Clymers manual for K12 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 30th, 2011, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Clymers manual for K12

I got a new copy today from the UK, very well written, but I note they do not allude to aligning the drive shaft universal joints on re-assembly (Section 13, p. 419). Very important to make certain the universal joint axes are on the same plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 30th, 2011, 9:31 am

Re: Clymers manual for K12

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
I got a new copy today from the UK, very well written, but I note they do not allude to aligning the drive shaft universal joints on re-assembly (Section 13, p. 419). Very important to make certain the universal joint axes are on the same plane.
I'm positive that I 'did not' make it a point to align the u-joints when I re-assembled ole Toad's drive train. It may have happened, butt purely by chance. I used the OEM manual, which I believe doesn't mention to do it either.

However, on later review of the many threads and posts here on the site, I prolly should have done that. Don't know if, by not doing the u-joint alignment, I'm heading for a disaster in the future, or if I should go back in there and do the u-joints alignment procedure. Not keen on doing that. Been several thousand miles since the re-assembly.
post #3 of 6 Old May 30th, 2011, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

I would strongly suggest you take the trouble to do the rework, as when 2 uni joints are not assembled on the same plane they will work against each other at 2 times turning speed, i.e. twice per revolution of the drive shaft. This will lead to a shortened life of the joints and cause vibration through the drive shaft assembly, which, depending on the severity, may also adversely impact the gearbox output shaft and final drive pinion shaft.
Sorry to be a pain but prevention is better than cure.

post #4 of 6 Old May 30th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
I would strongly suggest you take the trouble to do the rework, as when 2 uni joints are not assembled on the same plane they will work against each other at 2 times turning speed, i.e. twice per revolution of the drive shaft. This will lead to a shortened life of the joints and cause vibration through the drive shaft assembly, which, depending on the severity, may also adversely impact the gearbox output shaft and final drive pinion shaft.
Sorry to be a pain but prevention is better than cure.
Dennis - thanks for the reply. Reading your bio, I definitely don't disagree with you. I got no smarts in that area at all. I just wonder why, if it's so important that the phase/plane alignment be done, why is it not mentioned in any of the tech manuals - especially the OEM shop manual.

Dang - now I gotta take all the Loc-Tite off the splines too, huh?!?! j/k.
post #5 of 6 Old May 30th, 2011, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Dick,.... yep, sorry 'bout that but without getting too technical I can attempt to explain the physics associated with uni joints. As the angle across each joint increases it causes the shaft to actually accelerate and decelerate twice per rev. The greater the angle the greater this effect. That's why constant velocity (CV) joints were invented as they generally have at least 5 internal pivot points so this phenomenon is almost diminished, but CV joints can only be produced down to a (relatively) large size, not compact, as is required in the K12 application. Now, back to the case, if the 2 uni joints are not aligned so they are both doing the same thing at the same time, then the 2 X effect is multiplied (doubled in this case) because there are 2 joints. The further out of alignment (phase) one assembles the joints, the worse the effect, until they are 90 degrees opposed, which will be the worst, then is starts to reduce as they become closer to being aligned. get the picture ? The only saving grace with the K12 assembly is that the angle through the uni joints is relatively small, so the effect may not be so noticeable, nevertheless the damage will still be done if left uncorrected for long enough. Best regards, Dennis.
post #6 of 6 Old May 30th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Hey, thanks much Dennis. If interested, I'll letcha know what I find when I get the opportunity to tear into it. I'm definitely interested to see how far in or outta the 90* phase I got 'em by luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in