define frustration - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 6th, 2011, 6:38 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Red face define frustration

Some 5 weeks since I put the LT in to the shop get the repairs from its tumble during our trip, along with an 80k service... and was originally told it would take 3 weeks for the paint shop to repair/paint a couple of parts that insurance said "no" to new bits of plastic.
Went to pick it up tonight, only to discover that the team had kindly decided that the map-light wiring that runs my GPS and a little usb plug was "unsafe" since it is pulling power from the thinnest wire on the bike, so they kindly rewired it for me to the front foot-area powerlet outlets. Mind you my wiring has been in place for about 4-5 years with no problems....
For some reason they didn't think the front powerlet outlets were constant live....??? apparently they are all switched power on other beemers...
Maybe they didn't notice the glowing little red light from the usb plug that said "hey, I'm ON"... even though the key is OFF.. and this after they threw a new battery in it because it was dead when they tried to start it (thankfully under BMW warranty since its just less than 2 years since my last battery change).
So tomorrow they have to strip the bike down again and rewire it back to a switched power source.... sigh...
I miss my LT and I HATE riding that stinking little Suzuki 500 they gave me to get home....

I wonder what else I might find "different" after they've put it all back together again...

rant off....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 6th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Garage
Re: define frustration

hey Chris
apprentinces work well with no supervision they now everything right
sounds like it wont be long till you get yur LT back talking of flat battery, I finally got around to cutting that blasted ipod wire that drains the battery, I put in a switch used it twice to kill the power each time I turned off the bike and thought this sucks, so I fitted a 12v relay to an acessory wire now when I pull the key out the relay shuts off the ipod works great

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 6th, 2011, 5:52 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Hi Linton, yeah hope tyo get it back this afternoon now... then it will be double-check everything again.... and then $PAY$.

Trying to think through what you did with the wiring, I guess it works the same was as mine does now... (you using a DICE?)... with switched power it loses memory so doesn't maintain its settings.. its till works, but not quite as I'd like it to.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 6th, 2011, 6:33 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Chris you gotta keep her out of the shop.
Probably done in good faith but really a PITA with lack of system knowledge.
Glad your nearly back riding.
Cheers.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 6th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Hey Chris

I hope your not trying to compete on those $pay$, mine is at $6K at the moment and climbing, at least yours will look different when you get it back, whilst mine will be >$6k and still look the same.

Cheers
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 7th, 2011, 1:28 am

Garage

yep cut the same wire as you actually I used your picture to guide me thanks but introduced a relay so at the start of the ride the ipod kicks in, and if I have to stop for fuel etc. pull the key out in accessory pos and it keeps the live feed to the ipod when key is off access relay is off, no power drain and yes I have dice silverline pro

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 7th, 2011, 3:36 am

Garage

Chris, Im curious about who your insurer is given the decision to deny panel replacement.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:50 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Hilton: you know I'd love to keep it out of the shop... I just ain't worked hard enough to retire yet and have the time to do it... unlike some

Colin: OUCH$$$, seriously... $6k just on the ABS, or is there a lot else going on? ... and mines just back the way it was before the trip... it was already looking good, but a bit dirty..

Linton: ta mate!

DadiC: QBE insurance... in fact they've been pretty damn good, I have no complaints with them. I think the only part they denied "replace" was the top cowling where the arm for the windscreen popped out and scratched the corner of the plastic, so thats been repaired and re-sprayed. Maybe they sent some other bits I'm not aware of too, but right under-panel, tip-over cover & silver edging is all new, and so is the facia panel for the instrument/speakers area, that had a crack at the edge near the mirror.

Got my baby back yesterday afternoon..... very tentative riding for the first 3 minutes, then it all came back very quickly. God its a damn beautiful bike to ride.
They rewired the gps power to the rear aux powerlet outlet, where I have everything else hooked up to.
Now the only issue is my Motolights on/off switch is upside down ( )... hopefully I can pop that out and flip it back the right way again without hurting anything....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Hi Chris
When I dropped it off they undid the screw holding the boot on the final drive and black oil came flowing out, luckily it is not the dreaded final drive failure, seems just a seal, so, ABS, repairs to wiring (Tyre was rubbing against the loom for the towbar), repairs to the final drive and service, I had to tell them to stop at $6K. Will still need to replace both front and rear tyres, although the rear has only 1K it is the wrong tyre (I knew this was the case when it was installed but no other option at the time as the previous was down to canvas) so tyres next months pay. Of course we do own BMW'$
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Cool Re: define frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinh
Hi Chris
When I dropped it off they undid the screw holding the boot on the final drive and black oil came flowing out, luckily it is not the dreaded final drive failure, seems just a seal, so, ABS, repairs to wiring (Tyre was rubbing against the loom for the towbar), repairs to the final drive and service, I had to tell them to stop at $6K. Will still need to replace both front and rear tyres, although the rear has only 1K it is the wrong tyre (I knew this was the case when it was installed but no other option at the time as the previous was down to canvas) so tyres next months pay. Of course we do own BMW'$
Hi Col,
and the dealer in this rip off scenario is ........................?? just so that I at least can avoid and hopefully others reading this....

I have bought the last couple of sets of ME880 tyres from MotoHansa, which also included a valve replacement/balance of course....

Yes...had the oil leaking outta the boot scenario on Beryl Beemer, "$8" pinion seal failure...(plus 3 FD failures etc etc etc) as for the tyre rubbing on the trailer wiring loom, was this not something you could have pottered around with?? service probably cost "$5-700" inc parts ?????? which leaves a big chunk attributed to the ABS problem....Beryl is '99 vintage and I have probably used the front ABS maybe once in 11 years...(rear brake is pitifull so hardly ever use that anyway) maybe my riding in city traffic has completly dulled my senses by now...just changed the front pads weekend before last, (knew I had to check them so bought spares at MotoHansa on the way home)..."almost" down to the metal but not quite...great catch, and got 10,000kms from them...them pesky traffic lights turning orange "almost" at the point of no return is a right PITA....and if you happen to be in a vehicle "somewhere near by, but not close" you would probably hear me saying as much..GGGGrrrrrrrrrr

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Hi Phil

Yeah, not sure they are a ripoff, I used to run a work shop myself in the electrical trade, they have been honest and upfront from the beginning and are working with me on the price, I will reserve my judgement till we have finished the repairs, the cost of the ABS units is the pain, just hoping the FD lasts after spending this much $$ on the unit.
Yes could have repaired the lights myself (they rang me as soon as they found the rubbed wiring and asked if I wanted to repair it myself, but I do not have access to a workshop or decent work area, so will let them do it.

Will let you know how it ends up when I get the bike back, and go through the bill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in