Around the Big Island - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2009, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Around the Big Island

Hi All,
Happy new year to all !
Lyn and I have retired and are off on our trip around Aust. Leaving around the time most Ulyssesians will be heading for the AGM (NSW).Mid March.
If any of you meet for a weekend coffee, and a general catch-up it would be great to have those addresses and times as the trip will be totally unplanned
and relaxed.
We're towing the shadow and camping as is where is, so no pressure, but it would be great to catch up with those we met at Coffs Harbour.
That was a fantastic sight, sixteen LT's all lined up in front of the "Hoggs Breath".
The only item fixed to out itinerary is the direction we will be heading and that is across the Big Paddock to Streaky Bay SA then following our noses until we return to WA.
If we do it in a month, I'd be disappointed but pleased to have done the trip. If we take a year it doesn't matter.
The web site doesn't appear to be as active as it used to be, so hope some of you on the other side are still riding these GREAT LT's. and reading this section of the LT Website.
Chris am enjoying the grip puppies.

Regards,
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Red face Re: Around the Big Island

Happy New Year to you mate! I had to read your post twice but translated it into Texas as follows:

I love to ride my LT with friends drank a 12 pack of Foster while writing this post.

Flame on!

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 1:49 am

Garage
Re: Around the Big Island

Hi Bruce
glad to hear you are coming this way and yes I am going to the AGM, but feel free to look me up your going past my door here in sunny old Portland if you follow the coast, be glad to put you up,,tons of room here and you must travel over the great ocean road if you haven't seen it

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 1:54 am

Hi Bruce,
Yes the Coffs' get together was just the best.. Hope all goes well with your trip around Aus'..
If and when you travel through Lismore (northern NSW) on your trip, you are more than welcome to call on us, maybe stay a night or two (plenty of room), use the washing machine etc.
Barb and I would love to catch up again..
Cheers
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Hi Col and Linton,
Thanks for the offer guys, don't know if we'll be a pain in the bum and actually stop off anywhere in particular. I'll advise as and when we travel through your states. Do either of you catch up with many of the guys that were at Coffs last year, or has every one gone their own ways?
Although I'm aware of about nine LT's over here, they're spread all over the state and you only see them when you're on the move.
I'll try and get your mobile numbers off the system, other wise I'll come back to you through this media.
Thanks again Guys,
Bruce
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Garage

Bruce
I was In Coffs with a mate he has a LT, we went looking for the you all but there was a mix up and we couldnt find any one, I did see some photo's but sadly did not meet any fellow LT riders. I did sell my back rest to someone there with a nice black LT. maybe well meet up at Penrith.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 3:57 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Bruce!

Glad you're enjoying the 'puppies, love mine too.

'Round Oz trip eh! Fantastic. That's what I want to do sometime in next year or 2 if I can get long service leave... I'm at 9 years and counting.

I'll probably do a day run out to the AGM, since its in our backyard (well, kinda at the other end of Sydney) and partake in a catch-up if someone organises something.

If you are around Eastern Suburbs of Sydney at some point on a weekend, I'm out near La Perouse, not far from the airport. If you want to do a bit of a ride around the beaches (south side) to have a look we might be able to hook up and do a little guided tour. Think you have my number already!

Have a great time, looking forward to many photos and stories!

cheers
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Hi Linton & Chris,
Yes Linton you and your mate missed the LT meeting of the year. It was great to meet up with all those guys and gals who also enjoy the pleasure of the LT.
Chris, I'll see if I can find it and when we come through I would like to rub the flesh. Should have it somewhere?
I've had retirement thrust upon me a little earlier than one would have expected, but am enjoying the life at present although damn hot for over a week now. Mid thirties is just too hot to enjoy!
We don't expect to be at the AGM as it would mean doubling our tracks, but hope to be home for the Albany AGM should you be considering the ride over the big paddock.
Thanks for the contact guys, will keep in touch as time gets closer.
Regards,
Bruce
post #9 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 6:20 am

Location: Lindlar, Nordrhein Westfalen, Deutschland / Germany
Thumbs up Re: Around the Big Island

Hallo Bruce ,

Dir und Deiner Familie auch ein gutes Neues Jahr aus Old Germany !

Hoffe sehr die Schönheit Deines Landes im nächsten Jahr mit meiner LT erleben zu können . Dein Bericht las sich auf jeden Fall sehr gut !

