System 6 helmets - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 1:46 am Thread Starter

System 6 helmets

System 6 helmets due in Australia next month, also the blue tooth modules !
News from Southbank BMW !
cheers Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 6:19 am
cws

Garage
Re: System 6 helmets

Timely posting Andrew. My System 5's liners have just started to completely fall apart, and its less than 4 years since I bought it (new of course).
Procycles reckons its between $50-60 and about 4 weeks to get replacement liners from Germany (Schuberth, I guess).
While looking for info about the liners, on another bike site they said BMW didn't import helmets anymore due to low sales and high costs of compliance.
Happy if they are wrong... guess I'll wait and see now.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Yes Chris my system 5 had the same sort of problems but I purchased a Shoei. Was in Darwin moving around at the time so didn't have time to muck around. Must admit I am happy with the Shoei XR-1100, comfortable and doesn't fog up.
May get the System 6 if it is comfortable, would be nice to have the blue tooth working on the K1600GT.
Sounds like a definite goer, they had all the paperwork, only 2 colours coming in Gloss black and a silver white. Also the blue tooth module is extra and they have to install it. Some crazy prices were bandied about but in the end they didn't know. Due next month.
cheers Andrew

post #4 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Andrew, do you know whether this is just Southbank importing some helmets themselves (sort of grey market) or if it's BMW Motorrad Australia officially bringing them back into their product line?
It would be great to see them available again in Oz but I haven't heard anything about it anywhere else.
Cheers from Brisbane!
post #5 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

I got the impression BMW Australia , Southbank had all the sizes on order and only 2 colours coming. Did I mention this ? Gloss black and a silver/white colour.
cheers Andrew
post #6 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info Andrew - I wonder if they're the new System 6 Evo helmets BMW announced at Intermot (which I'm pretty sure are intended to replace the existing System 6).

Looks like a call to the BMW dealer on Monday...
post #7 of 23 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Greetings, everyone.
I ducked into Southbank on Saturday, and asked about the System 6 helmets.

They are imported by BMW Australia, cost them over $100,000 to get compliance, and retail is "$800".

Cheers,

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #8 of 23 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 3:21 am Thread Starter

Hi Tony, good to catch you again. Well am sure it cost a fortune to get passed, what crazy regulations we have ! Surely the Krauts and Yanks can do competent helmet testing ? Surely if it passes the required DIN standard it would be OK? Sounds like some public servants padding their nest ??
I did not hear any prices but bet the basic unit is the same price or more expensive than the XR1100 Shoei ? (plus the bluetooth).($1000 ????)
Anyhow guess we will know next month !
cheers Andrew
post #9 of 23 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 4:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO222
Surely the Krauts and Yanks can do competent helmet testing ? Surely if it passes the required DIN standard...
I'm pretty sure BMW don't sell their helmets in the US due to differing standards - seems the good thing about standards is you can have lots of them, or even double ones!
:-)
post #10 of 23 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 7:09 am

Greetings people.

Like many here, I've spoken with my local BMW dealer, Adelaide Motors, and they confirm that the System 6 is happening and is on its way to AU. They didn't however, mention colours or other options, so it's wait and see what turns up.

Let the pigeons loose.

Cheers volks.

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #11 of 23 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Spoke to BMW Australia the other day and the helmets won't be here till January
post #12 of 23 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 12:01 am Thread Starter

The latest email from Southbank just arrived and it lists the system 6 for $800
cheers Andrew
K1600GT
post #13 of 23 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 4:15 am

Why worry about system 6? I replaced my system 4 with a SHOEI MULTITEC and could not be happier! Am now replacing that with a SHOEI NEOTEC and it feels even better,and there is a bigger colour choise!
post #14 of 23 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Yes Malpri you are probably correct.I replaced my old BMW helmet with a Shoei XR1100 and it is a great helmet !
cheers Andrew
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 4:10 am
cws

