Track day test - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 2:38 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Track day test

A group of work colleagues occassionally take their sports bikes to Eastern Creek for "Ride Days".
One had to pull out at last moment for last Saturdays Ride Day, and I had the joy of filling in on TYC.
Now I'd never been on a track day before, but had heard tales of "others" who had taken their LT's out and had a ball.
And I have to say... SO DID I!!!!!

Very cool seeing the rev's redline, while screaming down the stright trying to hit 200kmh (which I think I did once, got it to 190+ a few times).

It was amazing experience learning just how well the bike handles at speed, really feeling the pulling power (especially when passing a few sports bikes),
and even throwing it into turns.

Now the LH pegs are scraped just like the RH ones!

I'm told TYC and I were pulling "consistent & respectable 2'15"s" around the track.
If you're interested seeing some .avi's and some pics of how the LT travels (I know, they're copyrighted, but I'm in the process of buying the originals from the photog...!) click on link below & download...

ftp://ftp.al.com.au/private/dfb/060211/

I'm still grinning...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 9:46 am

Chris

I loved the videos....especially the last one where you spin up the rear wheel coming out of Turn 12, then power wheelie down Pit Straight to accompanying ooohs and ahhh's.....its hard to see on the video, but we know the LT + rider did it!

Overpowering the R1 outside the pits was a bit gratuitous though :-)

You made it look fun and easy. I hope to be there on that track sometime myself this year. How much was the day and who organized it?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 4:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, know what you mean.

It's a great way to safely push a bike to its limits, and to find out just what the LT is good at and what it isn't. Sure looks like you had fun.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 5:21 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Ahhh, now I considered taking the top-box off, probably should have done, but it caused more more disconcern for the sports-bikers to see the full-blown two-up tourer winding out down the straight...
I had to hire full leathers which is a very safety-wise rule they have.
My boss (from work) actually took a tumble on the same day from a sports-bike, charging a little harder than he should have. The leathers saved his butt, but smashing the helmet, tearing the leathers, gloves, boots, and the damage to the bike made it a very expensive day for him.
For me it was $200 all up well spent, though I think I'll be in for some new tyres a little earlier than I would have otherwise.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 5:31 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Ralph, it was booked through Eastern Creek Ride Days
http://www.easterncreekridedays.com.au/
although I went with a group that bulk-booked (oroadsports) as a fill-in, so it was a little cheaper than it would otherwise have been.
So, you can just book yourself, they hire the leathers, helmets boots, gloves etc if you dont have them. You can hire 600 Triumphs to ride also. Price is reasonable, unless you dump it and have to pay the excesses. I only used their leathers and gloves, used my own boots & helmet.
There were 4 groups to cover first-timers through to racers, although they are very strict with overtaking etc and ensure that its not treated as race practice. Most of the time I was in the "slow" group, but many of them were still tipping into turn 1 at around 200+kmh. Even the slowset riders (a couple of ladies) were doing at least 140 into turn 1, it felt that safe.
I can recommend you try it, 'cause you run at your own pace, you don't have to try and keep up with anyone unless you feel comfortable about it, and you soon know who and where you can overtake with the LT's pulling power.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 8:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
We also had a guy go down early in the day. He was on a K12RS, and just throttled up coming out of a corner while still leaned over and exceeded his traction limits. He was fine, and we managed to bend the bike back enough so he could ride again, albeit a lot more cautiously.

Made me not feel so bad after being passed by the same guy on a mountain road early that morning heading to the track.

We didn't need full leathers, but when I signed up they asked if my jacket and pants zipped together. They did, but no one at the track ever checked.

I usually take the top box off when riding solo. The bike just feels a bit lighter and more nimble. I once rode a whole weekend around central California with a dozen mixed bikes and the guy on the other LT finally said "You were really flying. What kind of bike are you riding?" He had no idea it was another LT. Later that night, we went in search of BBQ fixings and I got this picture:

The LT isn't the perfect bike, but I'm still amazed at how well it does so many different things.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 8:33 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
ha, ha, a FEAST!!!

My S.O. wouldn't like that, no room for the hairdryer.....
Mind you I joked to her that I now had to find a trailer that could do 200kmh and take corners well. She mumbled something about "her bike" not being allowed to go to the track again....

Maybe if I take off the top box AND the back seat....!!

Oh, for some fun...
pictures of "the Boss" taking his tumble at:
http://www.jpmphoto.com.au/Galleries...ow/index_8.htm
it starts the frame before the spill, he's in the bg with his knee down!!!!
Photog got a great sequence...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 8:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
But can he get a knee down on an LT?

Amazingly enough this guy pulled it off, though he did say the rear tire was pretty much in a full slide at the time. I don't think I'd want to try it.

Maybe that's why these guys can't get the LT back up after a slow speed drop. They just weren't going fast enough.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 12 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 2:23 am

Talking Sik maaaatttttteeeeee

Wow Chris and Meese, fully sick photo's, way to go maaaattteee.

Don't know if I could do that on my LT . I'm sure the bike will handle it no worries, just a lot of concern that the rider night exceed his comfort zone. Then his SO will make sure the comfort zone doesn't exist anymore for him.......

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #10 of 12 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't recommend any of those moves two-up. Though two-up at a track day might be fun, as you scream past the newbies. Gotta have the right passenger though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:35 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
I'm thinking a bevy of LT's screaming into turn 1, one after the other or side by side, would blow the minds of the normal crew.... 2-up or not! ;-P

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 2:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
I'm thinking a bevy of LT's screaming into turn 1, one after the other or side by side, would blow the minds of the normal crew.... 2-up or not! ;-P
We were hoping to have just that experience at Road Atlanta during this year's CCR, but someone else seems to have swallowed up all the track time. Apparently the Bostrom & Hayden brothers have invited a few friends along to play.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in