Tyres - state of the nation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 21st, 2012, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Tyres - state of the nation

I've recently experienced a problem with some small splits in the carcase of my 9 month old Metz ME880 REINF rear tyre. Pleanty of dialogue has passed with various suppliers and tyre reps etc, to a point where (I believe) here in Oz we are being told all sorts of "porkys" about tyre availability for our LT's. For example, I have been told the Bridgestone Balllax BT020 79V Reinforced tyre has not been made for 4 years and is now superseded by their BT023, but looking on the website that tyre does not conform to our required specs. Then we have the new Michelin Commander 2 which is supposed to last for a zillion Km's, and is suitable for all heavy cruisers, but again, when one delves right into it, that tyre aloso does not meet the spec. then there's the Avon stom 2 Ultra, also does not meet the load/speed rating spec of 79V and is not "REINFORCED". I realise we, as LT riders, are only a small part of the tyre market, but it leaves me wondering who in the tyre industry actually knows about and has researched their subject matter, as they all seem to want to tell us about the "new tyre' that supersedes the existing model, when most times that "new" tyre is in fact not a direct or correct replacement, for 1 or more reasons. Comments please, as I find this quite frustrating, possibly moreso living in Tasmania as we have less outlets for tyres. Sorry for the long rant, Dennis.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:37 am

Re: Tyres - state of the nation

I find it hard to believe that there is only (for us) 2 tyres to choose from. What do the Harley Ultra Classic, Goldwing, Victory Vision have on their rears? I don't know because I've never asked the question.
I know a couple of guys up this way use car tyres on their Triumph Rocket 3s.
All these bikes are similar to ours in weight and carry capacity.

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 1:27 am
cws

Garage

hmmm, not much help to you here Dennis.... I've ever only used the ME880's on the LT.
Always been happy with the feel and generally the longevity of them (apart from the old wobble issue, but that can be any tire on the LT) so never wandered.
On the 2006's they were delivering the Bridegstones as OEM... Hilton had a serious/dangerous problem with them (rubbing swingarm), so I never wanted to try them.
The dates on my current rear...5010 (50th week 2010 I presume) & Made in Germany.
I got this one in Brissy, May 2011.. but I suspect they all come through the same importer anyway. One small crack "in the gap" of the tread pattern, a 3-pointed star - looks like a stone went in.. other than that just general stone cuts in the tread.

I've still got a 1/2 used rear at home, might check that more closely too.... (0710 date stamp..Made in Germany... in very good nick with a lot of tread on it and no sign of any cuts or problems)

ME880's and Slime/Ultraseal = happy boy (when I can get out for a real ride)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Aug 22nd, 2012 at 6:09 am.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Another new Metz Marathon arrived torday from BM Motorcycles, Ringwood. This 1 is marked 1012, so we'll see how it goes. The other tyre will have the adhesive removed from the cracks, photographed and sent to the importer here in Oz.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:31 pm

I have a Avon Storm on my LT it is rated 79V and it has reinforced written on the tire,from what I have read they are not recommended for 05 and later bikes because they are a radial and BMW only recommended to use bias ply tires due to changes in the steering geometry
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Yes, that's the reason I won't put the Avon on my '05. I just don't want to deviate from the exact tyre spec as (I can only presume) this tyre spec for our LT's was not arrived at "lightly" (no pun). Plenty of tyre sellers and tyre reps will try to tell you/sell you specific tyres which in their words "will carry the load", but where will they all be when it all turns to s#@t ? Answer - nowhere to be found.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Another new Metz Marathon arrived torday from BM Motorcycles, Ringwood. This 1 is marked 1012, so we'll see how it goes. The other tyre will have the adhesive removed from the cracks, photographed and sent to the importer here in Oz.
I had a new rear put on yesterday. Same date stamp, 1012
I also got an answer to my question: Apparently the Wing, Vision etc, don't have the same carrying capacity or are capable of doing the same speeds as the LT (when fully loaded) - BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2012, 12:10 am Thread Starter

Ah, so we now know Metzeler made at least 2 tyres in that week ! Yes, on the REINF & 79V, I also get tired of telling sellers that the tyre has to be that spec for a reason ! I think it actually peaves some of the HD boys that they don't need anything special to cope with all that noise Funny that, maybe they don't realise that noise and horsepower are not directly connected. Thinking about it, there are probably no other large tourers designed and capable of being fully loaded to 600 Kg's and having the bejezus ridden out of them with 2 people on board, and it takes a pretty special rear tyre to cope with that.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2012, 5:23 am Thread Starter

The new rear tyre is on, I note the following differeces between this tyre and the previous Metzeler - 1. This tyre is from the Brazilian factory, the previous 2 tyres were both from Germany. 2. This tyre appears to have slightly different shaped grooves when comapred side by side with the German version. The Brazil item appears to have slightly tapered sides on the grooves, making them narrower at the bottom. 3. The Brazil tyre has different wear bars than the German item. The new tread depth is 6.8 mm. Lets see how this one survives the Nullarbor plain 2-up and fully laden.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 10th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
The new rear tyre is on, I note the following differeces between this tyre and the previous Metzeler - 1. This tyre is from the Brazilian factory, the previous 2 tyres were both from Germany. 2. This tyre appears to have slightly different shaped grooves when comapred side by side with the German version. The Brazil item appears to have slightly tapered sides on the grooves, making them narrower at the bottom. 3. The Brazil tyre has different wear bars than the German item. The new tread depth is 6.8 mm. Lets see how this one survives the Nullarbor plain 2-up and fully laden.
Mine was manufactured in Brazil as well. Only noticed this today as I had a puncture and had to take the wheel out to get it fixed.

Chris: I had the metal valve put in this time!

Ulysses member #60049
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2012, 12:11 am
cws

Garage

mushroom plugged?
Had you added any tyre sealant as yet?
Getting a puncture is a nasty way to go about putting that new stem in... but you'll be good for your trip.
That's pretty much what happened just before my Tassie run too! Maybe its a right of passage?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in