New to this forum since purchase of K12 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 26th, 2011, 2:31 am Thread Starter

New to this forum since purchase of K12

Hi all, just thought I'd better do the right thing and intoduce myself. Located in Tassie and ride all year round, no problem with a faired bike. Previously I had a 1988 K100RT which was in need of semi-restoration. Got it all up to scratch and have now toured 5 times in Vic, NSW and ACT, always 2 up with my wife.
Upgraded 3 weeks ago to a 2005 K1200LTE, mainly for the comfort really, but an awesome bike in my opinion. Purchased it from Noosaville and rode to Melbourne in 2 days, easy !! Testament to the comfort and ability to chew up the K's.
Fitter & Machinist by Trade, post graduate diploma in Maintenance Management and working as a reliability engineer. I have an interest in all things mechanical, like to do all my own maintenance (wrenchin' as the Americans say). I've written a bit of tech stuff for the K100 forum of the last few years, hope to continue with that as well. The 1988 K100RT is for sale should anyone be interested or know of someone looking for a good clean example which is reliable and ready to tour. PM me for full details. Best regards and ride safe, Dennis Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 26th, 2011, 3:12 am

Garage
Re: New to this forum since purchase of K12

welcome Dennis
we are a small little group here in OZ I met Chris (cws) from Sydney the other week and had dinner with them, it was great to put a face to the name hopefully well meet up one day for a beer or two, glad to hear you are mechanically clued up cause this bike will keep you broke if your not , . I do all my own servicing best thing I bought was a little electric screwdriver, there are a lot of screws I can strip her completely in about 20 minutes these days. and just a tip the air filter is "under the bloody fuel tank" good thinking on their part

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 5 Old May 26th, 2011, 5:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks Linton, yes I knew the air filter was tucked under the tank, but then I was never really that impressed with the air filter position on my K100RT either. Oh well, the overall package is pretty smick to say the least, and the servicing won't be too much of a challenge as this is my interest.
I use a Ryco Z418 oil filter on K engines, is that widely known ? I procrastinated over it for ages, even researching the filter bypass valve settings on the Ryco vs the OEM and they are very close. I did it for the convenience more than anything, Ryco is easy to find anywhere.
I'm currently waiting on a copy of the Clymer manual, do you suggest any other publications / media to assist ? Hoping to cross the Nullarbor next September (2012).

Best regards, Dennis

post #4 of 5 Old May 26th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Let me know if you are ever on this side of the pond again in Melbourne - we could catch up for a ride or two!

Cheers
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Thanks Linton, yes I knew the air filter was tucked under the tank, but then I was never really that impressed with the air filter position on my K100RT either. Oh well, the overall package is pretty smick to say the least, and the servicing won't be too much of a challenge as this is my interest.
I use a Ryco Z418 oil filter on K engines, is that widely known ? I procrastinated over it for ages, even researching the filter bypass valve settings on the Ryco vs the OEM and they are very close. I did it for the convenience more than anything, Ryco is easy to find anywhere.
I'm currently waiting on a copy of the Clymer manual, do you suggest any other publications / media to assist ? Hoping to cross the Nullarbor next September (2012).

Best regards, Dennis

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #5 of 5 Old May 26th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Garage

I have the downloaded pdf version and just printout the section I need its been ok I havent had any big dramas to need something like a climers, I rebuilt my diff prior to the albany agm I would have made it back but the brg did show wear best guess is it would have failed probably in the next 20k there is a video in this forum Thanks to one of the usa guys, I watched it twice then done the job still cost $400 just the parts, I must say that this is an easy bike to work on,

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in