A tour of New Zealand by LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 6:49 am Thread Starter

A tour of New Zealand by LT?

I'm just kicking around an idea here.

One of my long term goals has been to tour N.Z on a bike, preferably on "MY" bike. I did look into the cost of shipping my LT to NZ last year, and I think at the time I was quoted $3,200 (or there abouts) return. I know it was a lot dearer than most smaller bikes, because they can only fit four LT's to a container. So the cost to ship the container is spread across four bikes, rather than the usual ten.

To make it worthwhile to ship my bike over, I figure I'd have to allow at least 4 or 5 weeks to tour around, and that should give me sufficient time to tour parts of both the North and South Islands.

I'd thought of staying in onsite cabins, because I didn't want the hassle of carrying a tent, or camping if I encountered wet weather. I felt I could live well on about $150 per day, as long as I was relatively self sufficient, and I'd have to budget for around $10,000 - $12,000 in total to do the trip, taking into account sight seeing costs etc.

This will be one of those things I've wanted to be able to cross off my "must do" in my life list, and my plan is to start saving now, and do a trip in the later part of 2010.

Why 2010? Well simply because by 2010 my kids will both be old enough to stay home and look after themselves. So I can't see myself doing this kind of trip before 2010, even if I had the time and money.

So by planning well ahead, it allows me plenty of time to research and save up for the trip.

Most motorcyclists I talk to share the same dream as I do, to one day tour N.Z on their own bike. I'm wondering if there are any other members here that would "seriously" be interested in doing a trip like this as a group? Remember I'm talking about doing this in the later half of 2010, so its still 3 and a bit years away.

If we were able to get a group together of say, four bikes (one container load of LT's), then we might be able to pool our collective wisdoms, plan a fantastic trip, and perhaps get some better deals.

Anyone interested in kicking the idea around a bit more seriously?

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by barryst1100; Jun 15th, 2007 at 6:59 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 7:35 am

It sounds like you have a good plan. I do plan on going to New Zealand, but I'm not sure yet what year. When I do I will ride a different bike. I haven't decided if I will take a tour or do it by myself.

You can check Whitehorse. They seem to have some good books on traveling there that would likely be a good help to you.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 8:16 am

You may want to check how much Airfreight is to ship the bike. From the costs you mentioned it sounds like air shipping would be almost the same price and a lot faster.

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 11:45 am

Sounds good. We were actually thinking of doing it 2009 because we probably won't go to Penrith AGM. 2010 would mean more time to save though.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriach
You may want to check how much Airfreight is to ship the bike. From the costs you mentioned it sounds like air shipping would be almost the same price and a lot faster.

Ken
I was talking to a German guy who lives part time in Florida. He said he air shipped his LT basically for the cost of a ticket on Lufthansa. He rode it to the cargo/luggage/baggage area and they parked and secured it to a pallet.

Motor On ,/'

post #6 of 8 Old Jun 17th, 2007, 5:03 am

One New Zealander

Hi Barry
Not to sure here But I think that I'm the only Kiwi here LOL heading back there next week to queenstown for the week then up to auckland to see parents. So if there is any info you need please ask.
I was in the army there and know there is not many places I have not been camping training or just touring over there.
we also took all our kids over for a two week tour of the south Island and that was not enough time lol. any way cut this short lol
if there is anything you need to know please ask
also note airfieght goes by wieght not size and I would expect the cost to be vary high One way
regards Kevin
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 17th, 2007, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Guys. I don't think air freighting the bike over is an option from here, but will check it out further to be sure.

Brian we'll talk more at the Snowy ride about this idea. If you and MIm were looking at doing something in 2009, then it might suit us both to do the trip together?

Kevin thanks for the offer to pick up any info I need while your over in N.Z next week. Really the only thing that would be nice to have would be some good road maps of both islands, and any information on caravan and camping parks, or other budget style accommodation options. Theres so much other info on the internet these days, but a good map to spread and plan off is priceless, so anything you can find in the way of local and regional maps will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I've also had the most amazingly generous offer from another member of this forum, who has been kind enough to offer me the use his LT that he will shipping back to New Zealand some time in 2008. There are some exceptionaly nice people in this forum.

Cheers for now

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #8 of 8 Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:03 pm
cws

Garage
Thumbs up loaner...

well, thats got to beat the shipping or rental price! Nice one!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in