New battery for Beryl Beemer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2009, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Cool New battery for Beryl Beemer

Ahhh how mundane this is going to be you all say....welllllllllllllllll

After having a zapp from the AED (Automated External Defibrillator) to get over Beryl's biological parent's replacement battery at a cost of $369 I thought I may spend some time trying to see if I could get an alternative organ donor.

Beryl, over the past winter has been starting to send me signs that her life support system was needing to be replaced.

Beryl was on her third pacemaker, which I bought on 08 Mar 2005 for $159, being a genuine replacement maintenance free unit. Got sick of the wet cell systems, having to check electrolyte each month. So that one has lasted 4.5 years at $159, which equates to $2.94/month. Hmmm seems reasonable.

ok, time to find an alternate donor.

Phoned Yuasa help desk, who gave me a local supplier in Top Ryde, called Battery World. They stocked a wet cell unit 51913 for $159...Same cost as installed unit but wet cell, nahhhh what else do you have, they could get an Odessy high cranking unit 24a/h for $345....huh?????, or a Pulse unit (installed in small chinese cars) for $255...hmmmmmm still expensive.

Shane T in Rocky had already done some leg work in finding an alternate supplier called Ritar for his K12LT and only paid $85, but was specific for Queensland (slightly demented Aussy state to the north of the real world for those outside of the Aussy coastline).....

Eventually found a supplier here in Sydney, but out at Penrith (Sydney outer suburb 45kms away from home). He was waiting on stock to arrive but could get a "Fullriver AGM" 20a/h maintenance free sealed unit for $100. Wooohoooooo this sounds better.

Discovered that there is also a supplier much closer to home (10kms) that gets a delivery from the Penrith company each day...wayyyyyyyyyy better.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk yeahhhh ........getting tired writing all this stuff....

The company is called Alco Batteries, Penrith if you live out that way addy is 15-17 David Road, ph 4722 2588.

The closer Alco Battery to me is at 8 Robert Street Holroyd ph 9637 1544 guys name here is Dominic. Extremely helpful. Dominic also contacted the Port Macquarie depot as I was planning to ride to Port Mac on the weekend to get my watch fixed. Port Mac depot at 5 Jindalee Road, ph 6581 4455 (Robert or Michael)....and the best thing is that Dominic gave me a price of $75 for a sealed maint free Ritar 20a/h battery, which has a 12 month warranty.

Working back to the cost per month scenario, this Ritar would need to last 25.5 months (at 2005 prices), or at todays prices 10.9 months.

The battery is the same dimensions at the BMW version, same battery post config, it does have some plastic sleeving around the posts, which you need to slip off, and the overall battery post cover needs amending, but for $75.....????????????

If you are not in the areas I have listed, call Dominic who will i am sure help you to find a closest supplier. Dominic will also need to phone through to your local supplier to say the cost he has advised you of should the local depot price be higher.....

Hope this helps those that do not have an AED close by...

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 7:28 am
cws

Garage
Re: New battery for Beryl Beemer

yeah..... but what make is the watch that makes it worth going all the way to Pt McQ to get it fixed... that trip's gotta be worth more than the battery fix alone... :-P
have a fun ride, Phil!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:03 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: New battery for Beryl Beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
yeah..... but what make is the watch that makes it worth going all the way to Pt McQ to get it fixed... that trip's gotta be worth more than the battery fix alone... :-P
have a fun ride, Phil!
Battery??? whatcha mean battery??? it's actually an Omega Seamaster that I have had for about 34 years...SWMO bought it as a birthday/xmas pressy before we were married. Smashed the crystal glass with my tennis racquet whilst doing a serve...groan..... The glass is about $90, and have a "family" friend from some 25 years back jeweller that moved to Port M. he's replaced the glass on the other occasions that I have dinged it...<bigger groan>.....aggghhhh the pain of it all. the weather was crap so put off the ride with SWMO until the sun is shining again.

cheers

Phill
1970 Honda 750cc four K1

Ulysses 18430

post #4 of 5 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 12:35 am
cws

Garage
Re: New battery for Beryl Beemer

Hey Phill... wish I'd paid more attention to your battery info....

The day before I was due to leave for the Snowy Ride... my battery died while briefly parked on my way to work.
Called BMW Assistance, and they got a towy despatched to me pretty quickly... great piece of mind when out on the road, worth the $90 or so to keep it covered...
Picked me up (it was raining, and a very dodgy exercise getting up a slanted steel pick-up tray) but they got me to Procycles at St Peters to check the problem, and then get a new battery in. Cost me over $400 for an OEM installed, but at least it was sorted so I could get away next morning.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 5 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: New battery for Beryl Beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hey Phill... wish I'd paid more attention to your battery info....

The day before I was due to leave for the Snowy Ride... my battery died while briefly parked on my way to work.
Called BMW Assistance, and they got a towy despatched to me pretty quickly... great piece of mind when out on the road, worth the $90 or so to keep it covered...
Picked me up (it was raining, and a very dodgy exercise getting up a slanted steel pick-up tray) but they got me to Procycles at St Peters to check the problem, and then get a new battery in. Cost me over $400 for an OEM installed, but at least it was sorted so I could get away next morning.

I knew that this info would be priceless for someone out there...but $400???????aggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh Animal logic is obviously paying you wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooooooooooo much. yeah...great price I thought (for my one...not yours)....$400...F############c####!....no wonder I looked around for an alternative......
Yepppppppp BTDT with the flat bed thingy...cant say it is on the top of my list to do again....Beryl beemer is now over 10 years old and BMW didn't send me the annual BMW care subscription this year......so hopefully I dont need their services again. I think they came out on top overall with all the years that I subscribed to.

Filled up with fuel last monday and discovered I have another fuel leak from my fuel tank....it may be the same crack in the tank that I had about 5 years ago, and needs repatching with some of the 3M goo....at least I can fill up 3/4. Looks like Beryl gets to be stripped again for fuel cell repairs, fuel filter, air filter etc etc over the xmas period when i get some public holidays off.

Phill
1970 Honda 750cc four K1

Ulysses 18430

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in