Static tyre balancer, etc? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 21st, 2012, 1:30 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Static tyre balancer, etc?

Any of our Sydney mates got a static tyre balancer and other goodies for fitting LT tyres?

I'd like to have a shot at changing over the front for a "spare" I've got (1/2 used, but way better than whats on it at the moment).

If I can't loan one I might look at buying... unless it works out way too expensive to gather all the bits.

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 7:20 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Re: Static tyre balancer, etc?

After lots of reading up reports on the web about tyre changing systems & methods... I went ahead and built my own bits and pieces to do the job.
A home-made bead breaker, tyre mounting setup and static balancing stand... made from metal tubes, timber and bits and pieces lying around the garage.
I had to buy an old steel rim (17" off a holden commodore) that makes a near perfect fit mounting station at least for the front wheel (with some 1/2" hose pieces on the top edge) - $20, and some 5/8" threaded rod for the centre post - $13.
So they were the cheap bits.
The expensive bits... a Mojolever - about $150 shipped from the US, Marc Parnes balancer - about $135 shipped from the US.

So I've learned how to remove the front wheel, and with some near back-breaking effort (I need to make changes to securing the "stand") I got my 30,000km+ front changed over this weekend for a 1/2 worn one I had.
Benefits.. I know I have it near perfectly balanced.. and no-one bitched about the Ultraseal that came out of the old one, and I got to put a metal stem in the wheel, and know how well I secured it. Put Ultraseal back in, went for a test run... and yes it has the decel wobble at ~ 50kph, but that doesn't surprise me with a tyre thats been off and now back on again.
I learned a lot from doing this, what to do next time to (I hope) make it easier, without spending $1000+ buying a machine to do it.
Yes, I could have taken the wheel to a tyre shop and had it done cheaper... but then I wouldn't have the satisfaction I'm feeling now.

But I can wait till next time which will be to swap out the rear... I'm sure it won't be any easier... but I reckon I can do it.

No photos were taken during this endeavour, and no small animals were harmed.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:28 am.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
I had to buy an old steel rim (17" off a holden commodore)
Make that a 15"...doh!.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:29 pm

I bet your swear jar is full

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:23 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Well done.

As you said " The satisfaction of doing it yourself "

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 4:26 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
But I can wait till next time which will be to swap out the rear... I'm sure it won't be any easier... but I reckon I can do it.

No photos were taken during this endeavour, and no small animals were harmed.
Thought I should finish this thread off.... I recently put the 1/2 used rear tyre on, before going to the Snowy Ride, and it was MUCH easier than the front. I was really surprised, but then the tyre is wider and so maybe easier, and being warmer weather I had the tyre sitting in the sun for an hour beforehand.
Almost looking forward to when I need new tyres.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 6:04 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

+ 1
And the sun makes all the difference.
Always found the rear the hardest as it has really stiff walls.

Happy riding.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in