Catch up... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 5:41 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Catch up...

Happy 2006 all.
After hols and a weeks hell back at work, taking 5 minutes to ponder some posts and give a holiday update etc.

1st of all , congrats Ian to you & your lady. Hope everything runs smoothly.
My eldest turned 21 a few days back..., make sure you keep a healthy bank balance for a long time, you'll need it!!

2nd, I haven't seen anyone post about the Canberra Ride on Saturday, January 28 http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/161.html
Aim is to "draw public attention to the need for car drivers to be more aware of motorcycles on Australia's roads. Thousands will join former Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson, Speaker of the House of Representatives David Hawker (on the Melbourne Ride) and other political and celebrity riders who are calling on car drivers to look out for motorcyclists."
My LiTtle TYC will be going, hope to catch up with a few others for the trip????
Let me know if anyone Sydney area LT'ers are interested in grouping together.

Ok, 3rd... I LOVE MY CRUISE CONTROL
After a cage trip to Byron before Xmas, I needed an LT blast for a few days, so bought a little tent and bedroll, and on 3rd Jan took off down the NSW south coast.
Hit Merimbula first night, peak season campsite for a tiny patch of grass cost me $45 for the night, couldn't believe it. At least it meant a hot shower in the morning.
2nd day rolled down the Victorian coast and visited Wilsons Promontory. Thought I'd better hot the southernmost point after being at Byron (eastern-most point) the week before. Camped just this side of the Phillip Island bridge, a measly $15 much more palatable.
3rd day, OK so here's where TYC took his first tumble, loaded up in the morning with the camp gear, rolled off the centrestand (on grass) with tired legs, and over she went on RHS. F#%! was the only thing I could say. Ripped off the camp gear from back seat and topbox
, remembered my LT.com instructions, put down sidestand, and with back to the beast up she came, second lift attempt after I put my feet in a better position. THAT was a wonderful feeling. No damage other than a little dirt in the end of the brake peg! A quick repack of the gear, and I was on my way touring Phillip Island for 3 hours, the GP circuit, and all the surf breaks I'd heard about over the years. Visited a mate who still makes kneeboards down there, then 1pm took off back east. Went NE to the freeway until I came to Canns River, then turned up through to Bombala, Cooma, Canberra and stayed at my sisters house in Bowning, just west of Yass. A good 1000km for the day.
I have to say the BEST bit of road was from Canns River to Bombala, all newish tarred road, long winding fast corners, what a great ride!
TYC pushed himself to 180kmh on a straight stretch getting toward dusk, not a wobble which was nice. Mind you the temp drop around Bombala to 12.5 C when dressed for summer riding was a bit much though...
4th day was a liesurly ride back up the highway to Sydney, a measly 300 or so km.
So, the CRUISE CONTROL? It was a godsend on long boring stretches, letting me stretch my arms and find all sorts of weird riding positions I'd never contemplated. Quite scary thinking back on it really!
So all up a little under 2500km in about 3.5 days of pure pleasure.

But I'm still picking bugs out from the radiator!

Oh, and thank god (or at least BMWLT.com) also for the cable ties tip... knocked my LHS side a couple of days ago hard enough to pop it off, and it just dangled there instead of dropping to the concrete. No damage! Luv it!

Hope you all have a great year!!!
And let me know if you want to meet to ride to Canberra!!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:03 am

Smile Back at you!

Happy 2006 to you to Chris and all the best to you family (in my best Con the Fruiterer voice).

Sounds like a nice trip mate. Brought back memories of when I've driven the Cann River run but have yet to have the pleasure of riding it. My dream is to one day take my dad to PI to see either the SBK or MotoGp rounds there. He's almost 71 and I think it'll need to be in the next couple of years. Did you try the Nimmitabel Bakery before you got back onto the Monaro Hwy heading north? They make the best rum balls there, saliva is pouring into my mouth right now just thinking about them .

Glad you got away with no damage when the LT went for a sleep. Hope my first drop (knock on wood it never happens) allows me to get away with the same amount of damage you had.

As for Canberra, would love to go but I've done my back in ATM. Sciatica and bursitis as well and it's making my recovery time go out a bit longer than expected. Haven't ridden the bike since the Newcastle toy run in early December last year. Talk about withdrawal.......... not fun. Ah well, gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Take care mate and ride safe.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in