Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandra Hills, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Given that we seem to be predominantly catering for QLD, NSW, Vic and S.A riders while we're not intentionally excluding riders from W.A or N.T. It will always be difficult to work around those two states because of the sheer distances that are involved.
My personally prefference would be to do something in conjunction with the Snowy ride each year. Here's some reasons why,
1) Its a great event, a good cause (supporting childhood cancer), and theres always a great atmosphere about the place thats great to be a part of.
2) Imagine a line drawn between Brisbane and Adelaide. Thredbo is 1,400k's from Brisbane, and 1,100K's from Adelaide, and a lot less from anywhere else southeast of the imaginary line. Which means most people can comfortably ride to Thredbo in one day, two days max for those of us in QLD or S.A. That means for many, being able to attend the event is really no more difficult than planning to have the Friday off work, cause you can ride back home on the Sunday.
3) Generally most people stay for 2 nights in Thredbo (the Friday and Saturday nights), this gives us plenty of time to catch up and chat, and of course we can then all do the Saturday ride as a group if we wish, and we have time to chat more at meal stops etc.
4) The Snowy ride is on pretty much the same weekend in November each year. So that saves us having to work out dates that will suit everyone, and its generally a pleasant time of the year to be riding.
5) The roads in the Alpine region of Australia are sensational to ride, as are most of the road that lead into that area. So if your like me and have to spend two days riding to get there, at least your riding some pretty nice roads as you get into that region.
6) The accommodation options are plentiful and good, and reasonably priced that time of the year. And if we plan well enough ahead we can probably book a complete hotel for ourselves, or at least get multiple adjoining apartments.
7) The meal options are also plentiful with a good selection of pubs and restuarants to choose from.
8) Saturday night there is always a good rock concert playing in the town square, which is a great way to finish the weekend off.
9) There are probably a few of us that like to go to both the AGM and the Snowy ride each year. So getting more time away to attend a "stand alone" LT riders meet and greet, kind of gets incrumentally harder.
10) The AGM is great, but its for Ulysses people only, and some LT riders aren't Ulysses age yet, so the Snowy ride is perhaps the better alternative of those two.
Just my two bobs worth. What say you?
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by barryst1100; May 31st, 2007 at 12:44 am.