The Apple Isle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

The Apple Isle

The wife and I are planning to take a trip to Tassie in October this year. We both have never been there and are really looking forward to going.

We were thinking of taking about 3 days to get to Melbourne, probably via the coast road then the Snowy and then hopefully a week and a half travelling around Tasmania.

Questions: 1) Is October a good time to go or should we leave it until November?
2) Suggestions of places to see/visit apart from the obvious (Port Arthur etc)
3) Anyone interested in joining us?

cheers,
Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 1:16 am
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Re: The Apple Isle

Tempting, but doubt I would have the opportunity to run down there in October.
There's quite a few of us done it... and it is a MUST DO!
Kerry and I did it on the bike a few years back (2006 pics) went straight from Snowy Ride to the ferry for the overnight trip. Only did 7 days and decided we had to go back with the car, which we did for 2 weeks a couple of years later, still not long enough
Both times we went anti-clockwise.

Be prepared for 4 seasons. Expect snow, up around Cradle Mountain/Dove Lake, and also on top of Mt Wellington in Hobart.

Do the west coast to Strahan, its a great road... we only did it in the car, but should have done it on the bike. Do the inland roads, as well as the coast. Take some time to go off into small towns, they are wonderful.

Go over to Bruny Island for a day, its a nice day trip.
Stay at Freycinet Lodge (or similar) for a night or 2, well worth it. The walk to wine-glass bay isn't that hard.
Do the run up/down both sides of the Tamar River, and take the roads that run right next to the water, not the main freeway. Have lunch at Roosevears Tavern on the waterfront.
Go Penguin watching up at GeorgeTown.
The ride from St Helens up through to Scottsdale is amazing.
Do the wine trail around the north-east... so nice spots along the way, also the Lavender Farm which is up there too.

Give yourself 3-4 weeks... you'll love it!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 31 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 1:18 am

Re: The Apple Isle

Hi Greg, I've lived in Tassie for all my 53 years, I hope my recommendations aren't biased. October/November is spring weather over here and that can mean 4 seasons in 1 day ! We'll be back on daylight saving time at the start of October so you get nice long twilights, different than further north.Not too much difference betweeen the 2 months other than possibility of windy days, but not extreme by any means. As for places to visit, the east coast will have the better weather at that time of year, but Tassie has constantly changing scenery, so 1 hour makes a big difference to the environment you're in and also (possibly) the weather. As for sight seeing and places to visit, don't miss The Wall in The Wilderness at Derwent Bridge (google it), world class and amazing work. Cradle mountain, the west coast, Strahan, the whole lot is good at that time of year, very green. Roads are great but corners can be damp in the mornings in spring. I'm certainly interested in joining you over a weekend, we'll just be back from 28 days over the Nullarbor to WA actually. PM me and I'll give you all the info you need re: accomodation etc once I know what your requirements are. I only live 25 minutes from Devonport (spirit berth) You'll love it !!

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

post #4 of 31 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Garage

I've been 3 times and it bucketed down 3 times loved the boat trips off Eaglehawk nest and fort tour, just watch your speed if the sign marker is 40kph on bends then its is, not like ours when you can go around at double the marked speed.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 31 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies and the advice.

Being novice bike tourists will be a great experience (either good or bad).

Linton, good to know as we all tend to take these things for granted.

Dennis, it would great to catch up when we get down there. I'll PM you for your phone no when we get closer to leaving.

Chris, I'd really like to have a meal and a chat about this is you are free some time. I'll show Kate your photos just to keep her eager

Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #6 of 31 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 4:14 am
cws

Garage

I need to get out for a ride soon..... once I'm finished with the builders at work and I can stop doing bloody 7am starts (9am is normal for me).... its killing me!
Maybe I can talk Kerry into going for a ride up the Central Coast one weekend... if not I'm happy to go for a day run somewhere one weekend.. ;-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 31 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 4:56 am

Wink Re: The Apple Isle

Chris, don't worry about being a "novice", you or your wife, just remember to pack light, surprising what you don't need. Only thing I do suggest is a puncture repair kit, hopefully not required.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #8 of 31 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 5:35 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Chris, don't worry about being a "novice", you or your wife, just remember to pack light, surprising what you don't need. Only thing I do suggest is a puncture repair kit, hopefully not required.
heh heh,,, think you mean "Greg"
I'd be happy to go back to novice status, if I could just wipe the km's off the LT too..

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 31 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Oops, sorry Chris, and Greg. Looking forward to catching up also, cheers for now, Dennis.
Oh yeah, light yellow metallic, those Germans really know how to describe paint colours !!

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #10 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 9:23 am

Hi Greg

We did Tasmania for consecutive new year holidays (each about 10 - 11 days). We did 3000kms the first year 2009-10 (anti clockwise) and 2500kms the second year 2010-11 (clockwise). Does that mean it is longer anti clockwise?

