advice on tankbag? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Smile advice on tankbag?

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help me with some advice on a tank bag? Am picking up 2002 1150 rt next week and need to buy a tank bag before i get the bike.

Can anyone recommend me a good bag that they have purchased relatively recently that they know will fit well on an rt?

For reasons i wont go into I wont have the bike in front of me to try different bags so It would be good to get some advice off someone who knows.

I like the idea of magnetic and the bag doesnt have to be huge either.

Any ideas? Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 1:57 am

Garage
Hi simon cause nobody has answered your Post I will merry xmas, sorry I cant offer you any advice I tow a trailer and have loads of room, had one on an ST1100 and its still in the shed, it was magnetic, my LT is all plastic on top, I wouldnt buy one till you get the bike no good buying a magnetic one till you find out if it will stick

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 7:03 am

Smile Contrary opinion

I personally don't use a tank bag. I had one and tended to fill it up with things I "had" to have withing arms reach. It became like my wife's purse. Filled with needless items she can never find when necessary and pounds of "stuff" like an albatross around her neck. Got rid of the bag, shed a few pounds and never went back.

In my opinion, tank bags prove the Vacuum Principle. Empty space attracts items, most unnecessary. Just try it sometime. Clean out a closet and see how long i takes to get cluttered up again! Try not using a tank bag and you might be surprised. It also tends to break up the beautiful lines of the bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 1:10 am
cws

Garage
Magnetic?

Simon, check out whether the tank is a steel construction first, otherwise the magnetic will be a waste of time. I use a magnetic I kept from the K75RT on the LT, the slight extra weight of the magnets helps, but thats all. They just wont attract to plastic...
Personally I like the tankbag so I do have "at the fingertips" stuff, like a bottle of water on quick stops, maps (the Garmin 2610 just doesn't give the "big picture" easily), and other handy items.
Its a personal choice.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 1:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all and a merry xmas to all.

Love the advice I get on this forum!
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 6:43 pm

If you can get one shipped to you for a reasonable price, RKA makes really great bags and at least one is made specifically for the 1150RT. I have one on my LT. It's expandable and is very well made. It's nice to have a map that you can glance at from time to time and if you're on a really long ride, tank bags are very handy. By the way, the 1150 RT has plastic body panels all over it so you'll have to use the strap versions.

If you don't already have it, the website is; www.rka-luggage.com
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 9:05 am

Re: advice on tankbag?

For what its worth I have the RKA Luggage (http://www.rka-luggage.com/A08%20BMW...T/K1200LT.html) and its excellant...

Use the tank bag to hold my Andriod phone when I've got the sat-nav running on it and the pannier bags are used weekly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in