Plumbers Van "1", Beryl Beemer "0" but soon to change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 1:10 am Thread Starter

Cool Plumbers Van "1", Beryl Beemer "0" but soon to change

Well you just gotta ask yerself whatcha gotta do to keep yer bike spick 'n span?

ok....had a day off on Tuesday a couple of weeks ago cos worked all Sat night til 05:30 Sunday, and, as you do, you play tennis on yer day off.

Sooooo down the courts at 08:00, and parked in the middle of a designated space (to avoid dipsticks from opening car doors and banging yer bike). A white Plumber's van parked on one side and my mates new S3 Audi on the other.

Busy playing tennis teaching Federer style shots, (which is why I have to work all night Saturday to 05:30 Sunday morning) right alongside the car park and CCCRRAASSSSHHHhhhhhh....huh?

Chief dipstick Plumber reversed out of the car space alongside Beryl and swung the front end hard around to line up to drive out. Beryl was on the side stand and the front of the van just nicely tipped her over on the RHS....missing the S3 Audi by "that much".

Well that didn't do my tennis composure much good at all after that. Ruined my day....but I'm sure this has ruined this plumbers fortnight or more.

Picked Beryl up, got details of the plumber (as you do) and the obligatory "didn't see yer bike mate..really sorry"...(do people actually do this when they really see a bike I wonder??)

ok...off to BMW dealer in the afternoon for damage check.....
Notified my insurance company next day.

A week later my insurance send info that I need to take my bike to an independant insurance assessor...ok....just down the road from work so no probs.

see the assessor who is ticking off the parts quote list from the BMW dealer and happen to see the end dollar figure.........................

$3900

Geeeeezeezzzzzz that sounds expensive....(also includes labour and 10%GST)..hah

The assessor has reduced it down to $3500 with "repairs" rather than replace.

Beryl is in her 11th year....189,000kms on the clock, and insured for around the $16k or whatever....a number of more years down the track and having a tip over from the side stand will = a write off....hahhahahah

ah well the lesson is beware of Plumber's vans ...I suppose....

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 2:43 am
cws

Garage
Re: Plumbers Van "1", Beryl Beemer "0" but soon to change

Ouch.. don't take much to get the $$$ counting upwards, does it!
Similar happened to TYC in a parking lot at at Maroubra Beach summer twice gone.. think that was about $3900 in repairs... on "her" insurance.
Dealers love these jobs I think, easy money for them.
Hope Beryl gets some shiny new bits

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 8:21 am

Long ago I had a friend who had "calling cards" he left on windshields... "There is a motorcycle somewhere .. .can you see it ?"

You just can't fix "stupid" tho....

Sorry for your troubles!!!!

What are they going to "repair"?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:41 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: Plumbers Van "1", Beryl Beemer "0" but soon to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Long ago I had a friend who had "calling cards" he left on windshields... "There is a motorcycle somewhere .. .can you see it ?"

You just can't fix "stupid" tho....

Sorry for your troubles!!!!

What are they going to "repair"?
Hi Deacon,
Yeppppp "stupid" seems to fit,
ok lets see what they have listed:
repair and repaint RH pannier, RH mirror cover, RH belly fairing

replace these following items:

M52532308674 Moulding, PA
M63142305718 Reflector
M46717682400 OAR F/rest
M46712332736 F/rest rubber
M35212332283 Pedal rear
M32722332895 Brake lever
M46637653620 Coverin
M46632347101 Safety bar
M46637651106 OAR Mould
M46632347164 OAR Bracket
M52532308673 Moulding PA
M63142305718 Reflector
M51167670954 Cap RH Mirror

the front brake lever they are going to repaint to try and get rid of the scratches as opposed to a new one.

Problem I now have is that they say they'll want Beryl for about a week to strip parts send for repaint/repair then put back on....which leaves me without a bike for a week. Insurance or dealer will not supply a loaner bike.....and I am not really optimistic that the Plumber guy would entertain a "letter of demand" form me for the hire of a bike for week, so would need to initiate some legal blah blah blah.....boring!

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 9:17 am

"repair" ... hmm.. that should be interesting... I might recommend you stop by to inspect the parts before "reinstall"... you don't want to be 2 years down the road to find the repair is now failing.

Here in Texas they "guarantee" the repairs for "current owner".. when you sell, the commitment ceases.

That isn't a huge list of parts, but amazing how the ground impacts so many... Hopefully they caught them all... So, when the parts are initially removed, might be a good idea to check other stuff...just in case they "missed" something...

As for being "without" a bike... they should provide a rental cage....if this is your only wheels.

I hope your "week" goes by quickly...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in