Rear brake rotor - new Service Bulletin & fix - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 18th, 2008, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Rear brake rotor - new Service Bulletin & fix

Thought it worth repeating here since I missed the main thread under K1200LT....
(http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35541)

Seems BMW have listed a new rotor as a replacement to fix some of the "harmonics" ( I call it squeal/noise/clanging) of our trusty brake rotors.
I'm still under extended warranty and complained about my rotor at 40,000km service last week. It's already been replaced once, and is still rattly. Worthington's agreed to replace it under warranty (on order from BMW Germany - 3 week delivery time), so having just read about this bulletin I'm asking if they've ordered the new-style rotor for me.

New one is a 5-point bolting system, rather than 10-point
(see pics HERE ).

Worth calling your dealer if you are under warranty and have the cow-bell syndrome.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 18th, 2008, 9:33 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Re: Rear brake rotor - new Service Bulletin & fix

I've just had it confirmed I'm getting the new 5-point rotor.... here's hoping its quieter...

"the new rotor is a five point rotor with part number 34 21 7 711 093" from Worthington BMW

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; May 19th, 2008 at 2:21 am. Reason: added info
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 9:08 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Had the new 5-point rotor installed last week, breaking has been quiet as a mouse since... hope it stays that way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5_point_rotor.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	18549  

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 2:45 am

dude it may fix the squeal but it will rattle faster than the other one with less mounting points. the old one only efectivly had 7 points not 10 it had 10 rivet but only 7 were able to touch the carrier, which automaticaly made it asymetrical and forced it to wear out and rattle, crappy little things like this defy logic, especially from BMW who get so much right. then stuff up in a thing as simple as a disc rotor

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 2:50 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage

heh, heh... sincerely hope you're wrong on this one Dave...
There's very little play in it at the moment, far less than the original 2 ever had.
I've got a couple of months left on warranty (till September) so we'll see what happens!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 7:09 am

yeah replaced mine after last AGM in coffs. funny! damn thing never made a noise untill I had the bevel rebuild two days befor leaving for coffs, the removal and clean seem to just set it off rattling like a mad thing! but didnt notice it untill riding around the back of the oval at coffs. that was about the last straw: as just about every thing that could go wrong with the bloody thing had. now due to the fantastic resale value of these machines I have to keep it and just keeep coughing up! next time I am going japaneese! no crap I am outa here when I can afford to change.
Cant afford to at the mo as my wife and I have just opened the "Coldrock icecreamery" in Ballarat in march 5th this year. it is going great even in cold ballarat!

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had my rear rotor replaced during the 6K service visit and it is now quiet as it should be. It used to squeal like a stuck pig from about 15 MPH down to a full stop. It was very annoying when riding in town. I hope the quiet lasts, but after about 120 miles, so far, so good!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 8:07 am

I have a question that maybe somebody who has recently changed the disc can answer.

A fellow 2004 LT owner is sick and tired of hearing the rear disc continually tinkling and wants to change it for the "new" type, product number same as shown above.

He is prepared to pay the asking price but his dealer cannot guarantee that the one they receive will be the 10 point or 5 point one.

Can someone confirm that ALL the new discs sold are only the 5 point ones or will BMW send the dealer the one nearest at hand ?.
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:19 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Hi Simon.
I'd be surprised if they foisted a 10-point off on your friend, especially after this was a service-bulletin fix... from Randy's post in the other thread
"Have your dealer look for the bulletin issued in March this year - 34 003 08 (013). If your rear rotor has 10 attachment points to the rear hub it is the old version - used on all bikes until mfg date Sept, 2007.
The new rotor, 34 21 7 711 093 has 5 attachment points. This design was the latest effort to abate the harmonics that can be generated in the rear rotor. The bulletin calls for the dealer to replace this item "in the event of a verified customer complaint".

I think he should push the point about the bulletin, and demand the 5 point.

My "new" 5-point has done over 20,000km now, its been "repaired" once after the rear OEM pads wore away very quickly... but its still good and quiet as the proverbial church-mouse.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 1:19 am

Yes, that´s what I think as well.

He is going to order it and see what happens although his dealer is telling him that it will be a 10 point one !.

Will let you know the outcome.

I had mine changed about 2/3 years ago and am also pleased the result.

Simon
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:43 am

Cool Re: Rear brake rotor - new Service Bulletin & fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Yes, that´s what I think as well.

He is going to order it and see what happens although his dealer is telling him that it will be a 10 point one !.

Will let you know the outcome.

I had mine changed about 2/3 years ago and am also pleased the result.

Simon
Hi Simon,
This was probably one of Beryl's first trips to the dealer with the sssqqquuuueeeeaaalllyy rear brake...agggghhhhhhh painful to say the least. BMW replaced it to a 10 point (can't say I noticed what it was originally)...but this is back in '99-2000. Haven't had any repeat episodes in the last 10 years or so though, but there again I very rarely use the rear brake cos it is so ineffectual (non linked).....

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
My "new" 5-point has done over 20,000km now, its been "repaired" once after the rear OEM pads wore away very quickly... but its still good and quiet as the proverbial church-mouse.
Are you getting better mileage out of your rear pads now? I went to the 5-point rotor almost 40k miles ago, and have been getting about 3-4k miles per set of pads ever since (and have replaced the rotor once again). The dealer won't do anything because BMW won't acknowledge they have a problem and claims it must be a change in my "riding style" that dropped me from 18k on a set of pads to 3k (yea right -- I must have developed a habit of applying brake and throttle simultaneously or something!!)

Love the bike, wish it was backed by a company I could love.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

post #13 of 13 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Changed my riding style, Alan, so that I'm not using the rear brake sports-bike style. I pretty much use all front-brake now, and only very lightly use the foot brake in
a) emergency stops, or
b) spirited riding in twisties by myself (and don't get to do that too much)
Changed out to new pads at the recent 60,000km service... not sure what I got out of the last set, but at least this time I didn't score the rotor again...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in