Advice on "The big Trip" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 2:46 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Advice on "The big Trip"

HowdyFolks-
Hopefully my wife and I will be headed to Oz and NZ March 1(ish) for a few(maybe 6) months. We will probably go as far south as the weather allows and work our way north as it gets colder. We are absorbing the available travel books and talking to friends that have various experience. We will be flying, busing, training, driving and riding. What I'm looking for here is local knowledge/insight.

What's tops in your area?
What's over rated?
What's to be avoided at all costs?
Any thoughts on small camper vans? Motorcycle rentals?
I play guitar and bass. I'll be bringing an electric guitar but no amp, of course. Any jams, info on local music scenes?
Where's the coolest horseback riding?
I don't think I need to do any bungee jumping.......
But, you get the idea. At this point any tidbit of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 5:39 am
cws

Garage
Hi Jim.
You'll get to see quite a lot in 6 months.... the crew here will throw quite a few ideas your way for sure. Bit late to think now...
Where are you starting from, Sydney or Melbourne (once you get to Oz, that is)??

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Chris-
I'm guessing Sydney will be the first stop on OZ.
Jim

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Garage
Hi Jim

there is so much to see here in OZ where can I start.. you are going to love it but if your down this way you will need to travel the great Ocean Road Hell I will even meet you Its a great trip, the Grampians National park is also close by, we have lots of wineries heading towards south australia in the barossa valley keep in touch it would be great to catch up might even give you my LT for a couple of days stick to the coast while traveling dont travel inland so much what to avoid,,, them pesky bloody Roo's

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Jan 14th, 2008 at 4:37 pm.
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

What an offer!!! I'll keep in touch.
Jim
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

ARGGG! There may be a problem. But maybe only with the timing. I can hope.

So come on guys. I'll look awfully funny if when I get off the plane all I can do is stand there with my mouth hanging open. You guys know if you're living in the best (or worst) of something. I can see witchity bugs in my future.

Jim
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 4:12 am
cws

Garage
Aww c'mon Jim... sometimes we gotta work too!

OK, for starters... if you are here anywhere near 3-6 months (in oZ) and want to get around and minimise costs then perhaps buying a 2nd/3rd/whatever hand campervan might be a way to go... (I'm thinking this because I have a sort of relative who's in the business of buying selling them, and I'm pretty sure they go through some reasonable trade-ins when people trade-up). Not that I'm trying to put you onto him, I've just heard him tell a few tales of what they've traded.

There are some REAAALLLLYYY cheap rental vans called "wicked campervans" or similar... all painted up- with slogans (a bit like a '60's kombi!!, only in 2008 motto's) http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/

Bike rentals... a number of them up around Cairns (way up north) good area for riding if its not monsoon season (which it is about now...)
Sydney has renters, Melbourne has renters... just google them... no recommendations really as I've never rented.

Places... you have to spend a few days at least in Sydney... a week if you want a fair gaze around.
Must do's... see The Harbour, Opera House, The Coathanger (Harbour Bridge, which you can climb over for a hefty fee but I think you need to book waaaaay ahead), go on a ferry ride to Manly (beach) & back from Circular Quay.. especially if there's a big southerly swell running... walk around Manly Beach & esplanade. The Zoo (on Sydney Harbour)... great zoo....
Darling Harbour (worlds largest Imax theatre, or at least it was, not sure if it still is).. Bondi beach (world famous... but definately NOT the best beach around).

West of Sydney... Blue Mountains for a day trip (2 hrs there, 2 hrs back by train... amazing valley and rainforest area you can take a cable car into, see the "3 Sisters" (google it). Maybe down to Janolan Caves (limestone formations in huge caverns).

If you wind your way up the NSW coast and want to "jam" my 23 year old son is in a band (bass player) at Port Macquarie (called Sickboy (music on myspace)... yeah that'll really take off... you can always have a jam with him!...)...

If you need guitar my sister owns a rare and antique guitar store at Coogee beach in Sydney (was her husbands before he got ill and passed away a few years back) called Guitar Crazy (google it)....

What else....

Sydneys northern beaches (nice)
Sydneys southside beaches (nice)

The Cental Coast an hour north of Sydney (nice... lived there for quite a while).....

OH, wineries..... Hunter Valley (just up and in from NSW Central Coast... 2 -3 hrs from Sydney) if you like wines... just watch out cause they blow themselves up sometimes (like yesterday)

Dont really bother with Western Sydney (apologies anyone out that way) unless you're heading for the Blue Mountains or further west....

