Fellow Old Farts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Fellow Old Farts

rf253, CWS & others,
I too am now a old fart member having only joined after turning 50.
Was told by a few members back in 1987 I could join when I was 40 and be a junior member. I said nah "I will wait till I am 50" and I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 2:42 am

Re: Fellow Old Farts

Hey Bundy welcome then mate but gee you missed 10 years of frivolous disgraceful behaviour already and last year AGM was biggest ever hosted to date and unlikely to be topped until maybe 2010 in Albany.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 5:43 am

Garage

welcome bundy, you got a lot of catching up to do for all the years missed not being a member of a great club. safe riding and stay upright

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Good on ya Bundy, welcome aboard with the Ulysses. The motto is one thing that I try to live up to

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy
rf253, CWS & others,
I too am now a old fart member having only joined after turning 50.
Was told by a few members back in 1987 I could join when I was 40 and be a junior member. I said nah "I will wait till I am 50" and I did.
I was only a jr member for a year... took full advantage of it and asked a lot of questions... wo'nt say how old I was or is...

welcome one and all

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 3:49 am

Gee how about that under my avatar it says I am a junior member just like bundi but I am 50 but as the saying goes you are only as old as the woman you are f.....g
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 5:17 am

Garage

ah,, Bundy is talking about Ulysses membership and I hope the missing word is "feeling", or even fooling

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 7:39 am

Congrats Bundy and welcome to the club.
But I have to tell you, your only a senior member yet (I became a senior last year) and not officially an 'Old Fart' untill you turn 70 - or so I was told by my group.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 8:47 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf253
Gee how about that under my avatar it says I am a junior member just like bundi but I am 50 but as the saying goes you are only as old as the woman you are f.....g
100 posts will get your avatar status changed, nowhere near what we've got to go through to be "Senior" in Ulysees.... thats called "life"

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 4:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yes only as old as the woman your feeling or in my case last felt!

Just been for ride with the Rainforet riders (Cairns Branch) today and what a fun bunch of people. The ride is so laid back, go as fast or slow as you like, make as many or few detours as you wish ... it's great. I am told not all branch rides are this casual, in must be the "Gone Tropo" syndrome.
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Gee Bundy, I bet it must be tough riding the Gillies and other ranges up that way too, and no doubt you are going to see an increase of bike traffic up that way in May to with the Townsville 2008 AGM.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 3:49 am Thread Starter

rf253 and Fellow Old Farts,
I Love riding the Gillies range it is great and is the pick for a quick day ride out of Cairns.

The Kuranda range is also good but has too much traffic and a 60kph speed limit so is now at the bottom of the list and avoided at all costs.

The Rex Range (1 hour north of Cairns) is good but caution must be exercised if it is damp and as it is surrounded by rain forest that's often.

The Palmaston Range (1 hour south of Cairns) is bloody fabulous on the K1200GT when the traffic is not abundant, I am yet to see a cop on this range but the thought scares me on this one as you can hit "Tear up your licence and loose bike for 48 hours" speeds they are very achievable.

For those riding further north after AGM I would sugjest up the Palmaston over to the Kuranda and bingo your in Cairns.

Whilst you are in Cairns up the Gillies to Malanda, Milla Milla over the Gentle Annie to Ravenshoe, Atherton Yungaburra and back down the Gillies (Can be as long or as short as you want have a look at map lots of back roads available). In fact there is a host of good day rides to be done if you want to base yourself in Cairns for a little while.

Leaving Cairns head the wrong way and go north to Rex Range (after port Douglas, before Mossman) to Julatten, Mt Molloy, Mareeba, Atherton, Ravenshoe, Milla Milla, down Palmerston Range (HWY) to Innisfail.

In fact having just promoted my fair city as I have, I will go one further and offer any Fellow Old Farts a place to pitch there tent (walking distance to CBD) for a few days if you wish send me you e-mail in private message.
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 7:08 am
cws

Garage

A kind and generous offer Bundy! I won't be coming up that way this year, but would love to ride up around that way sometime. Did it for a week in a camper/ute a few years ago and got up in the hills and as far as Port Douglas. Will definately do it on the bike someday.... not too distant future I hope!
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 15 Old May 14th, 2008, 6:26 am

With a couple of years to go till the Albany AGM why don't we start organising a BMW lt get together dinner and see if we can get more bikes than we did at Coffs. If some of you are interested then perhaps some of us in the west could look at some venues. With a bit of planning we could make it an aside to the main AGM.

Let's get an LT party happening
post #15 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 3:19 am

Hi All,
I too, would be very interested in some sort of get LT together sooner rather than later..
Just to digress a little, If any of you southerners are heading north to the AGM in Townsville this year and would like a stop-over in Lismore on the way, we have quite a large backyard and a couple of spare bedrooms..

Col
Phone 02 6622 2964
0418 578 048

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in