Service & Tune-Up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Service & Tune-Up

Hi

I have had my LT for approx 6 months and have done 12,000 Klm (since purchase). Believe that I should do the maintenance thing and service her. The service (change oils,etc) should be OK, but how do we do a Tune-Up?.

Is there any specific's on doing a Tune-Up

Regards

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 6:19 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Service & Tune-Up

Every 24000 miles/Km replace spark plugs and read the code from the computer (If any are there to read) change air and oil filter. Brake and clutch fluid change every 48000 or 4 years also change antifreeze at 48000 or 4 years. Every thing else is as needed.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Garage

Graham
you have done 12000km what is on the speedo?? major service is due every 20,000km includes plugs, air, fuel, filters and oils, every 40.000km valve clearence check, replace brake fluids, etc, minor service is just engine oil I do the filter as well since I am in there.
To answer your question it is all electronic, you cant tune it up as such, just carry out the maintence required at the appropriate times. If it is running rough then you need to do alternative checking to find out why.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Garage

Graham
use the search feature look for tupperware removal, or fairing, there are some good posts to tell you how to strip the bike down, it is not hard, but there are different length bolts and its a good idea to know which is which. mine has been done so many times they are all mixed up, but nothings fallen off yet The fuel filter is located inside the tank the air filter is underneath the tank good luck I have not replaced my fuel QD's cant find any sales outlets, may have to buy from the states so be careful with them, and no, fuel cant come out when you unplug them.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 7:48 am
cws

Garage

Hey Graham,
I downloaded a K1200LT repair manual from a link someone posted recently (can't remember where), its says its 1999, but should be reasonably common.. its a big pdf, let me know if you'd like it emailed or put somewhere for you to grab.. might be of help to you...
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
Graham
you have done 12000km what is on the speedo?? major service is due every 20,000km includes plugs, air, fuel, filters and oils, every 40.000km valve clearence check, replace brake fluids, etc, minor service is just engine oil I do the filter as well since I am in there.
To answer your question it is all electronic, you cant tune it up as such, just carry out the maintence required at the appropriate times. If it is running rough then you need to do alternative checking to find out why.
Linton

My LT is a 2003 and total Klm is 73,000. I purchased when 61,000. I have all History and last service was done on 27-04-07 speedo was 55,857. The bike is going great. But when looking at Manual it states that services should be done every 10,000.

If I am going to remove tupperware to do the service then I was going to do a tune-up at same time.

Regards

Graham W

Ulysses #26833
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hey Graham,
I downloaded a K1200LT repair manual from a link someone posted recently (can't remember where), its says its 1999, but should be reasonably common.. its a big pdf, let me know if you'd like it emailed or put somewhere for you to grab.. might be of help to you...
Chris
Chris

Would love the pdf file. You can email it to me. I think you already have my email address if not I will PM you.

Regards

Graham W

Ulysses #26833
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Garage

Graham
serviced at 55k sugests it may have missed the 60k biggy which is a full service probly why it was traded at that mileage to save mega bucks!!
I got sick of BMW serviceing, I do it all myself. my last quoted service was a 60k at $1600.00 from southbank in melbourne which is 5hrs ride each way + o/night accom and food fuel, would think around $2k by the time I got her home stuff that!! my mate had a full service and throttle cables replaced in his prior to agm He didnt tell me how much, and guess what,, his diff bearings shat themselves 1 hour out of townsville. no mention of any problem from BMW service so I figure my cost at about $140 parts + oil is as good. and what I save I spend on the beast. While its apart is a good time to familiarise yourself with all the workings run extra cables and such.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
Graham
serviced at 55k sugests it may have missed the 60k biggy which is a full service probly why it was traded at that mileage to save mega bucks!!

A+ on that!!. That is why I want to do the service myself. Save heaps of dollars. Had a RT before and did one major service (cost of $1,600) at BMW. Sheeet I nearly flipped. After that never again.

Will do the service (oil & Filters) and probably check spark plugs.

Regards

Graham W

Ulysses #26833

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in