Garage

2 weeks ago I spent a couple of days going round the various bike shops and trying all the flip-faces I could find. For years I've been riding with XL helmets.
Tried the Shoei Neotec and Multitec.. didn't like the shape of the sun-visor... too distracting.
Tried the Nolan N103 & N104.. didn't like the cut of the sun-visor either, but not as bad as the Shoei's for me... The L size seemed a better fit.
Tried the new System 6 (at least the only 1 I could find at the dealers... very limited amount brought into Oz in first shipment). My old System 5 is an XL, but its a little loose now. I tried the L that was available, but could barely get into it.. way too tight. No XL to try out, and at near $1000 it was out of the running anyway.
Tried the Shark Evoline 3 (Hakka Gloss)... quite different to the System 5 I'm so used to, but the fit in L was tight but good, where XL seemed a little loose to start with.
Since I mainly use it for commuting to city and back, I like the idea that it can be full face, or the chin-bar flips right over to the back, essentially making it an open-face helmet. Great in the hot weather. Both visors seem to work quite well, although the main visor does rattle a little when all is opened up and the visor is up.
Only thing I don't like is trying to get used to the D-ring again, instead of the clip on the System 5. But at near 1/2 the price of a System 6, it won the day for me.
So that's me done for the next few years I hope!
Shark Evoline Series 3

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 23 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Hello

After dropping my Multitec down a flight of stairs I decided a replacement was a good idea! Looked into getting the neotec but was told that XXL sizes were not coming in the AUS. I couldn't find any multitecs in XXL size either.

Tried on a System 6 the other day and it fitted well. The Euro version of the helmet has a double visor, with the inner visor being made out of a moisture absorbing material. For Australian standards compliance the inner visor has been removed and the sun visor is made from a different material, PC rather than PETG. According the addendum that came with the helmet user guide this change to the sun visor is to comply with ANZ UV transmissivity requirements.

I'm finding the helmet to more comfortable and quieter than my multitec. I've ordered the BT kit so it will be interesting to see how it works together.

I have a Scala Rider G4 Powerset for sale (passenger kit never used) p m if interested $350 firm.

Brendan
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/newreply...te=1&p=633422#
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 4:14 pm
cws

Garage

How much did you wind up paying Brendan?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 23 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Brendon,
Do I read from your sale of the Scala unit, that it does not fit the System 6? If this is the case that just adds an additional cost to the replacement for me.
I guess part of my shopping list is that the Scala unit fits my new to be acquired Helmet.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #19 of 23 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 10:53 pm

The helmet cost $800, with the BT kit coming in $330. It's an expensive option but the helmet fits and the BT will give me the full experience of the GTL comms & nav.

I haven't tried installing the Scala kit, while it works fine I want the integration.

B
post #20 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2013, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielt

Tried on a System 6 the other day and it fitted well. The Euro version of the helmet has a double visor, with the inner visor being made out of a moisture absorbing material. For Australian standards compliance the inner visor has been removed and the sun visor is made from a different material, PC rather than PETG.
Hi Brendan - Isn't the "inner visor" a Pinlock? I have used one on my Shoei XR-1100 and it worked pretty well.

Do you know whether BMW is not including it to save money, or because it didn't meet ADRs?

Cheers

Robert
post #21 of 23 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 2:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielt
The helmet cost $800, with the BT kit coming in $330. It's an expensive option but the helmet fits and the BT will give me the full experience of the GTL comms & nav.

I haven't tried installing the Scala kit, while it works fine I want the integration.

B
I'm interpreting your statement as the Scala works fine in its own right, but it didn't fully integrate with your GTL, if at all. Is this correct?

CWS, that shark helmet looks neat. Does it have any bluetooth functionality?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #22 of 23 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 5:43 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
CWS, that shark helmet looks neat. Does it have any bluetooth functionality?
Mine doesn't in itself, but I'm happy with my Autocom setup that has Bluetooth to my Iphone and cabled to the music system and GPS, gives me all I need.
Shark do make one their own one though, see clip here

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #23 of 23 Old Feb 12th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I'm interpreting your statement as the Scala works fine in its own right, but it didn't fully integrate with your GTL, if at all. Is this correct?
Correct Scala works fine when paired to the Zumo, would not reliably work with the GTL onboard BT, this is not a fault with the Scala though as I think BMW have gone off spec with the onboard system. You definitely get the full experience from the onboard system when using the BMW system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in