Canberra Awareness ride - Sat 28th Jan - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Canberra Awareness ride - Sat 28th Jan

So, anyone else partaking in this ride to Canberra this Saturday?

http://www.netrider.net.au/calendar/...details&id=335

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:27 am

Love to but.........

... did my back in over Christmas and am still getting physio. Be a good run on the LT, except for the boring bit down the Hume .

Hopefully will be able to ride the bike again in a couple of weeks. See what happens.......

The ones that do go, ride safe and protest loud eh?

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #3 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:43 am

Not this time

Chris,

Taking Friday as leave to turn it into a 4 day weekend and Jen and I and the LT and Uni-go are heading south, not sure to where but down Batemans Bay way and points further south....

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 6:23 am

Chris

What are the main current issues for Australian riders which would drive participation, especially at the Federal level? Is it specific matters, or general awareness?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Hi Ralph. I think like anywhere, at least in the cities, its just general awareness.
Yesterday while going to work I had a cage veering left across my lane as we rounded a sweeping LH corner at around 80kmh, they could not have taken the proper precaution of looking over his/her shoulder before starting to move across. Didn't bother indicating either.
A few seconds blast on the horn and a quick flick of the wrist to ensure I was in their sight lines got them pulling back to their own lane again, thankfully. Its always amazing how the "slow drift across" always seems to slow down time, you watch it unfold and hope for the best outcome...
A friend who attended a previous Canberra ride some years ago, I think this is the third time its been run, tells me it was great, a huge number of riders took part, so I'm expecting to see a few thousand bikes by the time we hit Canberra.
The ride down the main freeway is pretty boring as a rule, since there is a good 2 & 3 lane highway pretty much all the way from Sydney to Canberra these days.
I know a number of riding roups will hit the backroads for a more interesting ride, I'll have my partner with me though, she's not so into the quick bends, so it'll probably be a cruisey run for us, around 3-4 hours down, then back again.
And its not often a group of bikers can officially shutdown the main road into the nations capital....!
So generally I guess it to raise awareness through media publicity, put a show of strength in numbers to the lawmakers/politicians that there is a large voting group on bikes, and have a fun ride for the day! At least thats what I'm hoping for.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:49 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Hi Daz.

I wish you fair weather and a great ride.
Would like to catch up sometime and have a look at the Uni-go.
Seriously starting to think about a trailer, pity the Uni-go's still seem to be unavailable, even from the new US manufacturer from the web info.
There seems to be plenty of 2-wheeler suppliers in OZ though, which might suit the carrying requirements better in the end. I'm determined to be able to take my kneeboard with me ;-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Yeah, watch that back big-dog. Did mine a few years back, wound up having an op to get it sorted. Pretty much right now, with limitations.
Great excuse to seriously consider the 05/06 models with the hydraulic centre-stand though . That was a major consideration in my choice.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 3:33 am

Thumbs up Thanks Chris

That's the idea mate, to try and look after the back as the LT is not really a light weight. There was a thread in the K1200 forum a couple of days ago where someone was able to get the 05 centre stand unit and fit it to their (I think 03 LT) and gave the post mortem on the job. Sounds really easy to do and something that I would seriously consider if someone threw one at me (all offers considered thanks ).

Have a safe trip south.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #9 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 3:34 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Awareness....

Well, this ride has just taken on some additional meaning for me.
Learned last night that an aquaintances brother was killed on Monday while commuting to work early morning near Penrith. Apparently a women pulled out in front of him in an 80km/h zone, and he couldn't avoid her. She uninjured, he dead........
I didn't know the guy, but it still hurts to hear it.
Stay safe.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Thanks Chris. I hope this ride helps the "pro-lane-splitting" proposals that have been submitted to the group working on the uniform national road code.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 8:04 pm

[QUOTE=cws]Would like to catch up sometime and have a look at the Uni-go.
QUOTE]

G'day Chris,

Anytime.... come for a coffee. I'll send you a PM with my mobile number.

Daryll

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 8:20 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Pics from the Canberra rally

Hi all. There are some pics and small videos (taken with my little Canon Ixus 500) on an ftp server, where you can access them for a short time if you're interested.
Click on the link below:
ftp://ftp.al.com.au/private/dfb/canberra_060128/

you may need to download the .avi's to get them to play.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in