Twelve days to spend touring from Sydney, NSW? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Question Twelve days to spend touring from Sydney, NSW?

My wife and I are doing a bike tour of New Zealand in January, 2010. We have two weeks set aside for a stop-off in Sydney in Februrary. We are planning a few days to hit the high points in Sydney and then have arranged a campervan hire for twelve days. At this point neither of us have any specific desires - just to see and experience the best that is possible within this short timeframe. If any of you could offer up some itineraries for a 12 day trip out and back to Sydney, it would be very helpful. Coming from Canada we are used to long travelling days but we would prefer a relaxed pace. Any other tips and suggestions on good campgrounds, etc., would be great.

Thanks mates,

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 5:20 am

Re: Twelve days to spend touring from Sydney, NSW?

G'day Yiet

Depends on what you want to do really. Around 2 hours north of Sydney is Newcastle and from there you have a pretty good base of operations to go winery hunting if that's your thing. Hunter Valley wines are getting a pretty good rep worldwide now. We're still a fairly young country too, only 211 years old (white settlement, 60,000 years old with indigenous settlement) but we do have a rich history. Heading south along the coast there are some more wineries down that way, heading inland over the Blue Mountains you can get onto the western plains. Maybe do a lap of the mighty Mt Panorama in the Winnie??

As for some info, try:

- www.nrma.com.au for maps and touring hints
- www.travelmate.com.au for maps and travel times / distances. Just be aware that they recommend most travelled route, locals could show you some short cuts and quicker times
- www.big4.com.au for caravan parks around the country

As the time gets nearer, let us know and maybe we can touch base. Have a local show you around?

Cheers

David

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 5:19 am

January is peak bushfire season in NSW: just remember that whilst planning! And while I would recommend heading south and west for some spectacular coastal and mountain scenery, the fire season moves that way, peaking in February in Victoria

We could be lucky, but it's an important issue to consider.

The coastal area south from Sydney, down to Mallacoota, is simply stunning, with great places to see and stay. From Malacoota head down to Bairnsdale in Victoria, than up to Omeo along one of the prettiest roads in the High Country. Branch off at Omeo up the Great Alpine Road, maybe stay at Dinner Plain and then drive on through Mt Hotham ski resort, down a fascinating twisty road to to Harrietville, Smoko, Bright and on to Albury. Or go through Omeo to Anglers Rest, staying at the Blue Duck, then over the newly sealed road to Falls Creek ski resort: one of the best motorbike roads going, newly sealed after being a dirt road since it was a horse track! Falls Creek down to Mt Beauty, then the Kiewa Valley to Albury.

From Albury back to Sydney is either a ~8 hour cruise along the Hume Highway, or duck off north to inland NSW, maybe Mudgee, and back into Sydney via the Blue Mountains.

Have fun

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2009, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the great tips. I can tell that I will be wishing I was on a bike instead of a campervan. We are planning to spend a few days in Sydney and then hitting the road on Feb 7th until 19th. Any more suggestions on things not to miss in this area would be great.

Gerry

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 1:21 am

February is going to be generally hot and humid on the East Coast near Sydney and away from the coast is going to be hotter Even though its hot however most coastal areas have cool afternoon sea breezes.

Fortunately the school holidays have finished so accommodation at caravan parks shouldnt be a problem.

So personally I would stick to the coast this time of the year. I live at Port Stephens about 200 kilometers north of Sydney and a million things to see just around that area - will include a few photos at the bottom of this burst

Looking North from Gan Gan Hill at Port Stephens

view North from a favourite mid rid cafe looking north from Port stephens to Seal rocks

Shoal bay looking back to the headland of the mid ride cafe ( my 1300 and my partners learner legal)

Again not sure if I will be around at the time but give a ping coming up Xmas if your heading north out of Sydney.

Good idea to do the biking in NZ - the road surface is much smoother for bikes than some of our goat tracks in Oz

Last edited by Calyfragic; Jul 2nd, 2009 at 2:19 am.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Great pics and the suggested tour should work well for us. Is there a decent GPS that I could buy with NZ and Australia data/maps and then sell at the end of the tour? Any suggestions on model and source for purchase?

Thanks again for all the help.

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 4:15 am
cws

Garage

Do you have a GPS already?... if so just get the maps...
If not..
Garmin, Navman, TomTom.... they all have local maps, different features and different weird issues.... but all useful.
Good chance you can hire one with the vehicle which I'd presume would have the latest maps... check to see what they offer...
cheers
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in