Holiday dates & Places if you want to say G'day - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:03 am Thread Starter

Holiday dates & Places if you want to say G'day

G’Day to all.

Cathy & I are heading down to Melbourne taking off on Sunday the 18th. I have only booked the first nights accommodation as from there on we are just making it up as we go. I do have an idea where I want to get to each night but if we make good time we may end up further up the road, or if we see something we want to check out a little more we might end up a bit short. If you are anywhere along the trail on the days we are passing through it would be great to say Hi and perhaps you may want to tag along for some of the way.

Day one Sunday 18th Dec:
We are heading inland from the Sunshine Coast Queensland where we live going to Kilcoy past summerset dam through Esk up to Hampton across to Toowoomba down to Warwick then out past Stanthorpe where we will stay near the Bald rock national park.

Day two Monday 19th Dec:
Continue down the New England highway Tenterfield, Glen Innes, Armidale. Tamworth then on to somewhere around Scone or Aberdeen for the night.

Day Three Tuesday 20th Dec:
Head down to Singleton where we will hook up to the Putty Road, around 160lkm of winding road between two national parks. This is where some of you around Sydney may want to join us for a ride. We’ll come into Windsor then pick up route number 9 past Penrith down toward Campbelltown where I am thinking of jumping on to the Hume for a little way before heading to Moss Vale, Fitzroy falls, through the Kangaroo Valley down to Bomaderry, Nowra then follow the Princes Hwy down to Somewhere around Batemans Bay for the night. You guys in the Sydney area can tell me if there are better roads I should be going on.

Day Four Wednesday 21st Dec
Go down the Princes Hwy to just before Bega. Take the Snowy Mountains Hwy and head out toward Cooma Turn left down the Monaro Hyw down to Cann River. Pick up the Princes Hwy again when we get down to Nowa Nowa head right to pick up the Great Alpine Road out toward Omeo or Bright for the night.

Day Five Thursday 22nd Dec
Continue up the Great Alpine Road out toward Wangaratta. Pick up the Hume again for a short run down to Violet Town across to Murchison then on to Rushworth where I will visit my Sister.

Day Six Friday 23rd Dec. Stay In Rushworth

Day Seven Saturday 24th Dec
Head down to Seymour on the Goulburn Valley Rd.
Down through Yea on to Yarra Glen from there to my parents home in Boronia beneath the Dandenong Ranges. Always feels like home when I see those Mountains.

Spending Christmas day with one of my four Sisters.

We will be around Melbourne for around a week. I am contemplating a ride down the Great Ocean Rd. Or my brother said come out to a weekender he has out at
Loch Sport for a day or so. We’ll work this out later. If you guys down around Melbourne “Ian … Jake” Others?? want to give me a call my mobile number is
0407 582 350. or post something on the site.
Sydney siders Chris, Phil and again anyone else interested give me a call, post or PM me before we leave.

A note to CWS,
Chris, I think you’re beating me in the mileage department. I just went over 5000klm today, give me three or four weeks and we’ll compare again!!!

Obviously we’ll be heading back up north at the end of our stay in Melbourne so we could meet up and have a ride with you Sydney guys on the return trip if that works better for you. If we miss you on the trip I’ll post a few photos etc when we return.
I will hopefully have access to a computer down Melbourne so I may check the site for any posts.

Regards to all,
Hope we get to meet some of you on our trip.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:14 am

with regards to the GOR (Great ocean road) I suggest doing this during the week and not the weekend.
to many tourists on the weekend and its busy as hell.
Make sure you stop along there and check out the 12 apostles, there are awesome to look at. you can even do helicopter flights over them too.

i have no doubt you will have a blast. lucky bugger.
i have no doubt during your trip you will be thinking about the rest of us at work...

