HID Hi Beam wires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

HID Hi Beam wires

Greetings guys.

I hope you're all getting geared up for the festive season. Just one thing....keep it safe.

My DDM HID kits arrived last week. I purchased the H7 and H3 kits. The low beam really was snap out the old bulb and clip in the new HID bulb, drill the 22mm hole in the back cover, pass the wiring loom through and tie up the ballast and away. However, it seems BMW in its infinite wisdom use a unique hi beam bulb holder in there. What is the process in modifying the bulb holder to allow the HID bulb to function?

Cheers to all

Paul
sa.

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 2:12 am

Re: HID Hi Beam wires

Paul, I just joined the group and this is my first post. I installed the HID H3 kit to Kay just before leaving for Queensland at Chrismas time. I had to drill, ream & file out most of the plastic part of the holder before the globe would fit through, but then had the problem that the globe would not stay in place, so used Hi-temp silicone to hold it there. A small problem surfaced in that the globe is not exactly positioned right, so the hi beam was too high in relation to the lo beam, so I adjusted it all the way down, resulting in a lo beam that is too low. I will correct that when I get home, when I install the lo beam kit I ordered. The hi beam is SO much brighter than lo, that I straight away realised I needed both!
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 4:48 am
cws

Garage

Hi Paul (& welcome Peter!)
If I recall correctly, when I did mine I did some surgery on the tabs of the bulb.... not the holder

yep.. just did a thread search, here's what I wrote at the time..
"With the high beam (H11) I'd read the comments of others about not fitting, and looked closely at the plastic tabs. The flatter top tab is fine, but the 2 lower angled tabs are a little too long, and too wide at the bottom edge. I used a fine Dremel tip to cut down these 2 edges until the bulb could fit snugly into the socket like the original halogen. No need to hot glue or use any tape or adhesive."
These were with Fashtek group buy bulbs, dont know if they are same as yours...

Hope you got it together OK.
best

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 5:57 am

Hi all,
Yep, same deal as Chris with me...worked on the bulb not the housing...

Cheers and hope all are well,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for that info gentlemen. It's very much appreciated.

I'm also toying with the idea of purchasing the new Zumo 660 too. I've been running my super faithful Nuvi 760 for three years now without problems, but I'm waiting for vibes or a little moisture to take its toll on this amazing GPS unit. I'd hate for it to die that way...it deserves so much better. I guess I'll just keep it for the cars and finally pull my finger out and stop trying to save a few bucks and get the bike dedicated Zumo model.

Cheers gents.

Paul Harrington
E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in