The BMW is Gone - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 1:57 am Thread Starter

Unhappy The BMW is Gone

G'day all

After much mechanical issues with the LT's clutch, my beautiful wife and I made the hard decision to get another bike. We located a '98 Honda Goldwing trike in Canberra and did the change over. The wing is extremely comfortable and ready for our trip across the Nullarbor in a couple of months time for the Ulysses AGM. Here are some piccies:

Our concern with the LT was the clutch letting go whilst travelling over and leaving us high and dry. The LT is a very comfortable bike and I was looking forward to doing the trike conversion, but stronger minds prevailed. I would like to continue logging in here as there are some top blokes around.

This is Mrs Dogs and my Christmas, birthday and wedding anniversary present to ourselves for the next 5 years.

Merry Christmas all and have a safe 2010. Maybe see you over there in Albany?

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 8:19 am

Re: The BMW is Gone

Merry CHRISTmas, BD..

sorry to hear the troubles were insurmountable. All the best for your new life as a Wing Nut!!!
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 9:00 pm
cws

Garage

Merry Xmas to you and the missus Bigdog.
Now you have no excuse not to join the frontliners at the Snowy Ride... heh heh...
enjoy your big trip... Im hoping to do same around Sept next year!
cheers & beers
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 6:37 am

Big Dog,
I just joined the forum today, this is my 2nd post. You mentioned clutch problems... My '99 LT is sitting at the Caloundra dealers at the moment, with a burned out clutch. I come from Cessnock, have been up to Airlie Beach, clutch started to slip near Rockhampton. Got worse the next day, but then something else happened, I could not shift lower than 4th gear, then couldn't shift out of 5th. So here I was at Miriam Vale, a small town about 60 kms south of Gladstone, stuck in top gear with a badly slipping clutch. The nearest BMW dealer about 400 kms south at Caloundra. I managed to ride her 330 kms... by then the clutch wa slipping so badly that I couldn't make it up Black Mountain. It got to the dealer by tow truck.
I can't fathom why both the clutch and gear selectors both failed at the same time... bad luck or are the problems linked?
Were your problems similar, and if so, did you find out what happened?
They can only start work on it next week, when I'm supposed to be back at work so I can't ask them what they found.
PeterVadas
Ulysses # 38591
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 5:26 pm
PCH

Question Re: The BMW is Gone

Hi peter
I live only about 5 kms away from Coastline. let me know if you need any help whilst it is there. I am away from Saturday for a week, bringing my 2008 RT back from Alice Springs on the scenic route ( as many back roads as possible, but happy to help out if necessary
regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Smile Re: The BMW is Gone

Paul,
Thanx for the offer. Fortunatley, I have a friend at Landsborogh that I am staying with at the moment. I will be okay for the trip back home (by car), and will fly back to Brizzy when the bike is ok.
Reading around the forum, others have had similar problems, and they cost heaps to fix.
Have a great ride back, though I believe the inland is getting wet. Take care.
PeterVadas

[email protected]
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
PCH

Good luck with the repairs. Let me know if you need a lift up from BNE when the time comes.
I intend to go to Adelaide direct, across the Vic centre and then up and down the coast mountain roads, so inland flood should not impeed ride.
regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVadas
Big Dog,
I just joined the forum today, this is my 2nd post. You mentioned clutch problems... My '99 LT is sitting at the Caloundra dealers at the moment, with a burned out clutch. I come from Cessnock, have been up to Airlie Beach, clutch started to slip near Rockhampton. Got worse the next day, but then something else happened, I could not shift lower than 4th gear, then couldn't shift out of 5th. So here I was at Miriam Vale, a small town about 60 kms south of Gladstone, stuck in top gear with a badly slipping clutch. The nearest BMW dealer about 400 kms south at Caloundra. I managed to ride her 330 kms... by then the clutch wa slipping so badly that I couldn't make it up Black Mountain. It got to the dealer by tow truck.
I can't fathom why both the clutch and gear selectors both failed at the same time... bad luck or are the problems linked?
Were your problems similar, and if so, did you find out what happened?
They can only start work on it next week, when I'm supposed to be back at work so I can't ask them what they found.
PeterVadas
Ulysses # 38591
G'day Peter and welcome to the forum. My apologies for the late response, work has been getting in the way. Mate, I hope by now that your problems have been solved and that you got out of it not to expensively.

My problems started at around 19000 kms when the clutch started to slip under load when doing a top gear roll on with the throttle. It got progressively worse until June last year when I took her off the road to do the cxlutch myself. What I found was the rear engine seal had started to weep so letting the slippery stuff into the nice dry clutch plates.

I replaced the seal and clutch plates but I didn't bed the engine seal in deep enough so when the motor turned over, it ripped the inner lip of the seal out and drenched the brand new clutch plate with oil. Mea culpa, you try to save money by doing it yourself and you spend almost as much as if you got a professional to do it. After replacing the seal and another clutch plate, the bike finally got back together and after a run up to Forster in November for the weekend, found it still slipping. The next weekend we went to Canberra and rode home on the wing trike.

I was really happy with the LT, but the weakness in the clutch and expense for replacement parts sort of dulled the pleasure a bit. Mind you though, Munich Motorcycles in Perth I highly recommend for parts and delivery to the east coast as they're a lot cheaper than the east coast suppliers.

Ride safe mate and hopefully we'll see you on the road as I'm only at Lake Munmorah.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in