Anyone going to the Big Rock this weekend? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Anyone going to the Big Rock this weekend?

G'day oh quiet ones......(nahhhh yer not all out riding cos it's piddling down with that wet stuff again).

Soooooooooooooooooo any one on the list here going to Ayers Rock this weekend, apart from me that is??

The company (www.Optiver.com.au) is having its Winter "getaway" for the staff. Leave the office here sometime today around 14:30 for the bus to the airport and out of this wet stuff weather thingy on a 17:00 flight to the middle of Oz.

Haven't been to this location before (only been here in Oz for 34 years so have an excuse), but it has been on "a plan" to ride to this location "sometime". This plan probably entailed riding my "new" XS11E wayyy back in '78, which has now been sitting comfortably up in the attic since Beryl came on the scene back in '99.

I'll have to make sure that there's not too much of that red dirt/sand around this big rock in thinking that I'll get Beryl Beemer there one day....perhaps they could sweep up the red dirt/sand for when I go there on Beryl????? hehehhe...(welllllll it'll give em a job to do.....)

Got a camel ride, helo flight and Harley ride lined up for the weekend. Dunno which is going to be the more comfortable between the camel and harley rides...........perhaps the camel will go around corners better.......but how many corners are there in the desert???????....

"DING" (light bulb comes on)...aha - that's why they offer the Harley rides......

(light bulb goes off).

and just so that Murphy never gets left out, went home last night and the "kids" are all waiting for me to get through the door, "hey dad.....there's no hot water"..........

Hot water system went kaput during the day. Mind you this one has lasted for 14 years and cost $750 back in '94. Phoned up the same mob that installed the last one, (they had their sticker on the side of the storage tank...funnily enough the phone number listed was before the additional "9" was added to the prefix cos the numbers were running out)..gave em details of size, internal unit, gas, blah blah....this new one now costs $1,350 to supply and install......almost a 100% increase.

This is why I have to keep working.......boring!

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Re: Anyone going to the Big Rock this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
G'day oh quiet ones......(nahhhh yer not all out riding cos it's piddling down with that wet stuff again).

Soooooooooooooooooo any one on the list here going to Ayers Rock this weekend, apart from me that is??

Hot water system went kaput during the day. Mind you this one has lasted for 14 years and cost $750 back in '94. Phoned up the same mob that installed the last one, (they had their sticker on the side of the storage tank...funnily enough the phone number listed was before the additional "9" was added to the prefix cos the numbers were running out)..gave em details of size, internal unit, gas, blah blah....this new one now costs $1,350 to supply and install......almost a 100% increase.

This is why I have to keep working.......boring!

cheers
Phill

Item 1. Yes we all are quite in the Auzzy forum. Don't know why as there is heaps of LT's in Auz. Most of us probably to go to the main forum as more threads

Item 2. Never been to Ayers Rock but would love to go there sometime. Preferably going on the LT and going from Wollongong to Adelaide, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, Darwin. And on return to Mt Isa, Normanton, Cairns, and follow the coast back to Wollongong. Now that would be great and enjoyable trip. Will do this someday.

Item 3. A water heater normally lasts only 10 Years, so you are lucky with 14 years. Mine was a gas heater and went nearly to the day of 10 years. So I bought one (exact same model) on ebay for 1/4 of the costs. The original owner had only used it for 4 years (changed over to continuous heating).
This was a year ago so I should have another 5 years before replacing.

Have fun on your Trip

Regards

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 8:13 pm
cws

Garage

Hope you had a great weekend Phil.
So, whats the concensus, would it be worth riding out there, or just too damn boring on a bike?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: Anyone going to the Big Rock this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hope you had a great weekend Phil.
So, whats the concensus, would it be worth riding out there, or just too damn boring on a bike?
G'day Chris,

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a weekend. How different from the normal drudge of lawn/edge mowing, pool cleaning, dusting, painting, washing, tree pruning, cleaning, gardening, blah blah (and that's just the wife)...hehehhehehehehehh

The flight was a bit longer than expected, about 3.5 hours...dunno if we were dragging a boat anchor on the way there and back.

Got in about 21:00, then boozed on til about midnight. The later flight of company staff arrived just gone midnight, and probably stayed up til 03:00.

First activity of doing the sunrise walk of about 8kms was at 06:15 Ha...bugger that, I was still snoozing.

Did the camel ride at 09:00, after a full breaky...plod plod plod plod...I took along my white sheet to impersonate Lawrence, but the flaming things wouldn't go any faster that plod plod plod plod cos the cameleir was walking in front and leading em by a nose clip.

Next was the helo ride at 15:15. in between was the lazing and swiming in the heated pool. come back with a bit of a sunburn as around the 25 deg c during the day, and frigging freezing during the night. The helo pilot was a bit of a wealth of info. The Rocks goes down 10-12 kms...and the surrounding lands are actually sediment built up over the years...that's a lotta sediment to dig away to get the bottom of the Rock. Helo flight $250 each.

