Trailer brakes do you need them? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Trailer brakes do you need them?

Hi all been a bit quite here for a while so here is my latest improvement "disk brakes" on my kamparoo sprint, I nearly got cleaned up after the Albany agm not my fault of course, car failed to stop at a red light. ABS was full on both wheels skidding and bum puckering, thinking well times up and it's gonna be ugly. The trailer just kept pushing, annnnd.............. we missed but it did prompt me to install a braking system on the trailer had lots of fun but in the end well worth the effort cheers all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1474.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	29359   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0629.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	29360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0630.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	29361   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1478.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	29362  

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2010, 4:57 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Trailer brakes do you need them?

Hi Axel, neat job on the brakes BTW.
Just a couple of questions please.
What does it all weigh when packed up and ready to tow.
Also do you have much storage space.
Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2010, 8:06 am

Re: Trailer brakes do you need them?

nice work Axel..........how does it handle?.................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Hilton
fully loaded about 230kg +/-. I have 2 bins in the floor and the space between the mattress and the roof/floor for storage, I run a 35ltre waeco fridge on the front and try to keep the weight on the tow ball at 30kg. it is wired up to 12V, the battery is on the underside rear and charges direct off the bike.
Jim It handles great, the hardest part is getting it rolling, which I mastered long ago with the other trailer, hitting a dip in the road while cornering lets you know it is there, the back end of the bike will twitch and how bad depends on the size of dip in the road. I just set the cruise on 100kph and forget 100000km and going strong no problems to date.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 5:55 am
cws

Garage

Hi Linton.
Good to hear you think they are worthwhile having. Hope to be testing out over-ride brakes on a trailer one weekend soon as well..., part way through putting the towbar on (Classic Ind.), electrics etc will have to wait till after Snowy ride.
We've decided to hire a camper trailer from Elite for 2 months for our trip, rather than buy one.
Went back to all the photo's I took at the Coffs AGM to see how everyone had mounted their towbars and electrics looking for good ideas.

Hey, anyone know if you have to remove the Classic towbar to take the rear wheel off to get a new tyre mounted (only 4 bolts), or is there enough room to drop the wheel without removing it?

BTW, Portland is an overnight stop on our itinerary...!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 6:24 am Thread Starter

Garage

Chris thats great news make sure you let me know when abouts you will be in the area.
Classic is the only tow bar you will get here in OZ "that I know of" and yes you have to remove it to get the wheel off, but only if you dont have a hoist, only four small bolts hold it on scarey really, I dont even think about it when its tyre time just part of the drill. I have read all the articles from the states how you need special connections and relays etc. for lights I found this to be not the case with mine, I just spliced into the wires and have never had any worries. mind you I wired the tailer lights before I read about the many problems that might happen

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 5:38 pm
cws

Garage

Thanks Linton.
Next step is working out how to get the tail-light cover off so I can get to those damn wires... must be in my Clymers somewhere (or the manual) :-)
Oh, and I figured that if I attach the wiring plug under the RH case, rather than onto the towbar bracing, then I should be able to remove the towbar without dis-assembling the wiring...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Thanks Linton.
Next step is working out how to get the tail-light cover off so I can get to those damn wires... must be in my Clymers somewhere (or the manual) :-)
Oh, and I figured that if I attach the wiring plug under the RH case, rather than onto the towbar bracing, then I should be able to remove the towbar without dis-assembling the wiring...
Chris - assuming you're talking about the LT's tail light fixture, click here. Good luck - easy to do.
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 6:07 pm
cws

Garage

You're a gem, Dick, many thanks.
I was being a bit lazy since I've just gotten back to work from a weeks holiday :-)
Looks like a no-brainer now..
cheers!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:01 am
cws

Garage

Hey Linton, just noticed your new Avatar!
Damn... how come each time I've been there (twice) its bloody well snowed and you can't see the damn mountain!!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 3:14 am Thread Starter

Garage

funny how's this, I as "team leader" picked the path to travel, ended up going the wrong way up and down dale never saw the damn water and come out at the car park one down. I think she muttered a few times . "you are a dick head" and that avitar was the closest we got to cradle mountain end of story

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hey Linton, just noticed your new Avatar!
Damn... how come each time I've been there (twice) its bloody well snowed and you can't see the damn mountain!!!
LOL...I'm with you Chris, both times there on the LT you could swear it was the same day that you took that photo... I'm doubting that it is ever clear there and Linton's has been 'photo-shopped'...laugh

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 4:18 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Ian. Nice to see you cruisin' the boards....
hows that little family going, grown enough to allow you to get another bike yet?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in