Seven Days in Australia...Suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2007, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Seven Days in Australia...Suggestions

Need a little help... First time visit to Australia, from Sydney with seven days to visit. Appreciate your suggestions.

BMW bike rentals? LT, RT or GS

Self guide tour company available?

Feb 24 - Mar 5 2008

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2007, 10:28 pm

There is a lot to see and do in Sydney though it would not be my first choice of places to visit in Australia. My wife and I visited Australia 5 years ago and spent 5 days in Sydney. It is a major metropolitan city like you can find throughout the world.

Definitely go and see the Blue Mountains that are an easy day trip west of Sydney. If you can i would suggest going to the Gold Coast around Brisbane. I would also recommend the harbour tour and the other local sights in and around Sydney.

If it were me, I would try to extend my trip so that I spent at least 10-14 days in Australia since you will be severely jet lagged for the first 2-3 days. The people are very friendly and I'm sure you will have a great time.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2007, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
There is a lot to see and do in Sydney though it would not be my first choice of places to visit in Australia. My wife and I visited Australia 5 years ago and spent 5 days in Sydney. It is a major metropolitan city like you can find throughout the world.

Definitely go and see the Blue Mountains that are an easy day trip west of Sydney. If you can i would suggest going to the Gold Coast around Brisbane. I would also recommend the harbour tour and the other local sights in and around Sydney.

If it were me, I would try to extend my trip so that I spent at least 10-14 days in Australia since you will be severely jet lagged for the first 2-3 days. The people are very friendly and I'm sure you will have a great time.
Thanks, actually planning a 3 week tour of New Zealand first, North and South Island... then hop over to Australia from Christchurch NZ for a look-see for a few days... before heading back to USA. Kinda a taste of Australia, maybe for a return extended tour someday.

Thanks for reply

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 6:47 am

Hi Don
Try this site http://www.bikescape.com.au/default.htm.
It seems to offer everything you want. Bikes, short tours up to 4 days, accommodation, maps, insurance.
The "SYDNEY'S BEST - WINE & MOUNTAINS" tour looks like it would be good.
Hope you have a great time on your holiday.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Hi Don
Try this site http://www.bikescape.com.au/default.htm.
It seems to offer everything you want. Bikes, short tours up to 4 days, accommodation, maps, insurance.
The "SYDNEY'S BEST - WINE & MOUNTAINS" tour looks like it would be good.
Hope you have a great time on your holiday.
Hey Brian, Thanks for the reply.. Great information on the link. I think this is just what we are looking for in Sydney.

I got a email off to them for additional information on our dates in Australia.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #6 of 17 Old Nov 19th, 2007, 5:28 am
cws

Garage
Hi Don. There are a lot of good rides around Sydney, once you get out of the city itself, either North, West or South (east you get a bit wet...).

Are you looking for day trips from a Sydney base, or 7 days constant travelling out of the city? So many options that you can do over several days.
http://bestbikingroads.com/show_rout...hp?rid=1879641 links to one quick ride, look around for other ridess here too. There's another site for rides someone put me onto recently, can't find it now but I'll keep looking...

You can do the "Snowy" loop over a couple of days, some nice riding (see our recent ride pics under "Snowy" topic().

You can do Sydney to Melbourne via coast roads, then back through inland easily over a few days of hard riding, a couple of thousand kms.

Really just depends on what you're interested in seeing.... give us a few more clues! Also get onto Google Earth and have a bit of a hunt around....

cheers (and remember to ride on the LH side of the road, same in NZ!!!!)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 17 Old Nov 19th, 2007, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hi Don. There are a lot of good rides around Sydney, once you get out of the city itself, either North, West or South (east you get a bit wet...).

Are you looking for day trips from a Sydney base, or 7 days constant travelling out of the city? So many options that you can do over several days.
http://bestbikingroads.com/show_rout...hp?rid=1879641 links to one quick ride, look around for other ridess here too. There's another site for rides someone put me onto recently, can't find it now but I'll keep looking...

You can do the "Snowy" loop over a couple of days, some nice riding (see our recent ride pics under "Snowy" topic().

You can do Sydney to Melbourne via coast roads, then back through inland easily over a few days of hard riding, a couple of thousand kms.

Really just depends on what you're interested in seeing.... give us a few more clues! Also get onto Google Earth and have a bit of a hunt around....

cheers (and remember to ride on the LH side of the road, same in NZ!!!!)
Chris, thanks for reply

I had already checked out the "Snowy ride", looks like a good turnout and some great riding.

We would be interested in a large loop out of Sydney instead of day rides.

Got an email back this morning from touring company with a plan as well, however you can help me with some basic data..

From Feb. 25 to March 5, how is the Weather and Temps?
How difficult to find hotels or accomadations without reservations?

We're thinking of just renting bikes and heading out on our own and do a large loop back to Sydney for the departure flight.

For New Zealand, we're thinking of booking with tour company and doing a three week...North and South Island starting in Auckland and departing Christchurch, then while booking the flights and checking prices, we found that we could include Sydney for the return flight without any increase in airfare... so we'll depart Chirstchurch to Sydney, we wanted to get a taste of Australia for a few days as well...so we can come back another day and see other parts. So we taking advantage of this "free bonus flight"

So, for the limited time in Australia, we will ride and see...not much for boat tours, hiking trails.. just motorcycling the area.

Heck I might even have one of our STC (Spring Training Camps) in the land down under.