Not wanting to plan "your" trip but here is a possible 10 day motorcycle tour of Tasmania based on our 2 trips. We find that after 5 consecutive days on the bike we are looking for a non-ride day, others can ride every day.

But I do suggest you listen to Dennis's local advice.
As advised, October's weather could be anything - be prepared.

Day 1: Arrive Ferry and head east to along Frankford Road and Holwell Road to Tamar River region with visits to Beaconsfield Mine Museum, Beauty Point (Seahorse World and Platypus House) and down to Launceston that night.

Day 2: Launceston to Longford then to Poatina and up the Poatina Road then down to Miena (southern end of Great Lake) and then north to Deloraine (some gravel) and Westbury and back to Launceston (230kms). If you wanted to stay on the black stuff you could go from Miena down to Bothwell and then up the Midland Hwy to Ross and Launceston (330kms).

Day 3: Launceston to Scottsdale to St Helens (Bay of Fires) to St Marys to Bicheno. Mt Elephant pancakes south of St Marys and Bicheno Motorcycle Museum are must visits.

Day 4: Bicheno to Port Arthur then to Hobart. If you have a spare day then Coles Bay is a scenic place to visit and stay.

Day 5: Hobart to Oyster Cove to Cygnet to Huonville then down to Geeveston and either Tahune Air Walk or Hastings Caves then return to Huonville then up to Lower Longley then Huon Road (not Hwy) to Mt Wellington and then back down to Hobart.

Day 6: Rest Day in Hobart. Or if you are keen then take a day ride from Hobart up to the Gordon River Dam and back to Hobart.

Day 7: Hobart to Queenstown then out to Strahan. Morning tea at Tarraleah & visit Wall in the Wilderness and Lake St Clair near Derwent Bridge.

Day 8: Day Tour from Strahan – either Gordon River Cruise or West Coast Wilderness Railway (both expensive).

Day 9: Strahan to Zeehan (visit the West Coast Pioneer Memorial Museum) then to Roseberry up to Wynyard and Stanley (The Nut).

Day 10: Stanley to Burnie onto Cradle Mountain (either via Ulverstone or down the Ridgley Hwy and Murchison Hwy and the Belvoir Rd). From Cradle Mountain to Sheffield (Murals & Scenery), Railton (Topiary) then back to Devonport to catch the Ferry. We felt to get value out of Cradle Mountain we should have done a hike but time did not allow for it – but it is still a good ride and is scenic.

Other Comments
Another good road to ride is the Lake Leake Road from Bicheno to Campbell Town then a short trip south to visit to the old town of Ross.

Saturday morning in Hobart, the Salamanca Place market is always interesting, close to the docks - even though it is much better around New Year when all the yachts are there and the ‘Taste Festival” is on.

In the northwest there is really only Stanley (the Nut). IMO, Smithton has very little to offer the rider or tourist. From Wynyard it is up and back the same highway, so if time is limited I would leave out the north west and spend some more time around the Cradle Mountain & Sheffield area.

Also going over on the ferry, make sure they tie your bike down the way you want them to, not how some novice deck hand wants to do it. They prefer to use handlebar straps.
I always use soft ties (which I carry) on each front fork at the cross bar and then use their ratchet tie down to strap it down. Also pack a small 1 night bag for the ferry trip over so you don't have to carry everything up to your cabin.

Tassie is certainly a top class destination for a motorcycle touring holiday.
You will definitely want to go again.

Go for it

Regards
Phillip

Phillip M
2007 R1200RT
Biarritz Blue
post #11 of 31 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 2:37 am Thread Starter

Thanks for that Phill, this is the sort of information I was hoping for

Ulysses member #60049
post #12 of 31 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 6:32 am

Nicely said Phil, couldn't have done better myself,..... and I live here ! Not too sure about the NW not having too much to offer, depends on what you like I guess. There are some nice back roads just inland (south) of the Bass Hwy across the north-west, and also the Leven Canyon in the Nietta region. You mention Ross, lovely place to stop for a look, there is also Richmond, and you need more than a day for a good look at Port Arthur. I also highly recommend the Tasman Island Adventures tour of the the southern area by "the yellow boat". Make sure you get the correct company, Google "Robert Pennicot". All depends on time and your budget I guess, but 1 thing I can almost guarantee,.................. you'll be back. Call me closer to the date, I'd love to catch up, best regards, Dennis

