LT Gearbox - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

LT Gearbox

Just a hint for all. My LT did the clutch about 18months/15k ago, as the front gearbox seal had allowed oil onto the clutch plate causing it to slip in 5th. This has just reoccurred, with the same seal failing - killing the clutch. As I have just found out, the reason the seal fails is the front bearing of the gearbox has packed up. There were no noises, or problems changing gears, until about 5klms from Worthingtons, where it wouldn't come out of 4th. If this was known about the first time it wouldn't be so bad, but now I am faced with a complete new gearbox and clutch, some $7,750. So the lesson is, if the front seal goes, add a bearing to the shopping list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Garage
Re: LT Gearbox

Gary
hope it gets sorted out for good this time sure don't need repair bills like that at this time of the year, well at any time really. thanks for the info I was expecting to do a clutch but it just keeps hanging in there. some times it lets go when I take off mainly after traveling for a while, but just completed a 2 week trip pulling a camper and it was fine so I don't know.

to all have a merry Xmas and a happy and safe new Year.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 6:16 pm

You would have to check shipping out of country, but here is one on eBay for a LOT less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-BM...Q5fAccessories

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrikin
Just a hint for all. My LT did the clutch about 18months/15k ago, as the front gearbox seal had allowed oil onto the clutch plate causing it to slip in 5th. This has just reoccurred, with the same seal failing - killing the clutch. As I have just found out, the reason the seal fails is the front bearing of the gearbox has packed up. There were no noises, or problems changing gears, until about 5klms from Worthingtons, where it wouldn't come out of 4th. If this was known about the first time it wouldn't be so bad, but now I am faced with a complete new gearbox and clutch, some $7,750. So the lesson is, if the front seal goes, add a bearing to the shopping list.
Wow - I know the dollars don't equate 'tween here and there, butt a 2000 LT sells for dang near that figure around these parts. And some of 'em have pretty low mileage.

Just sayin'!!
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 12:29 am
cws

Garage

Wont find that sort of deal here Dick...
A 2001 with 71,500km on it...... Au$14,990 That's the cheapest on Bikepoint at the moment.

Sorry to hear the problems you've encountered Gary.
Would having the weephole drilled perhaps helped to have avoid this issue?
(I remember I got it done, but for the life of me can't remember exactly what it was to avoid... something about a leak somewhere.....).
Guess I should look it up again.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Finally get the bike back tomorrow and say goodbye to a whole lot of cash. The weep hole is not the answer, that is for the clutch slave cylinder. This was obviously a problem in the bike since I have had it, as this is the second clutch to go in this way. The bike has always been serviced every 10k, and there were no obvious signs in the old oil. I paid $17k for the bike two years ago, and whilst it was a ton of money, there was too much left to throw out the rest of the bike. I must say however, I have been incredibly disappointed in the LT. For such a large some of money, you expect the best, and when it works its great, but so much of it is under engineered, that I very much doubt if I will ever buy another BMW. My old K100 was a gem, and I am really starting to miss it. I could have bought two more however just for what I have spent on clutches and gearbox.

Thanks for your comments,

Regards,

Gary
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 9th, 2009, 5:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrikin
Finally get the bike back tomorrow and say goodbye to a whole lot of cash. The weep hole is not the answer, that is for the clutch slave cylinder. -----------------------------
Gary
The weep hole also works for the REAR transmission input seal, which also fails sometime. Won't help with the front one though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in