Snowy update time - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 10:47 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Snowy update time

Hi all!

Getting closer, time to really start thinking about a gathering, dinner together, ride route if we want to run as a group (or not!)....

The previous attendees list, with the mods I can recall, possibly stands at:

Barry Lane - maybe/maybe not (?)
Jake & Simone (cancelled out - Jake forgot his Girl Scouts meeting ).... (just foolin' mate )
Chris Swinbanks (+Kerry) 0418 411 499 House of Ullr
BrianD and Mim The Alpine Hotel
Kevin & Vicki 0431236886 Squatters Run
Brendan and Sam Malone Organsing accom now! 0412 832 262
Daryll and Jen 0412 198256 - Kasees Apartments
Ian (Onions) - 0418 348120 - Fingers crossed (?)

Any more additions or updates ???

How about meeting for drinks on Friday afternoon, weather permitting at the bar (nice outside table) at House of Ullr... as we did last year! Good spot for a tipple.

I'm presuming we still have our booking (for 20?) at the Drakes Restaurant - Snow Goose Lodge on Sat night. (Barry, I haven't contacted them as yet). Good if we can get an update on numbers to try to confirm with the restaurant.

Saturdays ride... anyone interested in doing the group ride thing? Loop enough enough of the towns to get our 3 stamps (doesn't take much), see a little countryside, then do the run up to Charlotte's Pass, before winding back to Thredbo for a little relaxing before heading back out for the "Mass Ride" (Blue Cow tube station back to Thredbo, about a 10 min run back in...)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:18 am

Mim and I are good for drinks Friday and dinner Saturday, just so long as we can catch some of the band in the square. See you all there.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:54 pm

Hi Chris,

Yep its only a few weeks now and so long as my LT doesn't sell between now and the ride, I'll be a definate starter.

I'll pop in for a drink on the Friday arvo, but also have my regular Canberra crew that I stay with every year to catch up with as well so it will be a hectic social weekend catching up with everyone. Put me down for the dinner on the Saturday night though.

As for the ride, I'm not sure at this point what the plans of the Canberra crew are, but we generally do some variation of the Alpine loop every year, and I'm keen to do that again this year.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:54 am

Meet & Greet

Hi There
Vicki and myself will be arriving thrusday night more than willing to meet friday afternoon and the dinner saturday night.
Would be good to disscuss the saturday ride friday night as I have never done this ride before hoping to ride with a group of sorts lol

regards Kevin
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 5:30 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Sat ride...

Hi Kevin!

If you haven't received your "Snowy" pack yet, you should get it very soon. Got mine 2 days ago.
Inside is a map with the various checkpoints (big yellow dots). You only need stamps from 3 (including Thredbo) to get into the extra draw for prizes.
Barry's "loop" is a pretty solid day ride (maybe 4-5 hrs plus stops?, Barry?) with Thredbo to Khancoban being the toughest section, where it's extremely tight, twisty and slow (watch out for the cops on any straight stretch, and 'roos jumping over the road!).
An easier but good ride is Thredbo-Jindabyne-Dalgety, then either
Cooma-Adaminaby-Berridale-Jindabyne (longer ride) or
Cooma-Berridale-Jindabyne, or if too short on time (eg late start)
Berridale-Jindabyne.... so many options!

But I really suggest ending with the run from Jindabyne up to Charlottes Pass and back (through the snowfields), then on the way back into Thredbo, a stop at "Wild Brumby" Distillery (schnapps tasting) on the left hand side just before getting near the windy bits heading back to to Thredbo! I'll be ordering another case of 6 to be delivered home!

Looking forward to doing the run with a few LT'ers!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Oct 17th, 2007 at 7:02 am. Reason: misspelled
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Barry's "loop" is a pretty solid day ride (maybe 4-5 hrs plus stops?, Barry?) with Thredbo to Khancoban being the toughest section, where it's extremely tight, twisty and slow (watch out for the cops on any straight stretch, and 'roos jumping over the road!).
Yep its a fair sort of ride the loop, but worth the effort at least once. The run from Khancoban to Thredbo is the part I like the most. The road is non stop twisties all the way, and the scenery is spectacular. I've seen lots of cops and brumby poop. But no roos as yet.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #7 of 17 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:10 am

Smile

Good on yer Chris, Simone will not let me forget the stuff up with this one.