The drive down the NSW South Coast is great... (Better on an LT)
The drive up the NSW North Coast is great (Better on an LT)

VIC (c'mon guys.. suggestions? Onions?)
QLD (Barry?)

DO TASMANIA if you get the chance... wonderful, need AT LEAST 7 days, and that'll be too short....

That big rock in the centre of OZ somewhere, used to be called Ayers Rock (now Uluru or something...) nevers seen it, supposed to be pretty at sunset or sunrise, or on the other....

pant, pant, pant..... just spent the day in Melbourne and I think I've just about got over my "no computer or email" fix...
enough from me for now... back to Stargate reruns...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 2:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! I just looked into wicked and I may want to touch base with your "sort of relative" about a car/ van very used ,with a buy back(?).

I 'm planning on bringing a little headless electric guitar for maintaining a bit 'o dexterity and sanity. Always good to know of a quality music store. Dangerous for me though...

We saw a vid with some Bondi in it today. I'm sure we'll check out the other beaches. More people on that beach in one day than ours for a year.

Checked out your son's music. How long have they been playing? I do try to support those damn young whippersnappers with their whole lives in front of 'em. So maybe I'm too old and maybe not. Nice to have a connection!

"better on an LT? " . Of course. We will probably do some short term rental. I don't think I want to ship mine. Has anyone constructive comment here?

We gotta see the big red rock.
We gotta see the reef and the rainforest.
We gotta see if we can learn to drive on the other side of the road.

Our schedule is still iffy. I hoping we can beat winter in NZ first. Tas is very much in the plans.

Keep the ideas comming!
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 3:07 pm

Garage
you will only get M/C rental in melbourne, sydney etc. major city's I think you will be surprised about the cost it is very expensive this is just one company no LT's

http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/html/prices.html

another

http://www.motorbikerentals.com/moto...cle_hire.shtml

drop em a line and ask some questions

these vans are popular as well
http://www.britz.com.au/campervan-hire-australia

melbourne to the rock 4days of driving Seriously

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Jan 21st, 2008 at 3:28 pm.
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 3:24 pm

Garage
Oh and buy the way if you havent been here before australia is very spread out you can travel for hours and not get very far, but travelling along the coast sure is fantastic here is a link the the 2008 Australian Ulysses AGM to be held in townsville I am planning to take six days just to get there there will probably be 4-6k members attending it will be huge

http://www.ulyssesclub.org/agm2008/

but if you want to attend you will need to be a financial member so get in quick.
go here http://www.ulyssesclub.org/default.asp for more information

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 1:38 pm

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Listen to the tape/cd. He can be a bit humorous. Don't know if his take on Oz is correct or not but it sure got me thinking of a visit.
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 4:16 pm

Garage
Hi Parishollow

well if you reakon your an ironbutt wannabee this is the place to come for a ride to find out. sunny one day and sunnier the next with nothing but scenery and miles of roads (er! thats kilometers)

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 4:23 pm
cws

Garage
wet, wet, wet

errr, unless you are up around central/QLD at the moment... you'd need a jetski instead of an LT with the floods!!
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=343530
All should be gone by the time your thinking of visiting though!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 18 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parishollow
Listen to the tape/cd. He can be a bit humorous. Don't know if his take on Oz is correct or not but it sure got me thinking of a visit.
I like Bill. "The short history of practically everything" is great too.

Keep 'em comming! Things are firming up(again). And THANKS to everyone so far. Wereally are checking the links and ideas that lead to other ideas....

There's alot less info on the west side. What about Perth and beyond?

JL
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 1:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
errr, unless you are up around central/QLD at the moment... you'd need a jetski instead of an LT with the floods!!
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=343530
All should be gone by the time your thinking of visiting though!
Thanks for the link. Checking TV news just hadn't occured to me. Strange the amount of stuff I don't think of...

Man, you guys don't do anything small, do ya?
Seriously,I feel for these poor folks. The effort to get dried out and then get rid of the mold....Geez, it's awful and dangerous too. Your building contractors are gonna be busy for a loooong time.

JL
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 3:56 pm
cws

Garage
Jim,
here's another interesting link I found while do some quick googling for another person; http://www.exploroz.com/
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 10:19 pm

There are some great roads to ride in the west. The south west is truly wonderful, great wineries and eateries with miles of winding roads through the forests, however, distance to Perth from the east is the problem with 2-3 days travel from Adelaide to get here, but well worth it.If you are thinking of coming to Perth keep in contact closer to the date and I'll see what I can arrange for you.
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

I'll be sure to PM every one of you helpful folks to get contact info before we leave.
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in