Trailer - buy, hire, borrow... or forget about it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 19th, 2010, 7:32 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Trailer - buy, hire, borrow... or forget about it?

Finally got my long service leave approved, so its planning time for a trip round Oz next April-May - clockwise route around the coast starting from Sydney.
So many things to consider for an 8 week trip and ~18,000km, when you have to think of more than yourself....
So, to thoughts of a trailer.. is it really worth it (I know the answer is probably yes).. and if it is... buy, hire or ??? is borrow an option ???
I've been looking at trailers for a couple of years, but have no concept of what would be best for an 8 week trip, and its quite likely not going to be used again after that.. well, who knows... I'd have to find somewhere to store it.
I've seen Hilton's beautiful Bushtec... not in my price range, I'm afraid.
I've followed Kevin Connelly for quite a while with his trailer (don't know the make) and it seemed nice and stable, basically just an empty shell to pack things in.
There seems to be a lot of trailers advertised in the Ulysses magazine too.

Any words of wisdom from you trailer owners (particularly in Oz) about makes, towbars etc?

.... and stepping up to a new set of Ohlins is definitely on my mind too... starting to research them for suppliers and whether to try to install myself.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 12:32 am

Cool Re: Trailer - buy, hire, borrow... or forget about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
.... and stepping up to a new set of Ohlins is definitely on my mind too... starting to research them for suppliers and whether to try to install myself.
G'day Chris...hmmmmmm 8 weeks off work sounds nice...probably very addictive though...

There's a guys at Penrith that sells Ohlins, I got my front Wilbur shock from him, plus he also refurbished the stock BMW rear that I dropped off to him. Think he cuts the top off the rear unit and refits with a Honda cap and seal section so that it able to be taken apart, also fits valve for regassing. from memory his name is Sean, and the company is Suspension "something" I have probably written a procedure somewhere on here if you want to install them yourselves. Need all the tupperware off as normal....wanna schedule with fuel and air filter changes..

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 4:17 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Trailer - buy, hire, borrow... or forget about it?

Hey that's great news Chris. Finally talked some sense into the boss hey
Sorry Jenna Junior is so far away, pleased to have let you and Kerry borrow for the trip.
You will need an isolation relay to power the trailer lights. Uses the bikes loom to trigger the relay to supply the trailer. Both Bushtec and Dauntless make them to suit the LT, maybe others.
The hitch I use is the one supplied with my trailer, and I'm very happy with it. One point with this type: to remove the rear wheel, ie on the side of the road, takes about 10 minutes longer, as it has to be removed before the wheel can come out. Dauntless type have a different design and I believe it allows you to remove the back wheel more easily.
Can highly recommend the full 360 rotation type hitch. Saved us quite a few times.
+1 with Phill (Ga'day) with the Ohlins or Wilbur upgrade. Great decision.
Talk to Sean.
SOS Suspension
Unit 7/9- 11 Able St
Penrith NSW 2750, Australia
(02) 4732 5533
He was very helpful.
Have a good one
Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 6:49 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Re: Trailer - buy, hire, borrow... or forget about it?

Thanks guys.
I don't think Jenna junior is old enough to be separated from her Momma... ;-P
Thanks anyways, of course Hilton!

Phil, yes... have been re-reading your threads about SOS, and Hilton's given me the details so I'll get onto Sean.

Any thoughts on the different suspension types? Reading the manufacturers websites, you get both sides of the "mine is better" syndrome.. leaf springs v torsion bar or whatever it is...
spotted a couple of "Classic" trailers for sale in the Ulysses pages... making enquiries.

