Time for a trike or to trike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 4:37 am Thread Starter

Time for a trike or to trike

G'day all

I've been really quiet (like some of the others ) lately, work has been really busy, which is good, and I haven't had a chance to post lately. Well that changed 2 weeks ago, I ended up in Royal North Shore Spinal Unit in Sydney with a bulging L1 disc which was slowly strangling my spinal cord. I had lost feeling in my legs and couldn't even stand up as there was no strength. It appears that I was operated on just in time as the assessing doctor said I was very lucky. Maybe a couple of days later into hospital and I was looking at living in a wheel chair permanently . As I am typing this, I'm still in the spinal unit waiting for transfer to Wyong Hospital for rehabilitation and a healthy return to work actually walking .

So, it now looks like I need to trike the big girl or failing that getting one already set up whether a GW or something like the Oz Trike / Bon Trike type.

I've been doing some research and I'm considering building the trike rear end myself. Being a boilermaker / welder by trade can come in handy sometimes hey? Looks like I'll be jumping through hoops though with the RTA to try and keep the weight below 450 kgs after the conversion otherwise it will need to be registered as a one off type vehicle. I've been in touch with some RTA approved engineers and getting the required infomration to carry this out.

Reading the ADR's for this coversion, it looks really daunting so I'm considering alternatives. Rock and hard place time. I really like the LT, comfort, ride, looks, all good to me.

What sayeth you?

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Garage
Re: Time for a trike or to trike

good luck with that project glad your ok, I really love those hanagins. a guy in warrnambool has had one done, all up cost 20k and he fitted it himself.. too much for me, you could buy one from the states already triked and import it probably cheaper the hurdle would be ADR complience

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

G'day Linton

Thanks for the good wishes mate, much appreciated. I looked at the Hannigans (what a sweet looking bit of kit hey? ) but SWMBO sort of burred up about the cost to buy and get it over to Oz. So I thought about doing it myself on the cheap as much as possible until I started getting into the ADR's and requirements for NSW regulations. I haven't given up yet but it is starting to feel like a bigger job than anticipated. When I'm allowed to start getting around a bit more, such as driving the car and such like, I might drop in at Panther and Bon Trikes who are down the road from my place and maybe take a couple of units for a spin to see what they're like. One of my Ulysses mates in my local branch has one of the old Oz Trikes so I may have to bend his ear about it.

Ride safe all.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 3:27 am

Garage

Big Dog,
I had 2 new disks in my back in 2004, plastic ones L5 s1 or the bottom ones it was the best thing to happen to me and have been ever since, but I cant rides cruisers hurts too much, I was considering a trike back then, I love my LT but a 2 hour stretch is enough in the saddle then we take a short break,
maybe these guys could give you some help
http://www.eagletrikes.com.au/index2.htm

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 5:10 am

Sorry to hear your news,
I had lamonectomy ( not sure on the spelling )and bone reshaping of L5-S1 about 15 years ago and am still going strong.
Good luck.

John & Karen

2005 K1200LT Charcoal
1985ish Yamaha FJ 1200 (gone )
1971 Honda CB350 (gone)
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 9:45 pm
cws

Garage

Sorry to hear you're going through the pain game big dog!
(Yes, I'm another one of us that has been there, done that... just keep away from bloody Gosford Hospital.. hopeless bastards there.)
I had a disc op about 8-10 or so years ago (not in GH)... fixed it about 95%... eventually got back into surfing, and riding, again. This is why the hydraulic stand is a must-have.

Mess around with the idea of the trike for a while, in the meantime you might find you heal well enough to keep riding on 2 wheels... here's hoping anyway.

Oz trikes are just down the road a bit... as you would know. Maybe have a chat to them to see what they could do to trike it? Although you might wind up with a beetle front and single wheel on the back from their left-over bug-bits... (oops, thats the Spyder..)

Hope you heal quickly mate.

best wishes

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 4:07 am

Hi BIG DOG,
I just hope all goes well for you..
It's been a while since we all caught up at Coff's 'Hogs Breath' with all the LT's..
Hopefully when your health improves (and time permits) we can all get together again soon???
I don't want to name anyone, but I know just the person to organise such a weekend, venue etc. (don't I Chris)..
Cheers Col
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Hey Big Dog,
Perhaps you just need help steadying her at stops. Check this out. Don't know if it's available yet or what.
http://www.gizmag.com/go/4814/pictur...picture/16911/
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Hey BigDog,
All the best wishes for a very speedy recovery mate!!!

Onions

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 4:10 am Thread Starter

G'day all

Apologies for the late response, only just got out of hospital and been busy being a house dad again.

I had a look at Panther Trikes on Saturday just gone with Mrs Dog, they look the bees knees people. But I'm still considering my options.One of my Ulysses mates has given me the name and number of a bloke in Taree who trikes Wings but he may have a go at the LT. See what happens..... I'm not real keen on the Eaglehawk trike set up, doesn't look right in my eyes.

I really don't want to get rid of the LT, but needs must if it does happen.

Thanks again for the good wishes everyone. Every day I'm getting stronger and stronger.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
What am I?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in