Top Box Lid Lining. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 2:23 am Thread Starter

Top Box Lid Lining.

Has anyone had to remove the black plastic lining from inside the lid of the top box of the LT.
The loop of the lid retractable restaining strap let go on mine. A mechanic drilled the two pop rivets out and removed the strap retractor. It had a steel plate inside the lid that the rivets went into. I have repaired the retractor but wanted to remove the liner to get the rivets back in properly however it appears the lining is sealed into the lid with a rubber type compound. The metal plate is now loose in the lid.
I have been told it should come out because part of the GPS etc is in there but stuffed if I can get it to release.

Anyone encountered the same problem. I would suggest you check you strap as the loop is only held by a rivet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 3:58 am

I have had this problem, and solved it as well.
there is a thread already about it i did on it, but i can not for the life of me find it.

on some years of the lt apparently the black inner lining does remove if all screws are pulled out.
on mine this wa snot the case (if you find the thread it has photos as well)

i used a dremmel tool type device and cut away some of the plastic and removed the metal bracket under the plastic lining.i knocked out the rivets and put new rivits in (again if you find the thread even have the size of the rivits to use)i got the retractable cord sticked up at a local car upholster with nylon cord and put it all back together.the rivit that hold the nylon cord together broke in a high gust of wind.

the thread is here some where, you just have to find it. i have tried searching with no luck so far
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 4:09 am

Ah Ha!!

Thats why i could not find it, it was on the old board.

here the link

read and learn
any questions just ask

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 4:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepjan
I have been told it should come out because part of the GPS etc is in there but stuffed if I can get it to release.

Anyone encountered the same problem. I would suggest you check you strap as the loop is only held by a rivet.
The part for the GPS is the reciever, and its actually mounted in side one of the rear speaker grills.mine is white in colour and about the size of a match box.

the same silly idea of using rivits on the cords is also used on the side panniers. i suggest you get the side panniers sewn up with nylon thread as well
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 6:00 am

Question

So stepjan whats happening with yer topbox rebuild???
you have been very quiet.either i have given you all the information you required or you have not visited the board to read my replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in