:-D

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 12 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 5:50 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Plans are starting to move along nicely... tested towing a hired camper trailer from Steve Melchoir at Elite Camper Trailers yesterday, pissing down rain and through some very tight hilly curves from Stanwell Tops down to the coast and over the Sea Cliff bridge, then up the Bulli Pass, and at Freeway speeds (110 km/h) on the F6 back to Steve's place ...
Barely noticed it was behind me... just a hint of extra weight, and I think any hesitation was more nerves on my part in the inclement weather than any issues actually towing.
Some more pics of the "unit" are here, very happy with the outcome.
Even managed to wire the lights correctly first go...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 12 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:22 am

Garage

Hey Chris glad to see you out and about the elite is a nice unit, I personally think fully loaded it is to heavy for the LT thats why I got the cub, but you will need to watch for things like stop lights on hills etc, the LT is great ONCE you get it rolling. but when it is hot in stop and go traffic your main concern is to conserve the clutch. minimal amount of RPM to get it rolling, get the clutch out as quick as you can.
I throttle off as soon as it is moving, then release the clutch then throttle on, it will pull away no probs wind her up to 100kph and flick in the cruise, sit back and enjoy, by the way I got 11,300k out of my last a rear metz so you will need a new tyre some where along the way
chers Linton

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:32 am

Garage

I just returned from a 2 week holiday 2,5000km and averaged 6.3 litres per 100km using premium all the way had a great time, I spent all day today servicing and cleaning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0223.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	761.0 KB
ID:	29720   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0245.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	904.5 KB
ID:	29721   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1021.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	29722  

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Nov 30th, 2010 at 4:49 am.
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 5:26 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
I just returned from a 2 week holiday 2,5000km and averaged 6.3 litres per 100km using premium all the way had a great time, I spent all day today servicing and cleaning
Sounds like you had fun! Where are those pics from?
With you on the clutch/throttle.. Very wary.... But I found the Elite surprisingly easy to start moving with very little difference to the way I move the bike off now anyway, learnt that lesson ( burning clutch plates) the hard way.
Wasn't fully loaded though, so expect it to be a little heavier to get away. I've got the same unit for a test run over Xmas for a few days, so that'll be interesting.
Expecting to either put another new rear either before I leave or maybe Perth, depends on how many K's I put on this recent set in meantime.
But at least the basics are coming together... :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 12 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Garage

I run my rear a bit high over the nullabour should have brought the pressures down a little from 48/42 umm maybe 43/38 6000k of straight road, still had the full sidewall tread when I changed it out and canvas the whole way round centre,
had to fit a metz z6 interact radial before trip on the rear it handled great until I put the trailer on its been like riding a snake, it dont look too good now but I will run it out, I hate radials
pic 1 Hume wier
pic 2 lookng out on murray river from side of road
pic 3 overlooking mallacoota

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:30 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
I run my rear a bit high over the nullabour should have brought the pressures down a little from 48/42 umm maybe 43/38 6000k of straight road, still had the full sidewall tread when I changed it out and canvas the whole way round centre,
Ahh, interesting advice, thanks Linton.... Maybe need to carry a "darkside" spare rear just for the Nullabor run, eh...
Out trip plans put us in Portand overnight on Wed 6 April, so look forward to meeting up with you if you're around.
Been going through all the caravan parks for the overnights, whats Henty Bay Beach CP like?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 12 Old Dec 1st, 2010, 12:21 am

Garage

cp is about 6k from town right on beach If you want quiet it would be good, there are 3 parks in town and there is always a free bed here, its just us and the dog and I will be just arriving home from the AGM, good timing

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 4th, 2010, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Plans are starting to move along nicely... tested towing a hired camper trailer from Steve Melchoir at Elite Camper Trailers yesterday, pissing down rain and through some very tight hilly curves from Stanwell Tops down to the coast and over the Sea Cliff bridge, then up the Bulli Pass, and at Freeway speeds (110 km/h) on the F6 back to Steve's place ...
Barely noticed it was behind me... just a hint of extra weight, and I think any hesitation was more nerves on my part in the inclement weather than any issues actually towing.
Some more pics of the "unit" are here, very happy with the outcome.
Even managed to wire the lights correctly first go...

Hi !! Pretty cool trailer .. not sure that kind of camper is available in the US, but I noticed the surge braking system on it.. that must really make a difference as the LT does not have to do the entire stopping job.. WAY COOL !! I am envious.. 8 weeks for a trip..Well someday ! Keep us all updated on your progress and trip !!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in