Before I program any other events with my vol stuff I will look at the bike calender first.
Hope you all have a great time. I have been over that area many times and every road is great. Wish I could be their.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 2:29 am

I'm Out .... AGAIN!

Hi Everyone,

Been doing lots of things up here in preperation for the snowy ride. Washed and polished the bike and gave it an oil change and filter. When I was doing that I noticed that the tyres were looking doubtful as to whether they will make the trip. So I checked my records and found that I've done about 8,500k on this current set of tyres, and if I don't change them before hand, I'll certainly have to change them when I get back - otherwise they won't pass a safety inspection if someone then wants to buy the bike.
So I sat down and crunched the numbers and frankly to go to the snowy ride is going to end up costing me way too much if I factor in the extra 450 bucks for new tyres either before or after the event.
Sadly guys I'm going to have to give it a miss as we're watching the pennies at present, business has been quieter this year, and is likely to remain that way until a new shipment of stock arrives in December.
I have already entered the ride, so if anyone wants to use my entry I'll gladly send them the sticker that gets free entry into the National park for the weekend. I'll hang onto my card just in case I win the Honda.
I'm seriously dissapointed as I was looking forward to catching up with everyone again, but with the limited riding I now do, I can't justify the cost of another set of tyres just to complete this one trip. :-(

I know you'll all have a great time, particulalry those for whom this will their first snowy ride.

Have fun and ride safely.

Cheers for now

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #9 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 3:13 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
bummer Barry. The 'roos and brumby's will be much safer, I'm sure..

OK, so, can I get a show of hands for the Saturday night dinner then? I'd like to give the restaurant a call and try to confirm some numbers no more than 2 weeks out....ie, by end of next week (26 Oct)

Chris x 2
Brian x 2
Kevin x 2

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 17 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:38 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Have a safe ride!

Gents and Ladies...
have a safe trip to Snowy.
I'll be starting off tomorrow lunchtime, and Kerry and I are looking forward to catching up for a drink on Friday afternoon, and dinner on Sat!
see you there!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 1:29 am

leaving Thursday

Hi all
Vicki and I will be leaving on thursday morning around 10.30am heading down to Canberra Via Goulburn for a lovely steak at the bowling club (just to keep warm lol). remember take care in the rain
regards
Vicki And Kevin
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 1:39 am

And to think I gave up the Snowy ride to go sailing last weekend, then snapped my mast on the second lap of race 1 which finished my weekend of sailing off altogether. lol

Hope you all have a great time at the Snowy ride. Take it easy if the roads are a bit wet. Ride safe and have fun.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #13 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 1:49 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
brrrrrrr

NSW Forecast for Thredbo Village
Wednesday
Sleety showers
Min -1C Max 5C

Thursday
Possible shower
Min -1C Max 7C

Friday
Possible shower
Min -1C Max 9C

Saturday
Mostly fine
Min 0C Max 10C

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 5:35 am

Think I like these temps from www.weather.com.au

Thredbo Village
Thursday:
A Few Showers. Mostly Cloudy. Cool. 5 - 16

Friday:
Scattered Showers. Mostly Cloudy. Mild. 6 - 19

Saturday:
Afternoon Clouds. Mild. 8 - 23 (no rain forecast)

Sunday:
Showers Late. Afternoon Clouds. Mild. 10 - 23

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 7:27 am

Hey boys the weather in Perth this weekend should be low 30's, enjoy the sleet and rain! I think I'll go and check out this summers bikini fashions at the OBH but I'll think of you shivering away in the cold
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 8th, 2007, 1:30 am

Need to test that the heated grips are working...
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2007, 4:12 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Gday Barry (Pikey), welcome to the site.
We didn't need heated grips, didn't get that cold this time. Although Brendan (AussieLT) has a nice shot of an iced-over seat!
Did you go to Snowy Ride? And, what are you riding?
regards

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in