Sat night was the "Sounds of silence" dinner, in the desert. I made sure I got a seat close to one the gas heaters. Late in the night, turned all lights/heaters off and a run down of all the "holes in the blanket" that is thrown over the "earth jar". All "free" drink and food provided, but normally costing $153/head

Sunday was a Harley ride. Never been on a harley before in over 40 years of riding. I thought Bob was gonna stall the thing the revs were that low, and chug chug chug away it went. If yer thinking of going out this way on a bike take a photo with you of a corner and stick it on the "glove box" lid....sooooooo you wont forget what it looks like...hehheheh

About 3 days is probably the correct time to be out here, as sod else to do. Alice is about 420kms away....down thata road.....

Great trip I must admit and all paid for by the company.....Have attached a number of pix for your viewing pleasure...hehhehehehe

brilliant......and now back to work (aggghhhhh <shoulder slump>)

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers Rock helo pix1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	18861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers Rock helo pix3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	18862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers Rock helo pix4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	18863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers Rock helo pix6.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	18864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phill on harley pix1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	18865  

Name:	Camel power pix2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	18866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sails in the desert pix1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	18867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sails in the desert pix4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	18868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sails in the desert pix6.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	18869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound of Silence pix1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	18870  

Phill
1970 Honda 750cc four K1

Ulysses 18430
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 5:32 am

Talking Re: Anyone going to the Big Rock this weekend?

G'day Phill,

Hope you enjoyed your quick look at a tiny bit of the rest of Australia outside Sydney.
Nice pix though. I hope you arrived back at work fully refreshed. See if you can get me a job with that company, mine has no benefits at all.

Cheers.

Shane,
Bright,
Australia

2001 K1200LT Metallic Mauve - Merlot. (Deceased)
2003 Ducati 999 Testastretta, Red (of course) - Demos.
2005 Cagiva Xtra Raptor 1000, Bat Black - Rex.
2006 Cagiva Raptor 650, Red - Gina (sold)
Bike Trailer for Merlot - Cabernet.
2007 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2012 Yamaha Tenere XT660Z
2015 Yamaha MT09
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Cool More pix of the big rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalei
G'day Phill,

Hope you enjoyed your quick look at a tiny bit of the rest of Australia outside Sydney.
Nice pix though. I hope you arrived back at work fully refreshed. See if you can get me a job with that company, mine has no benefits at all.

Cheers.
Heyyyyy you social butterfly you......this is another post by you ..THIS YEAR!!

You wouldn't like a job with this company Shane....coming in to Sydney every day, having people try an kill you every day on the way....people trying to walk over the top of you on the pavement, or push you into the path of more people trying to kill you...nahhhhhhhhhh tis not the life for you crazy sun worshippers up in the realms of sunny Queensland.

BUT, just to pacify you a little more on the good bits of wiorking for Optiver, here's some more pix of that big red, ......errr grey, .......errrrr mottley, .......errrrrr you know that rock thingy stuck out in the middle of the desert by some forward thinking settler who could see the future in getting people to come an try and climb the thing.

It is apparently a really good heart stress test exercise in trying to climb it. The indiginous people request that no one climbs it, but it is not illegal to climb it. There are numerous little brass plaques at the foot of the rock, "in memory" of those that clocked off the planet trying. Occasionally the park rangers have to go up and bring down the grey nomads or others that have managed part of it then find that the old pins don't work anymore.
The Sounds of Silence evening meal in the desert shows numerous sky scapes,...with the ultimate being pitch black when they turn the heaters off, (which cos it is the desert and probably around the 0 deg C mark is flaming freezing).

anyway enjoy, ....and who knows when we are both retired and cruising around the countryside in the Winebago, or 5th wheeler, we can meet up here at the resort for a swim and chat......maybe not the climb though <puff puff>

cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ayers Rock pix 1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	18889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers Rock pix 2.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	18890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers Rock pix 3.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	18891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers Rock pix 4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	18892   Click image for larger version

Name:	eyelashes to die for.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	18893  

Name:	sails in the desert 1.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	18894   Click image for larger version

Name:	sails in the desert 2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	18895   Click image for larger version

Name:	sounds of silence sky.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	18896   Click image for larger version

Name:	sounds of silence sky2.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	18897   Click image for larger version

Name:	sounds of silence sky3.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	18898  

Phill
1970 Honda 750cc four K1

Ulysses 18430
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
Did the camel ride at 09:00, after a full breaky...plod plod plod plod...I took along my white sheet to impersonate Lawrence, but the flaming things wouldn't go any faster that plod plod plod plod cos the cameleir was walking in front and leading em by a nose clip.
Nice pictures, I liked the fact on the Harley, no safety gear, but on the camel, you are wearing helmets, I guess the camels are faster in both straight lines and cornering, so it does make sense.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 3:22 pm

Very nice photos, thanks. I love the desert and that looks like a place I'd like to visit sometime. I bet the stars were incredible when all the lights went out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in