Bike-round OZ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 2:16 am Thread Starter

Bike-round OZ

Howdy boyz

I have screwed around and let my ridding buddy talk me into accompanying him on another one of his ďdream ridesĒ. Yes this is NOT the first time he has done this to me, guess you could say Iím a slow learner, and the pisser is I wasnít even drunk when I agreed to go!!!!

So this time he envisions a little trip down under to yawlís big island, oops I mean continent and so far the trip planning and preparation is coming along nicely.

The itinerary so far is arrive Sydney 23 January, retrieve and uncrate the bikes then head southeast. Weíll be playing it by ear with no real itinerary and the only deadline is departure from Sydney on 1 March.

At this point the only hitch we are having is a delivery address and a place to store the shipping crates while we are out enjoying the country side. The shipping we are setting up is door-to-door so no real work involved.

So the question we have is, does anyone have personal contact with someone at the dealer in Sydney or any other bike shop that might be willing to act as our agent for the delivery and pickup of the bikes?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to offer and looking forward to meeting some of yawl on our ride-about

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
I live in my own little world, but itís okay they know me here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 25th, 2009, 9:52 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Bike-round OZ

Hi Tom.
Unfortunately no personal contacts from me, but happy to suggest a dealer name or two that I've dealt with you can contact to at least start a discussion.

BTW, I'd recheck your itinerary, if you head south-east from Sydney airport, you get to my place, and then there's a whole lot of water before you hit NZ... ;-)

One of the main Sydney BMW dealers is Procycles.
They have a shop at St Peters, which isn't too far from the airport back towards the centre of the city (about 20 minutes away) on one of the main roads that you can follow out of Sydney, the Princes Highway.
( http://www.procycles.com.au/contact/ )
They also have a shop in the northern suburb of Hornsby.
I use them because they are close to my work if I have to get something sorted urgently. Storage space might be an issue for them.

I bought my bike from a little further north (about 1 hours ride north of Sydney) at Worthington BMW ( http://www.worthingtonmotorcycles.bmw.com.au/ )
Great dealer and I've found them very good for service.
They are on the edge of one of our outer urban cities, so a bit harder to get to but a great place to start a trip from, right near the major freeway that runs north/south (F3).

Alternately, there's a dealer in Wollongong too, about an hour south of Sydney, but I havent dealt with them.

Here's (click) a pic of the location of some of the dealers above, in relation to Sydney Int'l Airport.

Others might hopefully chime in with some alternatives, there's plenty of bike dealers around town, just not many BMW....

good luck with your trip, just remember, Jan - Feb is summer here, can get very hot (40+C), and quite often get bushfires which can affect travel options on roads.

cheers
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 23 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 5:13 am Thread Starter

Hi Chris

Thanks for the contact information, it will give us place to start. After I get back from our ride to Finland Iíll start working on the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
BTW, I'd recheck your itinerary, if you head south-east from Sydney airport, you get to my place, and then there's a whole lot of water before you hit NZ... ;-)

Yep youíre right it should have been southwest on the itinerary, mostly because the LTís they sale here it ďold countryĒ donít float well

As I said with the shipping being door to door, the only logistic problem will be for Hartmut and I getting around, so in that since the closer to the airport the better, so will see how it goes.

Tom
1999, Sweetheart

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 7:38 pm
cws

Garage

Also try these guys (the bike shops might put you onto them anyway..)
http://www.ezy-movers.com.au/index.php
Not sure where they are located in Sydney, but I have seen them loading bikes at Procycles and they seemed to be pretty careful (at least while at the shop... )
There's a bunch of others listed on this website (http://www.mcnetwork.com.au/) but ezy-movers seem to be the most appropriate service from their info..
Will try think of any other options you might have (unfortunately I don't have the space to offer you guys storage.. ..)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 23 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 3:30 am Thread Starter

Hi Chris

Thanks again, I think this information is what we were looking for, should be able to find everything we will need with these links, I hope, if not weíll be writing ya

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
post #6 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:44 pm

Have you thought about freighting your bikes with Qantas - it's the only airline which lets you strap your bike directly onto a pallet or into a container. No crating required, just isolate the battery and no more than 1/2 a tank of fuel. It means that you may pay more for freight however you get to have your bike with you up until you travel. Check it in the day before you travel and pick it up the day after you land.

When you get to Perth look me up and I'll buy the first beer. You can pay after that.

And remember Australia is the same size as the States without counting Alaska. So you wont do it in a few weeks!

Good travels

Ken
www.kenandtoni.com
post #7 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 9:44 pm

If you ship directly to Perth, the Ulysses AGM is on a week later in Albany, a few hundred miles SE from Perth, for a week. Quite a few thousand riders will be there, and it's a magic time of the year for weather, just going into winter
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 4:17 am Thread Starter

Hi guys
Just thought Iíd post an update on where we are at in this little adventure. Bikes are in Sydney and we will be arriving on the evening of the 24th. The plan is to retrieve the bikes on the 25th, clear customs and what not, probably take most of the day and leave Sydney on the morning of the 26th.

