Coast to Coast Byron Bay to Perth and back. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Coast to Coast Byron Bay to Perth and back.

Gday all,
Just got back from my trip across Oz and back. Started at Byron bay then up to Toowoomba to meet a mate that I would be riding with. I was Traveling with members of the Patriots for out National AGM in Narogin WA.

First Night was Nyngan, Then broken Hill for a few days to catch up with mates, then on to Pt Augusta SA. No major drama's except for wild goats all over the roads heading into Broken Hill.

Next stop Ceduna to meet up with other members of the club traveling from the eastern states. One Lady "Vixn" Toni McGuigan had ridden from Darwin Via Cairns and down the East coast ,through Melborne and Adelaide. She was raising money for Leukemia, being a cancer survivor herself and having to do chemo along the way. One tough chick.

So 15 bikes headed across the Nullabour..glad i had the LT and not a HD like most of them..they werent so critcal after that lol.

So Norseman then Esperence, where 2 riders came undone on the coast road, One HD written off the other on a trailer (so whats new) lol. Then Albany and on to Narragin. A great weekend at the Cornwell hotel where the owners opened the place up for us..awesome pub highly recomended. We broke the WA record for the most bikes ridden through the bar 158!.

Monday came, then off to Perth to Visit old Army mates and wait for the Mrs to fly in from Brissy. South to Dunsbourough in wine country and Margaret River. Found a great piece of road running 100km through the wine region to cape Leuuwin..long sweeping corners, the road surface was A1+++ best ride Ive had in years. Hit the wineries on the way back ( no tasteing )

Headed back to perth after a few days before the Boss flew home. Then it was the reverse trip home, except we went across the Hay Plain to Balranald overnight. My ride Partner headed for Canberra and I went through Dubbo then down to Newcastle in one day..1060km..wont do that again in a hurry. Developed a major Rattle coming from what i thought was around my centre stand area..but do you think I could find it? People were watching me ride through towns because of the racket it was making..How embarresment lol.
Anyway Lake Macquarrie for a few days to visit the folks them back to sunny Tweed Heads..12000 km in just under 4 weeks.

PS just found the rattle..my rear disk is loose (breaks stll work fine) but its banging up and down..not sure if something has broken of just lost a screw or bolt somewhere. Hmmm .

Anyway all up a great trip, thats another off the bucket list.

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rigger394; Jan 8th, 2012 at 6:14 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 12:40 am
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Coast to Coast Byron Bay to Perth and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger394
12000 km in just under 4 weeks.
Well done...that's a good solid ride, and pretty good daily average of over 400km's.
Now don't ya feel better for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger394
PS just found the rattle..my rear disk is loose (breaks stll work fine) but its banging up and down..not sure if something has broken of just lost a screw or bolt somewhere. Hmmm .

Anyway all up a great trip, thats another off the bucket list.
Clangy rear rotor... thats not uncommon as its a "floating" disk. 2 options I know of.. replace with the newer OEM disk (5 point I think?, or is it 10 point, can't remember..) or an EBC disk.... or you could try the numerous options of putting paste and other gunk on the back of it... you'd have to search the threads... "cowbell" is usually a good starting point.

Congrats on making it safely!
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 3:20 am Thread Starter

Re: Coast to Coast Byron Bay to Perth and back.

Yeah it was a great trip, Hmmm more money...So thats new rear disk ..60k service at around $900 and a new set of Tyres...ho hum

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 4:30 am Thread Starter

Any ideas what a new disk will cost me?

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #5 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Garage

Hi Macca
I have bought from here
for me and a mate they offer great service, but make sure you get new pads all up about $160.+ post. shoot them an email for a quote. a genuine Rotor is nearly $500. I put my ebc on at 30k now done 110k not a peep

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2012, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Linton,
Ive sent off a quote to them. As im not mechanicly minded, is it much trouble to replace this yourself or would you recomend takeing it to a shop?

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #7 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Garage

I have changed 2 sofar
quite simple to replace its done on the centre stand just whip out the rear wheel remove the rear caliper leave old pads in and force the old pads back in with levers or what ever till they cant go in any further, remove the disk you might need a heat gun on the allen bolts to help break the locktite, then there are 3 more allen bolts to remove the abs ring thats about it then reverse to refit install new pads lots of info on the site if you get stuck the magic word in the search is "cowbell" it will bring up heaps of stuff

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2012, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Coast to Coast Byron Bay to Perth and back.

Ordered a new rotor and new pads from Beemer boneyard, hope to get them sometime next week.

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #9 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Garage

let us know how you got on they are quite easy to fit just take your time, I see the web site showing them out of stock I hope they have one for you.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2012, 4:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
let us know how you got on they are quite easy to fit just take your time, I see the web site showing them out of stock I hope they have one for you.
I got the order comformation to say the the parts have been shiped..just have to wait till they arrive. Then the fun begins.

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #11 of 12 Old Jan 17th, 2012, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Well parts arrived from Beemer Boneyard today, good service, one week from order to delivery.
One problem, got the disk off, but do you think I can get the 3 bolts holding the ABS sensor out! NO! Now I think I may have stripped the head. Any suggestions?

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #12 of 12 Old Jan 17th, 2012, 10:30 pm
cws

Garage

My brake pads and oil kit was shipped on the 5 Jan (6th here) and only just arrived today too... you got lucky!

ping the question on the LT main forum, you should get a quicker answer from the whizz-techs

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in