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #13 of 31 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 8:26 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmor
Also going over on the ferry, make sure they tie your bike down the way you want them to, not how some novice deck hand wants to do it. They prefer to use handlebar straps.
I always use soft ties (which I carry) on each front fork at the cross bar and then use their ratchet tie down to strap it down. Also pack a small 1 night bag for the ferry trip over so you don't have to carry everything up to your cabin.
Yeah, watch out for this.
They tied my handlebars on the way over and the way back... I was lucky that we had very calm seas, but I have heard stories of other guys handlebars being bent.
There are "tie-down" insructions and diagrams on the LT site, just do a search and you'll come up with them. I took the diagrams printed out, but didn't have the right straps for the forks etc to use, so had no point to argue on. They are just trying to get everyone strapped down quick, and don't want you hanging around while they do it....I think they make you put it on the side-stand too (IIRC)... so use first gear or reverse engaged to make sure it can't roll slightly.
+1 on taking a small night-bag, just keep everything else locked away.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 31 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 4:17 am

I bought my K12 back on the Spirit of Tas last May. Stay with your bike till it's tied down and instruct them on where to attach and how etc. Argue (nicely) with them if necessary and state the reasons why it needs to be tied that way. They'll do as you ask if they can see the reason why, just be persistent without getting agro, always works for me. The tie downs are hanging up on the structure beside the bike spaces, grab them and route them around the front forks where you know they need to go, then ask the deckies to do the tensioning because untimately TT Line is responsible for the bike not sustaining any damage whilst it is on board (it's written in the travel documentation). The bike needs to be in first gear and on the side stand, they'll also attach a velcro strap around the front brake lever.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #15 of 31 Old May 11th, 2012, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

The Red Queen and her cronies have struck again!
I just looked at www.spiritoftasmania.com.au website to check fares etc.,
After July 1st there will be a carbon tax included in the fares, not that much, $3 per person and $6 per vehicle. It's not the money it's just the far reaching effect this stupid tax by an even more stupid government is going to do to this wonderful country!

Ulysses member #60049
post #16 of 31 Old May 11th, 2012, 10:01 pm
cws

Garage

Yeah, bad to worse... amazing how they keep on lasting....

We must try to arrange that catchup.... before it gets much colder!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 31 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Dates have been set, on hols from 10th to the 25th of November. Planning on being in Devonport morning of the 13th (Tuesday) return to the mainland on the 23rd.
Clockwise will be the obvious trip to take so we can be in Hobart for the markets on Saturday.
Slowly working on bike and personal prep... we have plenty of time before we go

Ulysses member #60049
post #18 of 31 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 7:46 am
cws

Garage

Can't convince you to do a few days at Snowy first? ;-)

It'll be a great trip, 10 days is just enough to get a taste to go back.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 31 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 8:50 am

Just a note from a Yank. I was there in 2006. Loved it. Don't miss the coal valley. Nice winery's.

Sleepwalker
2008 K1200LT New Ride

1999 K1200LT (sold)
1992 K75 (sold)
1991 K1 (sold)
post #20 of 31 Old Nov 14th, 2012, 3:52 am Thread Starter

I'm sitting in a reclining chair in the Stamps on Stanley apartments thinking an update should be forwarded.
We left home on the 11th and rode down the Hume Hwy ( so boring!), we stopped in a small town called Chiltern (over Vic border).
A short trip to Port Melbourne to join the ferry. Arrived very early and had a 4 hour wait but met a group of Harley riders heading home to Tas so we got some pointers on things to be wary of (road kill mainly).
The guys on the ferry tied down the bike exactly as discussed without any question which is good as seas were a little rough during the night.
Met Dennis at the terminal and we rode to Latrobe for brekky at his daughters shop. After a bit of a chat we parted company and headed to Beaconsfield (very moving) then down the highway to Launceston to stay the night.
This morning was a great ride to Deloraine then Sheffield under Devonport and onto Burnie for lunch. We arrived in Stanley this afternoon and are completely amazed by this place.
The weather has been the biggest bonus so far but I think it will change for our run down to Strahan tomorrow.
That's it for now. More later

Ulysses member #60049
post #21 of 31 Old Nov 14th, 2012, 5:35 am
cws

Garage

Great start... sounds good so far!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 31 Old Nov 14th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Keep the trip updates coming~!

