Wanted.. Russell Day long - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 4:32 am Thread Starter

Wanted.. Russell Day long

Hi,
I am on the lookout for a Russell Day Long for my 2005 LT. Went on a 6 day ride through NSW and found the OEM seat and my butt don't like spending that much time together. So I am on the lookout for a Russell. Preferably with back rest. So if someone out there has one they no longer want, or is not suitable to them, let me know. I would consider O/S if the condition and price are right.
Part of my problem is I need my bike as a daily commute so it would be difficult to arrange another seat for the manufacturing.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 9:04 am

Re: Wanted.. Russell Day long

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfree
Hi,
I am on the lookout for a Russell Day Long for my 2005 LT. Went on a 6 day ride through NSW and found the OEM seat and my butt don't like spending that much time together. So I am on the lookout for a Russell. Preferably with back rest. So if someone out there has one they no longer want, or is not suitable to them, let me know. I would consider O/S if the condition and price are right.
Part of my problem is I need my bike as a daily commute so it would be difficult to arrange another seat for the manufacturing.

Brian
G'day Brian,

Like you, my RT is my only form of transport, and I bought a RDL about 12 months ago. I purchased a rider's seat from Beemer Boneyard (I think it was about $80) and had them send it directly to Russell. The hard part was finding a pillion seat pan, so in the end, I stripped the cover off mine (to reduce weight) and sent it over. RDL were very good to deal with and when both seat pans had arrived, they processed them together and sent them off. The whole thing only took a few weeks.

I also have a BakUp back rest (which I will sell if anyone is interested - It doesn't allow sufficient room for the pillion in my case, but it was great one-up. I rode from Sydney to Brisbane in a little under 12 hours with just 3 fuel stops and felt pretty good when I got there).

I can really recommend the RDL. I spent a bit of money on a few seat mods here, but they only made marginal improvement. Last April, with the RDL seat, my wife and I spent a month touring and camping in Tassie - we did a few long days getting there and back, but were both pretty comfortable at the end of each day.

The only other thing I would add is that I got the vinyl covering because of lower maintenance, but I find it a bit too slippery and if I was doing it again, I would probably get the leather.

Rob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in