It looks like Ulysses AGM in Albany is doable so if anyone has more information about it please donít be shy

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 4:09 am
cws

Garage

Hi Tom, congrats on getting so far with your plans!
Just to bring you up to speed, you get in on Sunday 24th Jan, Monday 25th is a work day.... but Tuesday 26th is our national holiday Australia Day!
Whether that will have any effect on your plans, who knows.... but you'll be under great pressure to go to a BBQ somewhere, have lamp chops and a few beers... and NOT go riding afterward!
http://www.australiaday.com.au/

Where will you be picking your bikes up from when you get here?

cheers
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 23 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 4:50 am Thread Starter

Hi Chris

Thanks for the heads-up on the Holiday. If everything goes according to plan it shouldn't be an issue

We are staying at the Coogee Sands Hotel and the bikes are at Warehouse Solutions 11 Bumborah Point Road Matraville NSW. From my understanding that's within a few miles from the hotel.

We were told by the shipper that the bikes have been cleared through customs, so hopefully all that we will need to do is un-crate them and be on our way, that sounds good in theory so we'll see how it really works

My riding buddy is somewhat of a shutterbug and would like to get some photos of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House before leaving Sydney Tuesday, so his question is do you know of a location to view them from? GPS information that would get us close would be great.

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 4:26 pm
cws

Garage

Tom, your bikes are about 1-1.5km from my house!
Coogee is about 10-15 mins from my place too.
Call me when you arrive and get settled in, would love to meet you & Hartmut on Sunday afternoon/evening for a drink and chat about your ride plans.
I'm hoping to go around OZ in about Sept/October this year.

My mobile phone (cell) number is 0418 411 499.

best regards

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 5:37 am Thread Starter

Chris
Thanks, we will definitely need to meet at some point but not sure if Sunday will work. Or flight doesnít arrive until around 19:30 if itís on time, and not sure how long it will take to get to the hotel. Could be a little on the late side, but weíll see.

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 7:46 pm
cws

Garage

OK, late arrival... you'll be pretty stuffed, its a long sequence of flights.
I'm at work Monday, so maybe Monday evening...
anyway, you have my number... give me a call if you need any assistance at all!
Maybe we can catch up Monday evening or Tuesday morning.
cheers, and have a safe flight(s)!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 23 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 3:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks Chris
Weíll give ya call Monday.

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 10:07 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Tom.
Here's a link here (you can zoom on the map) to a bit of a route from
1. where you pick up your bikes, to
2. your accomodation at Coogee, then
3. up past Bondi Beach to the Heads (Watsons Bay) then around the Harbour and back to accommodation.
There's a good pub at Watsons Bay to stop for lunch and look down the harbour!

Being Australia Day on the Tuesday, traffic will be shit, and some roads closer to Opera House & city area might be closed off..... the route I've given will take you to some vantage points where you can stop along the way and take some snaps, you might have to wander off onto some side roads to find the best spots, as its main roads I've roughly listed.

Hope to catch up with you Monday!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 23 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 4:24 am
cws

Garage

The boys made it to Sydney!

Tomorrow we'll do a little ride around the Sydney beaches and to the Harbour... before they head south toward Melbourne....

overlooking Coogee Beach..

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 23 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 8:19 am
PCH

Hope you guys have a great trip. If you make it to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, let me know and I will show you around.
safe travels.
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #18 of 23 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 6:41 pm
cws

Garage

Hartmut & Tom got away yesterday after a 2 hr run around Sydney Harbour.. its was hot (~ 34 deg C) and holiday traffic didn't make it too much fun..
They were headed to Melb, a 9 hr ride down the freeway.
There's a few more pics here

The boys ready to leave Coogee...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 23 Old Feb 12th, 2010, 5:13 am
cws

Garage

anyone come across the boys in their travels, and know where they are?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #20 of 23 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 6:13 am
cws

Garage

Update... Tom & Hartmut are back in town, Monday 22nd Feb...
3 weeks & 6 days to ride around Oz... Can't wait to hear the stories and see the GPS mapping!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #21 of 23 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Are They back home? Enquiring minds want to know how the trip went, problems, the good the bad etc! And Pictures.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #22 of 23 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:19 am
cws

Garage

Yeah, they flew out on the Monday, a few days after getting back.
Unfortunately I missed catching up with them, the weekend before they left was Mardi Gras in Sydney and also Chinese New Year, so accomodation prices were through the roof. After packing their bikes up for shipment the boys hired a car and got out of town until they flew out...
Hopeful Hartmut and Tom might post some pics and a few notes about the trip.... ?????

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #23 of 23 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 7:07 am
cws

Garage

Hartmut provided a few photo's... so time to share

here's where they went... travelling clock-wise from Sydney (at about 4 o'clock on the map!)
14,731 km.... in under 4 weeks

and here's a few more pics from the journey Clicketty-click

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in