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #23 of 31 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 1:04 am Thread Starter

Yesterdays ride down the west coast was as expected except for Hellyer Gorge (brilliant!)
Today started in Strahan. This tiny little port really didn't have a lot to offer us but I'm sure if you had a big enough budget you could find something. (Note: only our Telstra mobile had service here)
The road from Strahan to Queenstown is fairly technical but in the rain even more so.
The road that climbs out of Queenstown has to be seen, wow! In today's weather there was an amazing cascade of water but nowhere to stop and take photos
Wilderness and alpine landscape combined to make a stunning ride.
A quick stop at "Wall in the Wilderness" well worth it. The guy is a real talent.
The ride to Hobart from Derwent Bridge varies with a caution that not all corners are marked and some sections are fairly (read fun) technical. Be careful of logging trucks you can come upon these quite quickly. All-in-all a great ride. Now for my wife's fun - Salamanca Markets

Ulysses member #60049
post #24 of 31 Old Nov 19th, 2012, 4:53 am Thread Starter

Saturday in Hobart was spent at Salamanca Markets in the morning and Wrest Point Casino in the evening for a meal and some entertainment.
Sunday was a pleasant coach trip to Mona. Very interesting place but typical of a captive audience and their charges for food/drink were too expensive, anyone thinking of going should take their own. The museum is a "must do" venue in Hobart and the boat trip back along the Derwent River was very relaxing.
Monday: Port Arthur, what can be said about this magnificent place. You can't come to Tassie without a visit. The $37 entry fee includes a cruise around a couple of islands plus a 40 min guided walk (great value).
The ride north to Bicheno was another treat with a section along the Prosser River heading into Orford a real eye opener. The Tasman Highway is a great road with many bends and is truly a joy to ride plus the scenery changes so often the pillion is never bored.

Ulysses member #60049
post #25 of 31 Old Nov 19th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Greg,

All appears to be going well for you both, unfortunately your time is beginning to run short, as it always does. I dialled up the weather for you, hopefully it will hold till later in the week when you must depart this little piece of paradise. Mate, you must take the road from St. Helens to Launceston, via Scottsdale. The scenery is spectacular and the road is fanrastic, just make sure you keep to your side as there are lots of caravans and motor homes around. Ride safe, and you'll be back, I guarantee it ! Dennis

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #26 of 31 Old Nov 24th, 2012, 3:54 am Thread Starter

Bicheno: sea side town on the east coast. An old guy told me "if god made a better place then he kept it to himself!"
Aside from that there is the motorcycle museum to see. A nice collection of bikes with a couple of my favourites included.
The "blow hole", penguins and great beaches. Best of all, it is close enough to ride south to Lake Leake Highway (read about it) truly worth the ride to Campbell Town. (A local described it as their own race track). After a short ride north on the Midland Hwy, it was onto the Esk Hwy to St Mary's. Another great road and scenic. From St Mary's it was a right turn back to Bicheno via the Elephant Pass. Tight, winding and gets your attention.
The next day we left Bicheno for a run north via St Mary's (once again up Elephant Pass) this time stopping for morning tea at Mount Elephant pancakes (yum!). Onto St Mary's and down the St Mary's Pass (again, a road to get your attention). On the road to St Helen's I spied another LT so we stopped for a chat then continued on. After a quick stop at the tourist info place we decided to head to "The Pub in the Paddock" to stay the night. Great place and Anne is very accommodating.
Our ride back to Devonport via Scottsdale was a mixed bag, with mist high in the hills to sunshine below, many twisty bits and a fair bit of freeway. This road capped off our little adventure. Very sad to leave but I know we'll be back!
Dennis: you are a very lucky man!!
Oh and it wasn't just the wife and I who didn't want to leave, it seems the LT wasn't in a rush go, we got a puncture in the rear tyre big enough to spew all the Slime inside the guard but not stop the leak. Many thanks to the guys at Scottsdale Suzuki for repairing the tyre and getting us away as quick as possible.

Ulysses member #60049
post #27 of 31 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 5:06 pm
cws

Garage

Welcome back Greg & Kathy, safe & sound it seems?
So.... you've had a day or so ... wheres the photos?????

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #28 of 31 Old Nov 26th, 2012, 1:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Welcome back Greg & Kathy, safe & sound it seems?
So.... you've had a day or so ... wheres the photos?????
Here

About to board

Mirror image?

The Tamar River valley

strange accommodation

Cataract Gorge near Lonny

one of the many murals in Sheffield

Ulysses member #60049
post #29 of 31 Old Nov 26th, 2012, 1:31 am Thread Starter

Stanley and The Nut

(yawn!) Strahan

Salamanca markets - not that empty for off season

Port Arthur (needs to be seen)

Northern end of Bicheno (Shane Gould's property)

Bicheno bike museum

Elephant Pancakes - YUM!

The Pub in the Paddock

Ulysses member #60049
post #30 of 31 Old Nov 26th, 2012, 4:29 am

For those who aren't sure,............ the "mirror image" is of the bikes ! Just a sample of the sights around the (my) island, don't tell anyone though I always struggle with the decision whether to turn left or right when I leave my driveway, ah the stress of it all. Dennis

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #31 of 31 Old Nov 26th, 2012, 5:34 pm
cws

Garage

Looks like you had fun. Looking forward to catching up and hearing about it!
Maybe a breaky up at Wisemans one Dec weekend before Chrissy?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in