Petition against the return of the front number plate. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:20 am Thread Starter

Petition against the return of the front number plate.

If you don't want the return of the front number plate sign the petition and e-mail it to all you mates.

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitio...rcyclists.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 2:04 am

Re: Petition against the return of the front number plate.

Signed already.

John & Karen

2005 K1200LT Charcoal
1985ish Yamaha FJ 1200 (gone )
1971 Honda CB350 (gone)
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 7:52 am

Just an FYI: In the US, an electronic complied petition is a waste of time. Send a separate email to as many government officials involved with the issue or separate paper letters. Unfortunately in the US, because of the anthrax scare, most high-up government leaders do not open their mail nor do they get the paper. Washington does not get the paper letter. It goes to WV. It is opened up away from their office and they rarely see it. They do get a count on issues. Email is read by staffer and complied too. A personal visit or phone call is more effective if you are really serious.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 8:39 am

Thanks for that info & i have passed it onto my other riding mates.

Also to let you know that there is a protest ride here in Melbourne on July 5th 2008. Against Tolls, TAC Tax, Front number plate & more.

Below is a copy of the E-mail that has been sent around.

Dear Victorian Motorcycle Clubs,
Please make your members aware of this invitation to join our protest against the way the motorcycle community has been treated by our government.

This is not just about road tolls in the city. It's against wire rope barriers, the TAC tax, compulsory front ID for bikes and more.

Your members who can't make it to the protest ride can help by filling in the petition, seeing their Member of Parliament and/or writing to, or visiting, the media in your area. You never know they may have riders on their staff who will sign the petition and go on the ride.

Your club is welcome to attend the July 5 ride as a club and raise motorcycling issues most important to your members. Kids in their bike gear and club banners welcome. If this is a big, colourful, well-managed event we get media. If we get media we get bargaining power.

Damien.

To: MLA NP - KEN JASPER - MURRAY VALLEY ; MLA NP - JEANETTE POWELL - SHEPPARTON
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 5:03 PM
Subject: MEDIA RELEASE 2 - PROTEST RUN - JULY 5, 2008.

This is not spam. It's about a motorcycle & scooter, sidecar & trike ride to protest against road tolls, compulsory front ID, the TAC antibike tax, use of bus lanes & similar and other issues.

Not interested? Delete now. If you want off my email list please say so. This a big list and keedping it updated is important. It is not in my interests to send people information they do not want.

If you think this information is important, please pass it on.

PROTEST RIDE - TOLLS, TAC TAX & FRONT ID & MORE.

There will be a protest ride on Saturday, July 5, 2008. The primary argument will be against road tolls for motorcycles but we'll be collecting signatures on the petition to abolish the unjust $56 a year TAC tax too. Front ID for motorcycles & scooters is definitely a big issue on this protest run.

If we get the numbers we plan to have stands at the bike expo and the OZ GP to collect more signatures against the TAC tax. The petition will be given to an MP to present to Parliament probably on November 12, 2008.

The assembly area will be the Doncaster Park & Ride from 10 am on July 5 - Melway reference Map 46 K1. It's virtually empty on a Saturday. It's left out the gate. A few metres and left onto the Eastern Freeway which becomes the Eastlink toll road. Very safe. Traffic was light when these pictures were taken. Eastlink opens Sunday, June 29. There's a month-long, toll-free period.

Please send an email giving your thoughts on road tolls for motorcycles and scooters to the paper at [email protected] .

At noon riders will proceed to Frankston at 10 kph under the speed limit. Probably 90 kph most of the trip. The distance will be around 60 kms. The destination is the Fankston Civic Centre in Davey Street. - Melway reference map100A C9. There will be no road tolls and no entry fees or registration. A voluntary bucket collection will help defray costs.

All road registered trikes, sidecars, motorcycles & scooters are welcome. On the ride, normal road laws apply and each rider is responsible for him/her self.

We will be inviting City Councillors and MPs from along the route to be at the start or the finish or to ride with us. The media too. We'll have responsible pilots to take passengers. Let me know if you can take a passenger.

If we get the numbers, the November protest against tolls, front number plates, the $56 TAC tax and other issues goes ahead, if not, it doesn't.

Hopefully some riders will be tempted to come a fair distance for a chance to ride the new super road before the tolls start. Others may be inspired by the recent successful protests by taxi drivers and pensioners and lobbying by nurses and teachers, but I doubt we'll see any topless riders this time of year. Others still may attend because they are angry that our representatives on VMAC have not stood up for the motorcycle community's interests.

In the current issue of Australian Motorcycle News (AMCN), MRA President John Karmouche said the MRA in Melbourne wasn't planning a protest. Read the Editorial and "TOLLING FIRST FOR VICTORIAN RIDERS" on page 10. This is not an MRA ride.

Please use this media release as you see fit. Pass it on to egroups, websites, newsletter editors and so on.

Damien Codognotto OAM
Independant Lobbyist.
Melbourne.

Please forward this on to any Victorian riders that you know, more the better.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 8:47 pm
cws

Garage

Nice one Dave. Good luck with the ride! Will be watching out for it on the news.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 9 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy
If you don't want the return of the front number plate sign the petition and e-mail it to all you mates.

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitio...rcyclists.html
Cannot understand why they (Government) what the return of the front number plate??. I have been riding since I was 13 and am now 60, and I remember that we used to have the front number plate before. If I remember correctly, the elimination of the plate was due to Safety (please correct me if I am wrong!). Some front plates were in parallel with the Wheel and if hit a pedestrian could due severe injury due to the sharp edges of the plate.

If this is correct then for safety why the hell do they want it again (unless it is that the Speed Cameras sometimes are viewed by the front and not the rear). That means that they (government) don't care about safety but only about the loss of revenue.

Comments appreciated.

Regards

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 7:47 pm

Garage

Graham

I think it is definately revenue raising, there will be in the future, more bikes on the road that forward facing speed camera's canot hit. I noticed on my last trip to melbourne they are starting to mount camera's to detect from the rear, (toll gates photgraph the front to record the license)so if the government dont get this passed then motorcyclist's will have to pay tolls etc just like everybody else. so I guess the free ride so to speak will be over. mate it is always about the almighty dollar notice we are still paying the $50 levy on our registration for the safety program for us riders, I still cant work out where it is going accept for them bloody wire rope barriers that keep popping up. I sincerly hope that I am never involved in bike crash with them around but that's another story.
cheers

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 1:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
we are still paying the $50 levy on our registration for the safety program for us riders, cheers
Axle

Don't know about Victoria, But!! another levy has been placed on NSW commencing 1st July. The levy is on the greenslip and is for:

- Medicare & Injury Service
- Levy Fund Ambulance, Hostipital, Etc.
- People Injured in Motor Vehicle Accidents.

I thought that all of the above should have been included the Greenslip (insurance), but again, additional levies. shit when is it going to stop!!.

Cost of the above levies are now a massive, $166.17. The Greenslip now costs a staggering approx $512, then plus the rego payement.

Also have been informed the Motorcycles in the future (don't know when), that the rego costs will go up as the tax will be done on weight of bike. Gees the LT's & GW's cost will go up drastically!!.

Regards

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 3:04 am

Not just tolls...but speed cameras too...

Given that most of the toll ways (in Victoria anyway) are privately owned, could an incentive for the governments be that of speed camera revenue that they are currently missing out upon...?

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in