Beryl Beemer goes through 3rd rear drive bearing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Cool Beryl Beemer goes through 3rd rear drive bearing

G'day,
"Not happy Jan".............................mutter mutter........

Had an extra day off at the beginning of Easter to make 5 days off straight woohoooooo tennis day Thursday....just nip down to the garage at 07:50 to get Beryl Beemer out ready to zipppp off to the courts......

huh??? what's all this black oil stuff under the rear wheel....could it be something like the Beverly Hillbillies and I can now give up work ....forever...........hmmm it's not coming up outta the ground,.... it is actually leaking from above and dropping on the ground............

AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH

F$#@............F$#@ or words of similar short, directive, attention seeking syllables

I thought I detected over the last couple of days a "binding" sorta feeling from the rear drive....
One evening after the 17kms ride home from work I even used a thermocouple temp meter to see if the drive was "hot"....

The feeling one gets when you have a tight spot in the chain on a chain drive bike...remember them feelings??? then it would go away...

Beryl has now "chewed" her way through 3 rear drive bearings. The first 2 were repaired under warranty being around 23000kms and 33000kms, (even though outside of the 12 months warranty BMW stipulated here in Aus when the LT first hit the shores in 99) and now this one at 164000kms.

Soooooooooo Beryl being the well trained machine she is, did sorta wait until she was parked in her home before finally giving me the sign. The rear wheel was covered in oil, plus rear brake, but the rear brake is that ineffective I probably would not have noticed the difference.....and the crawl car park congo line coming home probably helped in that one just can't get up any steam......

It coulda been worse....and I did get a couple of days notice....soooo off to the doctors tomorrow morning for Beryl Beemer....hahhahhahah the guy at the dealer asked how I knew it could be a rear drive bearing..hahahahhahah these young whippersnappers........hahhahahahhahaha

Will also get the pinion seal replaced....they didn't do that after the first two an it wasn't that long after the first one that the seal dripped into the prop shaft tunnel. the first failure was the catual bearing cage failed and ball bearings dropped out = real wobbly rear wheel, in peak hour traffic at 18:00hrs winter darkness, the 2nd fail was the bearing was installed "too tight". Pinion seal was about $A8.
I'll let you know the failure reason this time.....I must be getting pretty good at this diagnosis by now???

such is life.

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Re: Beryl Beemer goes through 3rd rear drive bearing

Geezzzz Phil,
you are having a baaaad run mate! I reckon it must have something to do with your relationship with Beryl...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 3:49 am

Phil 164 thousand is ok I wish mine had done that. But your right; it is not enough especially in view of the priors.

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 7:03 am
cws

Garage

Mate, when you ride a girl hard and she gets a bit old she's bound to lose a few teeth, get a little saggy round the rear end.... you know the story.

Sorry to hear ya have more troubles Phil..... be kind to Beryl, she's got another couple hundred thou' left yet, hasn't she?!!!

really, I just think you're trying to win the poll.... that makes 2 of you at 3 times now, doesn't it?
good luck with the repairs

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 7 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 3:00 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: Beryl Beemer goes through 3rd rear drive bearing

evening all,

I dunno what they do at Procycles, but whatever it is, is great. Beryl feels like a new bike....sorta that same feeling when you change from a set of clapped out tyres to new tyres...strange stuff......maybe it has something to do with the suzuki 550 loaner bike they give you...
Beryl is now just soooooooooooooooo smooth...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
The bill came to $1109.22 ...hmmmmm mutter mutter..
made up of

1 x 33121242210 bearing (Anthony listed it as a roller bearing but the old one is a ball bearing, so hoping they put back in place a ball bearing..................$A154.46

1 x Motul G300 75/90w gear oil..................$A17.45
1 x 33127663482 seal................................$A50.05
1 x 33111241257 O ring.............................$A11.71
1 x 33117665838 seal (pinion seal).............$A22.74
1 x 33117701691 ring................................$A25.47
2 x 33172311091 needle bearings...............$A226.50

Labour (5 hours).........................................$A5 00
sub total............................................. ........$A1,008.38
GST............................................... .............$A100.84

Total............................................. ..............$A1,109.22

The main ball bearing was absolutely cactus...the cage had disintegrated (again) with ball bearings missing... the two needle bearings were assessed when the rear drive was pulled down and deemed necessary to change ...

But how smooth does it feel now.......again..just like a new bike....I musta just got used to the crap feeling over time...thinking it was the suspension needing redoing (again)...

Kept all the parts and once I get hold of a digital camera will post the really sad looking bearing for those yet to take the plunge..

remember it's not a case of "if" but a case of "when"...but at least with the costs itemised above it will give a good indication of what you will be up for.

Procycles were terrific in their repairs of this...phoned em up on the Tuesday afternoon, bring it in on Wednesday morning, got it back Thursday all buttoned up and road tested.

Another great, or good investment is the "BMW roadside assist", which I have kept current since '99. The transport of Beryl from home to Procycles by "MotoMotion" (great covered vehicle, great telescopic air ram ramp, great operator "Ricardo" who races an R1)...was probably equal to about 2 years BMW roadside assist membership cost...

All in all Procycles were 100% brilliant. Did check with Motohansa as per comparitive costs and both about the same. BMW roadside assist would probably baulk at suggestion of taking Beryl to Motohansa (not BMW dealer), so be aware.

Photos to be taken next..

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:58 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Unhappy Re: Beryl Beemer goes through 3rd rear drive bearing

Better luck this time Phill, otherwise it might be a record
What are you doing to Beryl, Sydney traffic isn't that bad !
Cheers from this side of the globe.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 8:10 am

That's a bit of a bugger Phill, sorry to about hear this. When I see the repair bills and the charges for labour, makes me realise that working on the bike myself is a good option. If she's off the road for a week, well so be it...

Take care all.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in