WOW Wilbers WOW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 4:58 am Thread Starter

WOW Wilbers WOW

Hi all,
I have been reading how everyone describes the ride on the LT as smooth and comfortable. I have, since owning the bike, found any slight alteration in the road being felt either through the bars, pegs or seat. To the point where I started to question my riding ability. If you read some of my earlier posts I have noted some issues.

Yesterday I installed Wilber shocks front and rear. OH MY GOD, what a difference. I ride roads that I have previously approached with trepidation, calmly. I find that my grip on the bars is easing and my confidence returning.

In a nut shell WOW. The transformation is beyond my expectations. I now have a new bike that I need to get used to.

I am looking forward to taking the wife for a ride. Last time out we bottomed out repeatedly and she all but refused to get on the back until I fixed the issue. I now feel it is fixed and some.

For those considering a shock/spring upgrade, do yourself a favour, do it.

One happy rider.

Brian.

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 5:46 am

Re: WOW Wilbers WOW

Hi Brian,
Where did you get them from and how much?

Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 5:51 am Thread Starter

Greg,
They were from SOS Suspension near Penrith. Were Aus$2,278 and made to measure.

Brian

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 5:55 am Thread Starter

Oh, and to fit. no issues. More time spent on Tupperware than fitting the units. You can do it without removing any where near the amount of bits some state. I took some guidance from John W on not removing the stearing damper. Did not remove the tank. The rear actually took longer to fit the dampers.

Brian.

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 6:43 pm

They are SWEET indeed ... 45K + miles worth here

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 6:36 pm
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Re: WOW Wilbers WOW

another happy customer.... good one Brian!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Cool Re: WOW Wilbers WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfree
Greg,
They were from SOS Suspension near Penrith. Were Aus$2,278 and made to measure.

Brian
Hi, Yes I bought a front Wilbers unit from Sean at SOS Suspension in Penrith, probably about 6 years or so ago (think that was about $1000 then).
I have also had Sean regas the BMW rear unit, which he needed to modify of course. I think he installs a Honda top section seal to the rear suspension unit which allows him to take the unit apart, and have a gas valve installed. Again that was probably about 6 or so years ago.....

Time flies..and I would be pretty sure that I need to get both done again as Beryl is a bit rickety on these potholesforroads we have.

Just a hassle in taking Beryl off the road in order to take the bits n pieces off (I'm sure I would have done a write-up on replacing these units and posted here somewhere).

Beryl is over the 211500kms, and just chugs along as she should...

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 2:35 am Thread Starter

Phil,
If you need either of the shocks to keep you going whilst you do a refit, they are yours, gratis.

Brian

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 3:30 am Thread Starter

Hi to all.
An update on the shocks.

I have been on a few short trips and find the shocks one up fantastic. More ground clearance and a heap more stability in corners. Mainly from the front end.

Two up, the wife and I went on a quick trip to Wiseman Ferry and back. It was a 95% success. The first thing that was noticed, The technicians at Wilber's need to recalibrate there weights and measures for the shocks. When I adjusted the pre load to the weight that we supplied Wilber's, it did not support the wife's weight sufficiently. I needed to add a few extra turns to the preload to stop scrubbing out.

Now, I am not saying that the weight my wife gave me is wrong, it just has to be the Germans read scales differently to my wife. I am sure that the weight she gave me was visible in the half moon viewing panel of the scales. It was just not Top Dead center.

With the preload corrections made all went sweet. Arrived home and asked how she enjoyed certain parts of the ride. Only to find out she slept through the best part which was smooth road with gentle curves at moderate speed. She just remember being rocked to sleep.

Now we need to plan our next outing, extending the distance till we get up to day rides.

Let me know if any others have experienced the same displacement issues.

Brian

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 5:43 am

You are a brave man Brian, I'm thinking your wife went to sleep after the ride because she was already very tired,.............. and you have taken the opportunity to post while she is asleep ! My rear shock appears to be spot-on based on the weight I provided to Wilbers. Fully loaded with luggage and wife I use about 12 turns on the preload. Solo I run with 1 full turn only and I have wound on 1 more turn of both high and low speed compression damping. There is no wallowing in corners at all, tracks like on rails, which was not the case with the OEM shocks. What rebound damping setting are you using on the front ? I am not convinced I have mine set up quite right yet. My front shock was factory set at 12 clicks (about mid way), I've since wound off the damping by 3 more clicks.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in