New to LT's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

New to LT's

Hi everyone

I checked into the US forums and found we had a forum here in Auz. Bought a 2003 LT with all the goodies a couple of weeks back. traded my old 96 R1100RT for it. I thought that the LT may be a bit big for me (I am 5'8" - 173cm) but after nearly dropping the thing the next day (wife was laughing and stating that "I told you it was a bit big for you"), I am now getting used to it and loving it. Handling is great, comfort beaut!. No vibes. Smooth as silk. I am very impressed with the bike and hope to have many tours without any major troubles.

Question: Has anyone here in Auz cut the "Brown Wire" or is it not necessary here.

Hope to see you in the future

Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:52 pm
cws

Garage
welcome

Hi Graham, welcome to the mob.
It's just a fat sportsbike thats really comfy.. you'll have great time on it (both of you; she gets the best seat, just no steering for m'lady)!

Brown wire, if I recall correctly (could well be wrong) its not an issue for us, think its a US thing with their regulations... but I could well be incorrect. Definately not an issue on my 05, but do a bit of a search (the search engine is pretty good, once you figure it out).

Plenty of space for fellow LT'ers on the Snowy Ride in a couple of weeks, if you've got any $$$ left, that is!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 23 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:00 pm
cws

Garage
Hall of Wisdom

Under Technical link at top of page "FAQ" & "Hall of Wisdom" will answer many things:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?..._faq_brownwire

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 1:24 am Thread Starter

Hall of Wisdom

Thanks for the info. I have checked on the link but it seems that the ones that have cut the wire are from USA. I checked and my LT has the wire unbroken. I do not have any hesitations when riding as others seem to have had and they have stated that the bike preforms better. Will try and see what happens, If no improvement, I can always reconnect.

Don't have much money left for the Snony Trip and also due to work commitments. Maybe next year.

While looking at the forums there also seems many faults with the LT's, Hopefully I don't have any.

Thanks again

Graham
post #5 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 3:49 am

Garage
Hi Graham am new to the site also, have been trawling through the forums for a few weeks and found so much good information and tips from all the friendly people here, I am a bit ashamed to say I have dropped my LT wait for it,,,,,,, 14 times LOL I replaced the plastic covers twice so no one would know, now who cares just pick the bugger up and away. I have only picked it up once myself people arrive to see how much damage also to have a look and I get them to pick it up quite funny actually, and as for the brown wire I cut mine yesterday and a big difference was felt immeadiatly good luck with the new bike

Linton
bought new in 2002 LT 65000km now
post #6 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:10 am

Smile

G'day Graham & Axle, Welcome to the sight guys, You are going to love your bikes, I thought about selling mine but I just can't part with it. Yep they are heavy but they do handle well. As for problems, I have been lucky so far. Every bike or car has some form of problem at some stage. (I also drive a land rover so I know that for sure).
Do you standard checks, get it serviced and ride.

Head shake is probably to me the most annoying thing, I have it on my 04/05 even with new tyres and playing with pressures. But I live with it now, it comes around 60 -70 kmh. weight, tyre pressure, size of tyre, road surface , who knows.

Just Enjoy.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #7 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:29 am

Hi Graham. Welcome to the group.
Gee, I just spent two weeks in Oakflats where my inlaws live and I had the LT with me. If I had known you were so close, we could have met up for a ride.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #8 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:33 am

New to LT

I'm just wondering......do LT's in the southern hemisphere tip in the opposite direction? Tee-hee
post #9 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 3:00 pm

Thumbs up Welcome

G'day Graham

Welcome to the forum. I know how you feel about the weight of the bike mate, I had some concerns myself. Mainly for my bad back. But once you get used to lifting the beast, not a problem.

Just keep an eye on your clutch slave cylinder. My bike is an '04 with less than 20000 kms on it (I know, not even run in yet) and the clutch is just starting to slip. Been doing the ring around for parts and looks like the LT might be off the road for a little while until funds are available. Ah well, that's the price you pay for luxury.

See you out on the roads (not in the near future though it seems )

Ride safe all.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #10 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm looking at the 2007 or 2008 K1200LT model. Based on the referenced
"Brown Wire" material, will I really have to cut the wire to get the two-map
features??? Seems kinda silly to have this disabled on the newer bikes.

Guess I'll put it on my list of things to ask the dealer when I check out the
2008 in the showroom on Saturday. Guess the only way is to open the seat
and look for the loop of brown wire..

