RT nut - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 28th, 2008, 6:59 am Thread Starter

RT nut

Hi guys,
New to the forum but have been reading and learning a great deal for the last month or so. Is there any others out there concerned about the hype regarding the EWS woes? Have we heard of many cases? It would be a shame to see such a problem ruin the experience of riding an RT...best BMW I have ever owned (converted in 1986 and going strong ever since on beemers)
Thanks for the great read on this forum.

Greg
Ulysses Member 6056
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 28th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Garage
Re: RT nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGM
Hi guys,
Is there any others out there concerned about the hype regarding the EWS woes? Have we heard of many cases? It would be a shame to see such a problem ruin the experience of riding an RT
Thanks for the great read on this forum.

perhaps you could elaborate I for one am not familiar about EWS I even googled it mind you I ride an LT

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 4 Old May 28th, 2008, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

There is a lot of chat in the RT Bikes forum on this site about ignition keys not starting bikes because the aerial is failing to register the codes and the bikes cannot be started. Apparently these ignition systems are not only on RT's but on most BMW models. It leaves people really stranded and the fix is replacement parts which have also had problems......or maybe this is a rare happening. It is just when you see so many responses within these pages it sparks alarm bells.

Greg
Ulysses Member 6056

post #4 of 4 Old May 29th, 2008, 10:32 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Greg. (& welcome!)
Yeah, was reading those posts last night. Not a happy camper at all.
Seems its all about some electronic way of ensuring the key you use is actually code-matched to the bike, and what can go wrong "if" it fails.
There have been other issues (only known from reading posts) about the problems caused by wires or cables being pulled or clamped too tightly when the bikes (any model) are built or cobbled together by the dealers.
I dont know any RT owners, but I have test-ridden an RT (wasn't bad either... just not an LT...)

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in