Throttle cable went.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 19th, 2009, 3:34 am Thread Starter

Throttle cable went....

Hey all,
Had an interesting experience day before last...100+ km/h on the way home from work and just going over the Bolte Bridge (full freeway tollway for those not familiar) when bang, no throttle...nothing...

Managed to get myself over to the emergency lane (and pull over a taxi in doing so...laugh), got off the bike and discovered that the cable broke right out of the crimped nipple up at the throttle...

Ah well, 1 hour later (after standing on the side of a 100km zone with a 100 foot drop next to me) the tow truck arrived. Ended up being an ex-copper, so had a good chat about old times etc...

Now, apparently both of the cables have been superseded with new ones so had to order a set in through Southpark...whoops...Southbank BMW...and now still waiting for them...

Stripped the old girl (fuel tank and airbox) in readiness...

Stay tuned...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 19th, 2009, 4:06 am

Re: Throttle cable went....

Ian,
Were your original cables ever replaced? Was the throttle hard to pull? I had mine done (with older style cables) at either the 24k or 36k service and wonder how much longer they will last.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 19th, 2009, 4:13 am Thread Starter

Hi Mike,
Nope, these were the original 2000 model cables and I have done 63000kms on them...and they were not in anyway hard to pull or close...

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 19th, 2009, 4:28 am

dude the guys at bmw workshop out mitchem way, told me old cables are no longer available and the replacement involves handlebar body work and cables and cost about $500. be interested to know if this is so.

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 19th, 2009, 5:00 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
Hi Mike,
Nope, these were the original 2000 model cables and I have done 63000kms on them...
someone's working too hard.... or keeps having kids
a wonder they didn't rust out....

Sounds like that was interesting experience Ian!
Hope you get it fixed without too much bother.
cheers mate

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 13 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
someone's working too hard.... or keeps having kids
a wonder they didn't rust out....
Yeah, yeah, very funny mate....

Well...she's back on the road with a new updated throttle cable system...the rear pocket lighter to the tune of $350.00 just for the parts. Passed on the new handlebar cover and just drilled my own hole to re-route the new cables as required...

Not a quick job though... Needs a strip including the fuel tank and air box in order to get to the throttle rockers and then it is a bit fiddley to get to them...

All good now though...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #7 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Cool Re: Throttle cable went....

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
Yeah, yeah, very funny mate....

Well...she's back on the road with a new updated throttle cable system...the rear pocket lighter to the tune of $350.00 just for the parts. Passed on the new handlebar cover and just drilled my own hole to re-route the new cables as required...

All good now though...
$350 for a couple of throttle cables (cough splutter choke!!!!) huh??? you sure you haven't mentioned where you work??? heheheh

Beryl is still on her originals, works just fine, dunno why BMW would come out with superceded throttle cables...hmmmmmm just a mo, $350 for parts per bike...ahhhhhhhhhhh the light bulb is getting brighter....only 65,000kms or so Ian??? tut tut

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 1:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
$350 for a couple of throttle cables (cough splutter choke!!!!) huh??? you sure you haven't mentioned where you work??? heheheh

Beryl is still on her originals, works just fine, dunno why BMW would come out with superceded throttle cables...hmmmmmm just a mo, $350 for parts per bike...ahhhhhhhhhhh the light bulb is getting brighter....only 65,000kms or so Ian??? tut tut

cheers
And they wanted to sting me for a modified handlebar cover for the right side as well...Thanks to this site (did a search on cable replacement) turns out all that is required is a quick dremel of a new hole for the re-routed cables and bobs your uncle...did that and all is fine...

65k...yeah I know mate...something about having two children and a full time job eh? LAUGH

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 3:27 am

Hi Mate,
I replaced mine around twelve months ago {02 model) at 120,000 klm.
Didn't have a problem with the old cables other than a sore wrist after a few hours riding..
The changeover took approx four hours and quite a bit of blaspheming (trying to get the bottom end connected) because I didn't remove the fuel tank etc. I also didn't drill the 'new' hole in the bottom cover, just routed the new cables the same way as the old ones..
Cheers,
C
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col H
Hi Mate,
The changeover took approx four hours and quite a bit of blaspheming (trying to get the bottom end connected) because I didn't remove the fuel tank etc. I also didn't drill the 'new' hole in the bottom cover, just routed the new cables the same way as the old ones..
Cheers,
C
Hi Col,
wow...great work mate! The first thing I thought about was how to do this job without taking off the tank and everything that goes with that job...but I just couldn't see how that could be done...

How did you do it? I can only guess that you attached the new to the end of the old and pulled them through some how? Might have to start calling you 'Mandrake'...laugh

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 8:21 am

Glad to hear that this didn't cause a bigger problem. With the engine braking you can get from an LT, if this happened at an inopportune moment, this could be really bad. I am gald to see your post. My '01 has about 56K miles on her and the mechanic that works on it just told me that the throttle cable should be replaced. I had been considering putting it off for a while, but I think not. I'm going to get it done before the INternational Rally, for sure. Thanks for the post!

2001 Pacific Blue K1200LT
1994 Yamaha Virago 750
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 8:57 am

Now, some blokes have the presence of mind to flip on the cruise and limp home, while pulling over taxis.

Good job, Onions! You'll enjoy the new cables as they really are smoother.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Ian,
glad to hear the final outcome was good. I just replaced my cables (Same year bike) and I havea noticable difference in smoothness. I would have replaced them a few years ago had i known the difference. I am enjoying them. I did the same and modified my handlebar cover. Was fairly easy. Ride safe!
Coach

[IMG]
Brian "Coach" Landry
2000 Champaigne K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in