Royal Flying Doctor Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Royal Flying Doctor Service

Does anyone in this site know or know anyone who has anything to do with the RFDS? I am currently in the US Army flying the same aircraft that the RFDS does. I was thinking that after I retire, I would love to give the RFDS a go. I am sure there will be a lot of hurdles to overcome to make that dream come true. I will be retiring in about five more years so that gives me time to work out the kinks.

I will get some desert flying experience next year in Iraq and, according to the web site, will have enough flying hours to qualify for the service. Since I know very little about the towns that the service is based out of, I would like to discuss some of those finer points with people that are involved. For instance, I imagine everyone would want to fly out of Bankstown since it's near Sydney but I might be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the WA Cats were robbed in the Final.

CW3PWR
Manassas, VA
USA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1857.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	643.9 KB
ID:	1482  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 3:40 am

This might help

G'day CW3PWR

IIRC, the main base is now Broken Hill out in western New South Wales. The RFDS kicked off in a little place up in far north Queensland called Cloncurry by the Reverend Doctor John Flynn. There is a museum in the 'Curry dedicated to the RFDS and is worth a visit, some of the stories in the museum are a great read and chuckle. I was there around '98 - '99 when working down the road at Mt Isa.

The RFDS is a worthy and notable cause. The amount of area that they cover and the good work that they do is phenomenal.

Stay safe in Iraq mate and try and make it to Aussie.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 4:40 am

Id like to backup what Big Dog said. I want born in Mt Isa, but lived there for 26 years though till moving to townsville.
There is a very good museum in Cloncryy about the RFDS that has many historical things including an original pedal radio and headset, plus many other interesting things.
I dont know if the museum is open or not, but if you do a google search on it as well as Cloncurry you may well find something.
In Mt Isa you can do tours of the RFDS base and they show you the operations of it all. DOnt know if they still do it or not, but they did till i left over a year ago now.

I suggest you send a resume to the RFDS and see what they say.

heres some links you may find interesting

http://www.micrrh.jcu.edu.au/Our-Region/cloncurry.html

http://flyingdoctors.lindev1.creatop...cfm?MenuID=221

if you want a job with rfds, click here
http://flyingdoctors.lindev1.creatop....cfm?MenuID=33

http://www.mtisasde.qld.edu.au/history.html

The Mt Isa School of the air is also pretty cool. I think you will find it is the only school like it in the world.

I have plenty of family/friends out that way, if theres anything you can think of that i can help with, just give me a yell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in