be very careful about your choice... I scraped both my foot pegs in the early days of the bike, so wasn't game to put anything on that compromised that more.
The MOPs allow me to stretch out, as you've seen, on straighter stretches, but more than a slight bend will have your heel dragging on the road.

If you don't ride it aggressively, then the SM lowering kit might be the thing for you.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 17 Old Dec 17th, 2012, 9:04 am

I am Boltan relatively new out there in this forum and really enjoying talking, sharing and commenting with others about their thoughts, experiences and problems they face about their LT's. As, i also get a new LT recently in this year and enjoying the experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in