What do you wear on the bike in hot weather? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

What do you wear on the bike in hot weather?

Good day to you all, I hope you passed a couple of great days!

I am quite interested to know what you wear in hot weather downunder, or what you recommend and what the cost of it is about.

I used to ride in hot weather with a biker jacket (leather, later then fabric), a pair of blue jeans, some chopper style biker boots, leather gloves and a open face helmet (this was on my Suzuki Intruder 750 in Capetown South-Africa).

I once had a accident with this gear, but no scraping on the ground, just a frontal and direct impact with a car (stole my right of way, it was an 18 year old, alone in the car with only a learners licence and friday evening!!). It was my mistake, I saw it comming and accelerated because I thought that i'd be faster and could pass by in the front of the car. . . . . . well, i wasn't.

I was real lucky there, the lower part of my right leg was between my bike and the car when the impact happened. Even though I was able to cut down on speed to about 30kmh per hour, the impact was hard enough. My face ended up on the windscreen (no cuts, no broken bones, no blood, just a massive punch in the face), my special extended footpegs that have been engineered out of hardened machine steel, snapped right off after they ripped the front right side fender of the car in two pieces.

I was very lucky and very stupid. As I mentioned before, sometimes learning hurts. . . . .
Up to these days I do not have any feeling in the lower part of my right leg. The nerves have been squashed, I could put a knife in the leg and would not feel a thing.
A little bit more speed at the moment of the impact and the cellstructure in my leg would have gone completely. . . . I shiver when I think about it.

Thank God that it happened next to a driveaway, so I could immediately ask the people for a lot of ice for my leg. I guess this was the best decision I could made.

So what do you recommend?

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 7:24 pm

G'day PCRA

For winter riding, I have an RJays leather jacket with fairly heaving quilt lining in it. During summer, I have a Dri Rider jacket that has a zip out lining. I have noticed, especially during this summer, that it can get very hot and sweaty inside because the jacket is not vented. My wife's jacket (also a Dri Rider) is vented and she is quite comfortable in the warmer weather as she can unzip the sleeves and back to get some air flow happening. Costs can vary, my jacket was on special around $200 and the wet weather pants that went with it were around $40. My wife's jacket was around the $280 IIRC and her wet weather pants cost the same as mine. A mate of mine owns a bike shop near home (www.motocyclegear.com.au) and we get most of our gear there.

Gloves, when in cold weather, are just normal skiing gloves until funds are available for some decent winter gloves. Summer gloves have carbon fibre knuckle guards and a perforated webbing over the backs of the hands. Gloves can range up to $150.

ATM, just wear jeans but I'm looking at either getting some leather pants or Draggin Jeans. IIRC, I think the Draggin's start around the $130 mark. Website is www.dragginjeans.com.au.

Boots are waterproof RJays with carbon fibre protection on the shins, ankles and heels. Riding in them during hot weather is reasonably comfortable and you don't get up too much of a sweat.

Just keep in mind that the summer here can range in temperature from mid 20's to mid 40's with humidity that can drain you very rapidly. Was out at Sandy Hollow (west of Sydney by around 3 hours travelling) on New Years Eve and it hit 46 celcius and even at 11 o'clock at night, it was still in the high 30's.

When your riding here in Oz, just remember that the cagers are out to get you and you need to ride defensively all the time. They just don't see you.

HTH mate. June isn't far away now

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:50 pm
cws

Garage
Summer gear..

Yep, New Years Day was a killer.
I rode around Botany Bay from home past the airport (Syd Int'l) down through Brighton/Ramsgate at 7:30pm. Temp reading was still 43.5!!
I had shorts, runners & t-shirt on. I know thats dumb, but it was just way too hot. My legs were almost blistering riding.

Normally summer wear for me is:

Jeans (stretch, much more comfortable) alas no protection in them though. Should get draggins... one day.

Jacket, recently bought an R-Jays airmesh jacket. Take out the wet-weather liner cause you'll die of sweat if it isn't cold or raining, and you have a great blend of armour & flow-through cover. And in bright red its VERY visible!

Also got the R-jays air-mesh gloves, they're pretty good too.

