Availability of custom seats for R12RT in Australia - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 13th, 2010, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Availability of custom seats for R12RT in Australia

Have just taken delivery of a new RT - my first BMW - I love it already with only 500km on the clock BUT.. the seat sucks for me. I have had a Corbin seat on a previous bike - it was pretty good, but not like how the Russell seat sounds when I read reviews (I found the Corbin seat a bit too firm, and gave me a sore tailbone after a couple of hours).

I could order a Corbin (which is probably better than the stock seat) but would really like the Russell, but you have to provide a pan for them to build on - all very complicated.

Does anyone know of anyone is Aus. who makes something similar to the Russell, or any good custom seat for the RT?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 10:17 am

Re: Availability of custom seats for R12RT in Australia

We ship to Oz...

Here's a recent review you may be interested in reading: KonTour Seat Comparo - Ducati GT 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 3:30 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Rob.
Not for RT but for an LT, I had a custom seat done by Rick Mayer in California.
Bought a heated seat pan from Beemerboneyard and had them ship it direct to Rick, and then he shipped final product to me. It took a while and was a slightly painful process, as he's not what you'd call a "good business man", but the end result has been fantastic.
I looked at Ron's (well, at his site) and read lots of reports of all different seats rebuilds, but eventually went with the RM conversion. I think any would be better than stock seats, and our dollar is much better now. My seat cost over $750 delivered a few years ago... I think our dollar is better than parity at the moment, so roughly 1:1 exchange will see you do it much better priced.
Good luck, just read as many reviews as you can!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Garage

well chaps I have one of Ron's (s/h newly recovered seats) from the states and it did make some difference but I am resigned to the fact that I will get off ervery 2hrs for a break, Can't be bothered riding till the LT runs out of fuel anyway.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 1:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I saw a seat for a GS the other day at Moto Hansa which looked a similar shape to a Corbin. They told me that it was made locally by a guy who will shape a seat for you. I also took the bike in for a service at Procycles at St Peters and they recommended a guy at Carlton (in Sydney) who will also shape a seat. When Inrang him, he was familiar with Corbin seats and seemed to understand pretty quickly what I was after. Given the price difference, I think that Incan afford to experiment with a locally made seat before committing to something from the US.

As for Axle's comments, I probably agree that a break every two hours is probably as much as I want to do these days - just makes a long tripnto Melbourne or Brisbane which i like to do a couple of times a year.

Will let you know how my locally built seat looks and feels when I get it done.

Rob
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 2:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
We ship to Oz...

Here's a recent review you may be interested in reading: KonTour Seat Comparo - Ducati GT 1000

Do I need to send you a seat pan to work on or do you provide? Assuming you can provide a pan, how soon could you get one to me?

Rob
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 5:50 pm

The man to see in Oz is John Moorhouse Ergo Seat covers Corbin Vintage and Modern

Unit 4, 3239 Old Cleveland Rd, CAPALABA WEST, QLD, 4157
Phone: (07) 3245 3979 Mob 0419 730 589
Google Maps url is http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl It is the row of units with Roadhouse on the footpath.
He is a one man show, so persevere on the phone as he is worth it. Try the mobile too. He may be on holidays at the moment.
Did my R1200RT seat in short time and cheap too. Top job as well. I sent him my seat to be lowered 40mm and got it back within the week. He used to have a basic website, but it appears to be down at the moment. He is the man around here. You will see a number of comments about him on google.
Bye
Col

Riding to see it all. Ulysses No. 57123
R1200RT

post #8 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
well chaps I have one of Ron's (s/h newly recovered seats) from the states and it did make some difference but I am resigned to the fact that I will get off ervery 2hrs for a break, Can't be bothered riding till the LT runs out of fuel anyway.
Our seats are custom made for each individual customer according to many different parameters. They are definitely not one size fits all like almost all other "custom" seats are.

If you bought one second hand it was not designed for you - and if it doesn't have a Polar Mesh cover it is a first generation design that was discontinued in 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2992.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	30111  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty6north
Do I need to send you a seat pan to work on or do you provide? Assuming you can provide a pan, how soon could you get one to me?

Rob
You need to provide an OEM seat for us to work with. They can easily be sourced and delivered for about $50.00 or so, and the condition of the vinyl cover does not matter. We can deliver by mid-February at this point - by the end of the month we'll be well into March production dates.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 5:31 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Our seats are custom made for each individual customer according to many different parameters. They are definitely not one size fits all like almost all other "custom" seats are.

If you bought one second hand it was not designed for you - and if it doesn't have a Polar Mesh cover it is a first generation design that was discontinued in 2007.
Yeah Ron I knew it wasnt made for me when I got it but hoped it may have been ok, actually it is better so now I got 2 seats that are not much good "dosen't matter"

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 4:33 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Availability of custom seats (etc)

Hey Ron,
just a thought about the "Polar Mesh" being breathable... whats the chance you could produce a "seat cover" that could slip over a leather (or vinyl) seat, just for those bum-sticking super hot days.... ????

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 4:19 am

Garage

Im picking up a 5 month old 2010 RT tomorrow that has a brand new BMW Comfort Seat installed.
I have pretty long legs and I think that its 28&1/2 inch height will be too low for me.
If anyone in OZ is interested send me a PM and we can work out a price.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in