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #11 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Hi Big Dog

Have read all about the slave cylinder issues. They say to drill a hole to stop the fluid leaking into the clutch. That is all well but, there is a lot of hardware to be removed to do this. Looks like a days job or more to do.

My LT has 60K and doesn't have any issues yet, hopefully (touch wood) that I don't have any major problems.

Gees I had an R1100RT for 6 years that I traded for the LT and I never had one problem with it, That is why I went for another BMW for their reliability, comfort and handling. Seems like the LT's are not that reliable??.

Cheers

Graham
post #12 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Brian

Next time you come down drop in, It would great to have a chat and a bit of a ride.

Cheers

Graham
post #13 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Hi Axle

Have you had any issues with your LT??

Graham
post #14 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Garage
G'day Graham

been mostly trouble free rear brake rotor replaced at 45000km other than that no problems to speak of the clutch depending on how I ride slips sometimes I have pulled a trailer from new and until this year, always had the trouble and strife on the back I now do all my own service as southbank in melbourne (closest dealer) 5hrs away charge a hell of lot more than they are worth owning a BMW seems to imply that you have heaps of money and they charge accordingly. I buy all my parts from albury nsw they are cheaper. I bought a new screen from eagle screens 120mm higher with winged sides for touring, and use an autocom for on bike communications I would love to get get some mick-O pegs but they dont ship to OZ. any one out there with some they want to get rid off pls contact me

Linton
Portland Australia

Last edited by Axle; Oct 18th, 2007 at 5:03 pm.
post #15 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:57 am

Garage
Graham
I forgot to mention broke my trunk latch a couple of weeks ago you cant buy them have to buy a new top top box at $1200 so I had it repaired and repainted, then removed the L/H pin from the top lid I know it may break again so I make sure I push down on the lid before opening or closing the latch,

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #16 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 3:04 am
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
I would love to get get some mick-O pegs but they dont ship to OZ. any one out there with some they want to get rid off pls contact me
Some of the US boys are kind enough to acquire and ship parts out to us. Ping Tony in Texas [email protected] or PM him through the site. He also now strips down LT's and sells parts. Tony shipped me a care package of things a while back which I ordered online and had shipped to his place, and there are other guys also willing to help out! Anything you want, just post on the main forum, they are a great bunch.

Oh, and someone in the US also makes a replacement latch for the top-box.... keep searching, any question has probably been asked, and answered, before!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Oct 19th, 2007 at 3:07 am. Reason: more info
post #17 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
Graham
I forgot to mention broke my trunk latch a couple of weeks ago you cant buy them have to buy a new top top box at $1200 so I had it repaired and repainted, then removed the L/H pin from the top lid I know it may break again so I make sure I push down on the lid before opening or closing the latch,
Here you go Axle, check out this thread http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7854 for a replacement trunk latch.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #18 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 6:04 pm

Garage
thanks Brian
emailed millenhaus last week and touched base then decided to try and repair as he had none ready for shipping, no doubt at some time it may break again but its holding for now its a wierd looking beast without the top box got some funny looks riding the bootless LT around. told a few peeps it was a new model

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #19 of 23 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 2:02 am

Red face

G,day Graham,
I have an 01 always run on Premium where possible, only get hesitation when it is really hot, I was going to cut the brown wire but couldnt find it????
got about 21,000kays spends a lot of time connected to the battery tender,
Yeah I know I should be ashamed.
Craig
post #20 of 23 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:54 am

Craigo it's about time that you had a look on this forum all we need to do now is get you out more on the bike
post #21 of 23 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Hi Craig

I cut the Brown Wire on Sunday (had a photo from this site). If you look around the wiring harness on the R/Hand rail, under the front seat your will find a looped brown wire comes out of the main harness. I cut it and placed a toggle switch just in case!!.

Well, the engine is a lot quiter, no hestitations (when cold or hot) and seems to preform better. I am trying to check on the fuel economy to see if it is better, equal or heavier. Will let you know.

Also get that LT out of the garage and on the road. LT's are not meant to be in garages!!.

Graham
post #22 of 23 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:12 am

Unhappy

Hey Bully,
Fancy seeing you here, Yea I know just have to ride it more, I keep saying that but it doesnt happen. I took it out to pick up my run sheets last weekend 8km woohoo! First time since March. It is supposed to be for sale but I'm not making that big an effort its in the Quokka and so far I havent had any calls yet, lucky eh.
Craig
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 5:22 am

Craigo join a club and come out riding. Crackers and I made a run out to Kulin bush races just for the hell of it 700km day lots of fun the lt loved it. If you don't make the time to ride you'll be old and retired before you know it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in