Angelsea area (Melbourne) - any must-see/must-do? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2009, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Angelsea area (Melbourne) - any must-see/must-do?

Just found out I'm being sent Down Under (darn the luck!) for a few days, looks like most of it will be spent around the town of Angelsea just south of Melbourne. As a first-timer in Australia, are there any places I need to see or must do while I'm down there? (unfortunately, it will be on four wheels).

Kind regards,

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Re: Angelsea area (Melbourne) - any must-see/must-do?

I'm sure some locals (Mexican's) from Victoria will pipe up. But I would take a drive along 'The Great Ocean Road' some really good scenery & beaches (Bells up the coast).
I guess it depends how much time you will have to look around that will dictate how far you can look around.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2009, 3:24 am

G'day Lurch,
Mexican's indeed...(laugh)...don't worry about that northerner's attempt at humour, they are just very jealous of us folk down south . And you will see why when you get here...

When are you arriving and how long do you have here??? From there, we can start to plan a 'must see' log for you...

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2009, 8:27 am Thread Starter

D'day, mates (or do I say como esta usted?)

The details are still being worked out. Sounds like they want me on-site April 15th, not sure on duration, but I'd guess at least a couple days, definitely not longer than two weeks. If it stretches over the weekend, longer day jaunts would work, but I'd guess during the week, I'd be limited to early afternoon/evening walkabouts. Just looking at pics on Google Earth, the Ocean Road looks like some beautiful scenery as do the scenes around the bay near Melbourne.

The USA media being so ego-centric, we don't get much news from the world unless it's bad. I assume most of the recent fires were north of this area? And I heard about an oil spill in the past couple weeks, but as I recall that was to the north as well, correct?

Thanks for all your help!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 3:30 am

Try to get along the GOR to Lorne (best restaurant is by the pier, just out of town), it's a short trip from Anglesea. Further on, get along to the 12 Apostles, try to get a helicopter flight while you're there, too. Two operators, one at the 12 Apostles tourist centre, the better one another 1-2 miles along the road, 12 Apostles Helicopters. Tell them I sent you, not that they know the meaning of the word "discount"

Coming back toward Melbourne, Geelong is a great city these days, lots to do, see and eat. Between Geelong and Anglesea is Torquay, a really nice town, and Bells Beach, home of the surf championships if you're into surfing.

Lots and lots and lots of things to do: you won't have enough time
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2009, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Angelsea area (Melbourne) - any must-see/must-do?

Well unfortunately my trip got cancelled, or at least postponed for a while. Thanks for the information... I've got it logged away for whenever the powers that be decide they need me down there again.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2009, 8:30 pm
cws

Garage

just watch the F1 race, its on in Melbourne this weekend... have a few tinnies while you do, and you'll feel like you were there anyway.... ;-P

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in