Bis dahin und immer genug Luft im Reifen !

Gruß

Smutje (Hartmut)
post #10 of 16 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Cool Re: Around the Big Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutje
Hallo Bruce ,

Dir und Deiner Familie auch ein gutes Neues Jahr aus Old Germany !

Hoffe sehr die Schönheit Deines Landes im nächsten Jahr mit meiner LT erleben zu können . Dein Bericht las sich auf jeden Fall sehr gut !

Bis dahin und immer genug Luft im Reifen !

Gruß

Smutje (Hartmut)
and for those that would like a quick conversion.........

"Hello Bruce, (hmmmm that seems similar...)

To you and your family I wish you a good New Year from old Germany.

I hope the beauty of your country will be the same in the next year, that I can live it out there with LT.

Your letter was very nice to read.

Til then, always enough air in your tyres.

Greatings,

Smutje"

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 5:14 am Thread Starter

Hi Phill,
Thanks for the translation, I had no idea what you were on about so simply ignored in my ignorance.
Yep we're hoping to leave heading East with members of our Armadale branch here in Perth on the 7th March. We will say our goodbyes around Streaky Bay, SA. with us travelling south to Port Lincoln and the others heading for Penrith.
For us if we attend the AGM, we'll have to retrace our foot steps from Adelaide.
So unfortunately no AGM this year, but we have Albany next year.
I guess we'll see plenty of the club heading home over the following weeks eh?
Have you ever had to tie the bike (LT) down to say a ships deck or similar?
I've read up on all the info from the main LT site, but a little confusing !
Regards,
Bruce
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Garage

Hi Bruce
Cath and I went to Tassie on the Sprit in November the Crew look after the bikes as far as tiedown goes. They had all the right gear on board. You leave your bike on the "sidestand in 1st gear" do not put on centrestand they will put straps on the front forks an maybe one over the seat I also had one on each rear foot peg. left the trailer connected to the bike then they strapped the trailer rearwards to stop it rolling forward we had 4.5m waves going over. It never moved but didnt stop me worrying about it.
Comming home bike and trailer were seperated ? different crew I suppose.
Just dont use tiedown straps on handle bars they will bend.
hope this helps

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Hi Linton,
Thanks very much for your advise.
We're hoping to do the sea crossing from North of Port Lincoln across to somewhere north of Adelaide, this cuts off having to travel up to Port Augusta.
Then all going well, I would love to take Lyn and machinery across to Tassie.
Then on up to where we turn left for the Darwin stretch.
Hopefully Townsville if the floods have receded????????
Thanks very much for your assistance.
Our webb site doesn't seem to be as active as it used to?
Regards,
Bruce
post #14 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Garage

Bruce
depends on your time table you can go from adelaide to melbourne direct or follow the coast in which case adds a few days extra to the trip, well worth going around the coast there is nothing to see going direct, I could even take you around the great ocean road, a must see experience, you come out at Geelong an hour to Melbourne. between the fires in Vic and the Floods in QL no ones going anywhere at the moment, the Victorian fires are devastating with 24 confirmed fatalities to date Melbourne has just had the hottest day in history ar 46.5+C
we spent 2 weeks in tassie and only stayed in the same place once for more than 2nights and got all the way around seen as much as we could national parks are mostly off road to get to, so didn't get to go into to many

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #15 of 16 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 7:21 am

Bruce Just reading these post has me jealous, I want to tag along, and see your great country, only work and family prevent me at the moment,

Anyway have a safe and great trip! I look forward to you posting along the way, with PICS of course, so I and others can live vicariously through you!

Again best wishes from the colonies,

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #16 of 16 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Hi Linton & Flyod,
Thanks Linton, we thought we'd take the trip across on the water in SA to avoid heading back up to Port Augusta and then all going well we'll make the trip across to Tassie. This is subject finances etc etc.

Floyd,
Thanks for you kind thoughts.
Our great country nearly covers the same amount of square miles as your country. So you can imagine the ride around being some what exciting eh.
I've checked on your profile. Gee's you only get 11 years for murder over here and you've been married three times to the same girl for twenty nine years!
A GREAT achievement. The "Speed Limiter" and I have achieved 40 years this May, but wouldn't swap for the world!

Regards to you,
Bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in