I find normal riding boots too hot in summer, I have been using Rossi leather workboots by Rossiter (an Aussie company). Paid $120 for the first pair, now they sell them for about $70 in Bunnings Hardware for the steel-caps.
Main drawback for safety is elastic sides, so no real ankle protection. Mainly find I drag the heel in hard-cornering turns, and they're tough enough for that.

So if its for safety v comfort, I've pretty much gone for minimal reasonable safety with max comfort, especially near the coast where its not only hot, its also very HUMID, which is a real killer.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 3:53 am

Oops

Just realised that I missed the r in motorcycle gear's web site.

Correct link is: www.motorcyclegear.com.au

Owners are Ken and Glenda. Great people to deal with and discounts for Ulysses members.

Sorry about the incorrect link. Bad dog, naughty.....

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #5 of 8 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 5:48 am

This topic is regularly discussed by the US riders. I can assure you after living in both places that the temperatures and humidity reached in the US are a match to Australian conditions. The information found there is very applicable for you.

The main challenge is safety while still having some semblence of comfort. My brother is an orthopedic surgeon in Wollongong and he advises avoiding what he calls Kawasaki-disease, easily diagnosed on an X-ray. Good gear is also an undertaking I have with myself so my family knows I have done all I can (Praise Allah, but first hobble your camel).

A few thoughts:

1. The general solution is mesh gear. Early versions of this were pretty pathetic as a fall seemed to chew away the mesh much too easily. More recent iterations seem to be more robust and there have been several threads giving details of accidents where the mesh gear stood the test of a genuine fall/crash.
2. Light colours reflect light. I find this very important with pants as my legs get very hot.
3. I have worn a perforated Vanson leather jacket (bone colour) for years now, with back protector (a Knox). I love it and apart from slow traffic in humid conditions, it never worries me. I have done big days and multi days wearing it. On those slow humid days though I do wonder about mesh gear :-).
4. There are some beautiful riding boots now available with mesh areas. Pretty neat stuff.
5. The best all-round gear I have seen is the Rukka line (Airflow model?). Finnish I think. My wife has it and loves it. Its a genuine year round jacket. I think the womens may have a silver jacket now. Mens only have black/grey, thats why I didn't get it, also its a bit square for me. Should be relatively easy for you to try over there Switzerland, maybe even cheaper. I would predict it would be hugely expensive if available in Australia. Everyone that sees it or has it raves (positively).

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 5:50 am

What do i wear in hot weather living "down under"

Well, typically i get my hair and paint it every colour of the rainbow and trim up my mo-hawk a little , put in my false teeth, stamp my arms with a few extra tat's , pull on my leather studded g-string that i wear inside oput cos i love the feeling of metal/leather against my skin, put on my leather chaps, and throw on a sturdy pair of thongs (flip-flops) on my feet....

Seriously though,

Skid lid over the brain,Oakley Sunnies, Draggin Jeans Jacket, Dainese Gloves, Tshirt, Draggin Jeans, Thick socks, Sidi Vertabra Boots.

I do have a full set of Mars Racing Leathers (Made in Melbourne, Victoria) and i have worn the jacket in 45 degree celcius weather...

I wouldnt make a habbit of it. I would leave it half undone and when moving, it was ok, but come to a stop and some traffic lights, and prepare to sweat like there is no tomorrow and it was so boiling hot...
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
What do i wear in hot weather living "down under"

Well, typically i get my hair and paint it every colour of the rainbow and trim up my mo-hawk a little , put in my false teeth, stamp my arms with a few extra tat's , pull on my leather studded g-string that i wear inside oput cos i love the feeling of metal/leather against my skin, put on my leather chaps, and throw on a sturdy pair of thongs (flip-flops) on my feet....
OMG I didn't know you are riding a Harley

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 3:04 pm

The best hot weather riding gear I've ever had is the "Air Mesh Kevlar" pants and jacket from Cycle Port. It takes them a few months to make the stuff but it is worth the wait.

Pants - http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?I...ategory=Kevlar

Jacket - http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?I...ategory=Kevlar

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in