Rear Disk Rotor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Rear Disk Rotor

G`Day all. Am new to community and finding it a wealth of information-thanks. Have just purchased a K1200LT having owned previously 3 x K1100LT`s.Would have brought another but could not find good low mileage ship. Purchased "Evangeline" from bikepoint-one of Barrys unsellables I think. 2002,black & chrome, G.P.S.,6 stack,cruise,two helmets with intercom,4,667Km on the clock for $16,500. There are some bargains out there! One problem. Have metal on metal noise coming from rear(the bikes!). Have been informed this is rear disc rotor and was subject to a recall. Does anyone know anything about this? Sorry for sparcity of info but I am not mechanically minded, in fact my wife developes chest pain if I as much as pick up a hammer!! Would appreciate feedback, Regards, Swampy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 10:31 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Rear Disk Rotor

Hi Swampy, welcome to the mad-house

Metal on metal sounds like it might be brake pads about gone? Is there any scoring on the rotor? Check for that.
The rotor also has some "play" in it, which can sound a bit like a "cow-bell" sometimes. That's not unusual.
I have had a rotor replaced (under warranty) for excessive play after my rear brakes wore very quickly (down to metal) and damaged the rotor.

Checking the rear pads is pretty easy (I've managed to do it )....
check on the FAQ the instructions might have been posted there. If not I've got a Clymers manual, I could scan a couple of relevant pages and email to you.

Cootamundra eh... you'll be a prime candidate for our next Snowy Ride meet!
Welcome and enjoy the site and the group.
cheers

ps.. check the "Similar threads" at the bottom of the page... sometimes you'll find answers there easily.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 8 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 10:34 pm

a lot of folks complaining about the rear brakes squealing. Some tried new pads, Some used brake quiet sealant, A couple even used carboard from a cereal box between the pads and the brake pistons. I came across some very thin phonolic sheet and used it instead of carboard. The only cure that worked 100% of the time was to turn up the stereo. You shouldn't have metal against metal unless your pads are worn out. Good luck and welcome to our community.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 3:48 am

Garage

at 4600k wouldnt think they are worn out unless the pistons are siezed and holding the pads on, its more like rust from lack of use,
at 30k I had to put on a new rotor to stop the cow bell clanging, I used an ebc rotor it uses a slightly different floating system and hopefully wont fail again looking good sofar 70k now and not a hint of trouble.
yes there was a recall I had my 2002 done, in 2002 you would need to contact BMW to confirm if it has been done on your LT and if your lt qualified for the recall..

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. Bike has missed the recall and with so few kilometers on it will be interesting to see if BMW will fix it under warranty. Off to Rolfe Classic for a service and we will see what transpires. Am impressed with the bikes handling. Was initially put off by the size and weight in comparison to my old K1100LT but have found this a non-issue. I do 330 Km travelling to work from Cootamundra to Moruya taking in the Clyde on a weekly basis and very much enjoy the trip. I reckon I am one of the few people who enjoy going to work as much as going home! (Roos and wombats excepted!).
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 5:56 am

Garage

Ah yes, you will love it I went to the super bikes last weekend and all the sport bike riders in the group couldn't work out how I was keeping up !! Little do they know how well the LT rides and handles and which one bit the dust on the great ocean road ? no it wasnt me

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Yes just another poor design feature of the LT: next to the clutch slave cylinder which will piss oil all over your clutch plates soon (in view of the non use the bike has had all your seals will be hard) probably the engine will also leak rear main and others, gear box too. ) get the mod for the slave done soon and you will avoid a couple of thousand unnessasary expence) the rear bevel drive may get you to 20-30 thousand Ks. The rear brake disc has 10 rivets only 7 of which are able to carry the disc load as the cut outs for the other three are too big and don't even touch the rivets ( hell knows why. BMW dont!) . But I love the bike in spite of these things. but some things are piss poor!

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.

Last edited by dave4462; Mar 25th, 2008 at 7:56 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 3:57 am

Hi swamppy,

I had a similar problem at about the same k's, it was found to be loose rivets on the rear disc and was swapped out under warranty. I now have over 40,000 k's and haven't had any noise since. With such low k's BMW should come to the party, but may also claim it is from underuse.

Brett
'03 K1200LT EX Night Black

'89 K100LT
'81 Ducati SD900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in