NOT!
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 6:24 am

Hi Spike

Sounds like a great holiday trip planned.
If you do go to Bright, I can recommend The Goldfield holiday Units http://www.accomodationguide.com.au/...-CF9D14F42027} run by my wifes Aunt and Uncle. Only a couple of minutes walk to town, Bright is a nice little place.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 9:11 pm
cws

Garage
OK, so SERIOUS bit of road use planned! Nice one, Nick.
Mate, I'm heading north this Friday (16th) toward Byron, planning a first night stop in Port Macquarie, then arrive Byron on the 17th.
Only trouble is I haven't quite got the lady convinced to take the bike (as we had planned) instead of the cage. Hopeful for lots of beach weather, and I haven't quite figured a safe way to attach my surfboard (kneeboard) to the bike yet!!!
I've dreamed up all sorts of gizmos to hang it over her head. I like the idea of a uni-go too, think I could attach it to the top of that no problem, although they seem to be out of business in the short term, maybe moving to the US from whats on their website.
anyhow, I'm dribbling on...
have a great & safe ride in the Xmas lead-up. You'll put on lots of k's by the sounds of it.
If I take the cage to Byron, I might be up for a long ride after the lady goes back to work on the 3rd, cause I'm not back till the 9th. Who knows, maybe we can catch up enroute.
I was thinking of maybe doing a run by myself down the coast, maybe as far as Melbourne, then back up during that week..... We'll see.
Xmas cheers to all

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 5:33 am

Chris,
rather then take the kneeboard with you, see if you can find somewhere close to where your stopping and see if you can hire one for the day.

the other way to do it would be to get a classic trailer and attach it to the top of that

http://www.classicind.com.au/
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 4:08 pm
cws

Garage
Hi Dez.
I've got a mate who's a board manufacturer at Byron already lined up for a "loaner", but I'd still have the same trouble getting it around.
And boards are like bikes, they dont all "work" the same way, you have to get used to the feel of it, and sometimes they're just not right!
And the nice lady on the back would have to sling the legrope over her shoulder and balance it, but then, they have to earn that back seat somehow, don't they???
(OK, thats my most sexist remark this side of Xmas...) ;-)

Thanks for the "classic" link. Having watched the video of the uni-go's though, I think I would prefer the single wheel for operation & stability, but thats some time off I guess...

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 5:39 pm

Gidday Spike,

If you do travel the Great Ocean Road. Just so you know, the speed limit has been reduced to 80 kph and it is patrolled regularly by moving mode radar. The reason for this is that there were frequently yobbos getting down there on their smelly little racers trying to set land speed records. They have been discouraged a bit now but still, at this time of year, there will be traffic everywhere as it is a major holiday destination. The views are fantastic but you may not enjoy the ride. I will be down around Geelong and Torquay area working when you are in town but give me a call and we will try and hook up for a coffee at least. I will send my mobile number on a PM. I will have my chariot back by then and may be able to go for a ride if you're going to be in town for a week.

Fitzy
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 6:43 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Hi Spike, sounds like an awesome few days. While down in Melbourne don't forget to see some of the Mornington Peninsula. ( Aurthers' Seat, Red Hill, Flinders etc ) Some beautiful ridding up in the hills, but fairly compact. May be a bit busy this time of year though. Look forward to seeing the pics.
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Thank's to all for the replies
We have been out nearly every night this week trying to catch up with friends and family as we won't be around for Christmas so I am sorry for not posting a little earlier.
I've got Fitzy's and Onions contact details and I'll give you guys a call when we get down there. Chris If you end up riding down to victoria and it happens to work in with our return trip we may get a chance to hook up for some of the trip back north. Only if you don't hold me up to much though!! Seriously if you are down give me a call.
Ah yes Dezra I will most certainly be thinking of you working away while I'm out there riding every windy bit of road I can find.
Thanks for the accommodation tip Brian if we end up in Bright for the night we'll drop in on the family.
Hilton I take it your in Hong Kong now. We may try some of your riding tips, One of my brothers has a VFR800 and an old friend of mine Paul has a HD Might try and organise a day out with them while we're there.

Again thank's for the replies , I appreciate them.

Regards to all Nick
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 5:48 am

Smile Breakfast

G'day Spike,

Been a little busy and not had much time of late. Spike when in Melbourne you can also give me a call if you like my number is 0428 311 205.
I am working shifts 10/14 over the period and I am sure we can get a ride in or at least a cuppa. Onions if your around maybe we could all get together for breakfast either at Tooradin,Flinders or Noojee, All are pretty good. The pick would be the Parrot Cafe at Noojee. We are located at Langwarrin. Easy to find.

To all on this site Simone and I wish everyone a very merry Christmas. Ride safe everyone.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in