Maybe we can have a RTE with the locals while we there as well.

Thanks in advance for all the good information to everyone that has posted.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #8 of 17 Old Nov 19th, 2007, 12:55 pm

G'day Don

At the time that you're thinking of coming here, the temps should be okay for you. We will be heading towards the end of summer so you should be travelling in around the high 20's to mid 30's (Celsius) and the school holidays will be over so getting accommodation without booking shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My place is around 1.5 hours north of Sydney so if you're in the area, I reckon Mrs Dog and I could give you a roof over your heads for a night or 2 if you're interested. Lots of nice roads around from freeway (Boring) to twisty stuff (FUN ) within the Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle areas. Just like what Chris said.

As for Un Zud, just remember especially when you're on South Island, if you haven't gone around a corner in 1 kilometre, then you have either hit a cliff wall or gone into the ocean .

Ride safe mate

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #9 of 17 Old Nov 19th, 2007, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dog
G'day Don

At the time that you're thinking of coming here, the temps should be okay for you. We will be heading towards the end of summer so you should be travelling in around the high 20's to mid 30's (Celsius) and the school holidays will be over so getting accommodation without booking shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My place is around 1.5 hours north of Sydney so if you're in the area, I reckon Mrs Dog and I could give you a roof over your heads for a night or 2 if you're interested. Lots of nice roads around from freeway (Boring) to twisty stuff (FUN ) within the Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle areas. Just like what Chris said.

As for Un Zud, just remember especially when you're on South Island, if you haven't gone around a corner in 1 kilometre, then you have either hit a cliff wall or gone into the ocean .

Ride safe mate
Thanks David for info and for the roof over our heads...At present time, looks like maybe two of us or possible four...so I take a raincheck on the offer to stay...When I come back someday..I may cash that offer in then..

I do hope to be able to meet for lunch with a few of you guys (mates and sheilas) while there.. will keep you posted on our plans..

As for Un Zud, are there many active forum member there?

Looking at all the information thus far, the Sydney loop for 7/8 days north maybe up to Gold Coast area and loop back via coast line.

I'm located in Southeast USA, about 1.5 hours from "world famous" Deal's Gap, but I can show you other roads that make the Gap look like a kid's playgound, without all the crowds.. If you guys ever over this way... I expect a notice....

Thanks again... hope to see some of you in late Feb or early March 08.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #10 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:20 am

Best thing to do with seven days in Oz is to double it.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:58 am
cws

Garage
not wrong Tony.
Wish I could get time off work. I'd come with ya, Don! Could be a significant birthday present to myself...!

Some other links to ponder:
http://www.getrouted.com.au/index.htm
http://www.roadrider.com.au/home
http://www.roadrider.com.au/motorbik...aperwork_rider

and...

the one I was really looking for... written by the editor of Aust Road Rider...

http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au/cgi-.../ZEAAUS10.html
"We have worked with one of Australia's leading motorcycle writers, Peter (The Bear) Thoeming to detail 100 Top Rides throughout Australia and each of these rides has a full page devoted to it at the start of the book. Each ride is described with respect to what to see and all the features and each ride is referenced back to the totally revised Road Atlas, which takes up the rear 92 pages of the book"

Can vouch for it personally, but other bike riding friends have!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Best thing to do with seven days in Oz is to double it.
I am beginning to think that way! or at least 10 days this trip.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #13 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 8:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
not wrong Tony.
Wish I could get time off work. I'd come with ya, Don! Could be a significant birthday present to myself...!

Some other links to ponder:
http://www.getrouted.com.au/index.htm
http://www.roadrider.com.au/home
http://www.roadrider.com.au/motorbik...aperwork_rider

and...

the one I was really looking for... written by the editor of Aust Road Rider...

http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au/cgi-.../ZEAAUS10.html
"We have worked with one of Australia's leading motorcycle writers, Peter (The Bear) Thoeming to detail 100 Top Rides throughout Australia and each of these rides has a full page devoted to it at the start of the book. Each ride is described with respect to what to see and all the features and each ride is referenced back to the totally revised Road Atlas, which takes up the rear 92 pages of the book"

Can vouch for it personally, but other bike riding friends have!
Chris, thanks again for the great links...

Your welcome to come along.

Going to check out the book and see if I can get it here in USA, maybe Barnes&Noble or Amazon.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #14 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Another good link

Try these too Don:

www.street-directory.com.au some of the maps are incomplete, but that's only if you go really off the beaten track

www.travelmate.com.au has a trip calculator but takes the most direct and well known way.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #15 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Ok, someone had to do this and add the humor; "say hello to Crocodile Dundee" for me, will ya' mate?

Don, did you get your piece of paper?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #16 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Ok, someone had to do this and add the humor; "say hello to Crocodile Dundee" for me, will ya' mate?

Don, did you get your piece of paper?
Hey Brett, got the paper, thank you so much.

Say hello to Crocodile Dundee, I hear he rides a R1200GS up in the "bush" and got an LT for the rest of oz..

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #17 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2007, 6:02 am

Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT
Hey Brett, got the paper, thank you so much.

Say hello to Crocodile Dundee, I hear he rides a R1200GS up in the "bush" and got an LT for the rest of oz..
He seems like the kind of guy that would ride a GS!

He may even ride the GSA to carry that big knife of his around!

Y'all have a GREAT Thanksgiving.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in