HID Upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Garage
HID Upgrade

Hi greetings to all.
Well I read all I could about the HID light upgrade how to do it etc. and finally decided to make the change. with great trepidation I ordered a low beam kit from "hu flung dung" somewhere in china on ebay, well thats the last time I will see that eighty bucks,, I says to myself. Lo and behold 5days later parcel turns up, hooray I says, now just hope it works well it does and I must say dont know why I didnt do this ages ago as all others have said. it is a must do on the LT

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 6:50 am
cws

Garage
Re: HID Upgrade

Nice being able to see down the road, isn't it!
Good job Axle.
Hope you got a nice white colour temp (4300k or so...)
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:19 am

Thats one thing I noticed with the GW, absolutely NO NEED to upgrade the stock lighting. Great low beam throw plus low mounted lights to fill in the gap between bike and where low beam starts, and when you hit the high beams you can see clear to the next town.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 3:37 am Thread Starter

Garage

hi Brian

yep the gold wing is what I hope to get next, always wanted one but my missus hates them and refused to get on the back, thats why I got the LT but she has her own bike now, so hopefully one day I will be able to change over, having said that, I really love my LT.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
Hi greetings to all.
Well I read all I could about the HID light upgrade how to do it etc. and finally decided to make the change. with great trepidation I ordered a low beam kit from "hu flung dung" somewhere in china on ebay, well thats the last time I will see that eighty bucks,, I says to myself. Lo and behold 5days later parcel turns up, hooray I says, now just hope it works well it does and I must say dont know why I didnt do this ages ago as all others have said. it is a must do on the LT
Hi Linton

I am also wanting to try the HID upgrade. Which ebayer did you purchase from and what type did you buy. There are heaps listed on Ebay.

Regards

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 2:43 am Thread Starter

Garage

G'day Graham

I got one from this guy http://cgi.ebay.com.au/hid-conversio...QQcmdZViewItem

it is not m/cycle specific. had to buy a kit of 2 which is ok I now have a spare if something stuffs up the kit was $39.00 yes thats right but he postage was $40. anyway it works I chose the H7 4300 as per the recomendations from other members. I must say it is worth every cent. I tried to get a h3 as well but they wouldnt do it. It was very easy to fit

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Aug 9th, 2008 at 3:45 am.
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
G'day Graham

I got one from this guy http://cgi.ebay.com.au/hid-conversio...QQcmdZViewItem

it is not m/cycle specific. had to buy a kit of 2 which is ok I now have a spare if something stuffs up the kit was $39.00 yes thats right but he postage was $40. anyway it works I chose the H7 4300 as per the recomendations from other members. I must say it is worth every cent. I tried to get a h3 as well but they wouldnt do it. It was very easy to fit
Thanks for the info

I will purchase and install. Hopefully all will be OK

Will post you the outcomes.

Regards

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 1:57 am

Exclamation Re: HID Upgrade

Be very carefull about HID upgrades whilst the benefit is obvious not all kits use quality components.
A post in the last 6 months on a Australian Nissan Silvia forum related a tale of woe of epic proportions,due to cheap components being used the ballast failed the resulting power surge took out all the globes in the car,the ignition switch the ABS computer the Management computer and a host of smaller electrical and electronic components.
Cheap is never cheap when the potential of this sort of issue exists buy only quality not on price .Remember the servo brake system on some BMW models triggers a fault even picking up an increase in resistance of a soon to fail but still working stoplight globe.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 6:51 am
cws

Garage

Hi Steve.
Welcome to the forum on our side of the pond...
looking through your other posts it looks like you could bring a wealth of good info to us less-mechanical types that hang around here!

I hope the Ebay specials don't bring the guys any grief, but do submit to buying the odd thing or three off there myself.. its often a gamble, but has proven good so far for me. (Not for my HID's though... got them through the Fashtek group buy... and they've been great.)

Out of interest, what are you riding?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 11 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 11:14 pm

G'day Everyone,

I orignally brought my HIDs through XeonOz, paid quite a bit but they are Hella and have been very reliables. I have had them on this bike for 4 years without a problem.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Hi Steve et al,
I second Chris' sentiments that your knowledge and experience Steve sounds amazing and you are very welcome here...

I too would caution in the purchase of 'cheap' HIDs... Considering the cost of our machines and that of repairing them should something go wrong, I for one would prefer to spend just that little bit extra and ensure that I get quality, reliability and warranty (if possible)...good theory if you have the coin, not so if you don't I guess... Just my two bob worth...

My HID kit was also Hella and I have likewise not had any issues with it...touch wood of course...

Cheers all,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in