Aussie Reunion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old May 30th, 2007, 1:48 am Thread Starter

Aussie Reunion

HI everyone

Well could we call that our first unoffical reunion LOL was a fantastic turn out and good to see a great range of bike's and gear,

Well Ladies and Gentleman as you are all aware we are looking to start up our own reunion I have a great list of interested parties.

first order of business is a date, that is suitable to the majority i know it will not suit all but we must make a start

so as above could we have a few ideas on dates

Vicki and I thank everyone for making us so welcome

regards

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old May 30th, 2007, 5:44 am

G'day Kevin,

This is a great idea, and it was kicked around a bit last year, and kind of settled on the idea of arrangeing a meet and greet that would coincide with the Ulysses AGM.

Its always going to be a hit and miss affair when you try to pin down dates and destinations. The only other suggestion I'd make would be to perhaps have it coincide with the Snowy Ride in Thredbo each year, as I know several of the group head down there each year.

But combining something each year with the Uly's AGM's will likely pull a bigger responce. Perhaps something a little more formal like an all LT ride day somewhere while the AGM is on could be a good idea.

With my commitment to work and family, I'm lucky to get to the Snowy ride, let alone anything else, but I'm planning on going to the Townesville AGM.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old May 30th, 2007, 8:59 am

Smile

G'day Everyone,

Simone and I are very interested. As my shifts are 10/14 4 on 4 off the earlier the notice the better. I think to assit everyone that perhaps a midway point somewhere so that NSW/QLD Vic and SA people could meet. Not sure how this would work out. As much as I love the Mountains and would go at the drop of a hat it may be easier coming up with another locations. We need imput from everyone and then see where we go from their. whats your thoughts?

For me to be able to work in with shifts or to get swaps I need about
2 months notice. Not able to just take time off unfortunately.

Would be good to experience so many LT's different ideas and plenty of stories.

The other thought is do we want accommodation and what type, ie motels, caravan parks or camping.

Simone is good on research and I am sure if a consensus is made she would be happy to assist if needed.

Adelaide is 750 kms from Melbourne, Sydney is 900 and Brisbane is aroud 2000 i think. Do we need to look inland. Not sure.

Just my thoughts. Then again I will try and go anywhere if time can be arranged.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia

post #4 of 33 Old May 30th, 2007, 7:41 pm
cws

Garage
Hi all.

Google-earth'ing a map shows Cobar is roughly half-way for Bris/Syd/Melb/Adelaide riders, but then what the hell is in Cobar? Not much from what I can see from a quick search.
I really feel that if we are going to meet up somewhere, then the ride has to be worthwhile also.
I've done the run from Adelaide to Sydney many years ago, and there's so much of nothing on that trip for long stretches it would make for a not-so-fun ride.
Bully's idea of the Barossa has merits (at least for you wine drinkers... do they make a nice champers down there?) and the rides around there are good, from what I remember.
Corowa might be another option, rivers, wineries etc etc.
Or then there's the mountains.... there might always be the chance of snagging an extra day or 2 on the Snowy Ride.
Still want to do the Great Ocean Road run sometime too...
maybe we could look at a "special meet" and run around Phillip Island GP Track... an LT Ride Day??? Now THAT would be special!!!

As far as dates, looking like early next year is out for me, as Kerry and I are trying to organise a "significant birthdays" trip abroad around May, so that'll take most of my holidays out.
Hey Kevin, where's your pics????

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 12:19 am

Given that we seem to be predominantly catering for QLD, NSW, Vic and S.A riders while we're not intentionally excluding riders from W.A or N.T. It will always be difficult to work around those two states because of the sheer distances that are involved.

My personally prefference would be to do something in conjunction with the Snowy ride each year. Here's some reasons why,

1) Its a great event, a good cause (supporting childhood cancer), and theres always a great atmosphere about the place thats great to be a part of.

2) Imagine a line drawn between Brisbane and Adelaide. Thredbo is 1,400k's from Brisbane, and 1,100K's from Adelaide, and a lot less from anywhere else southeast of the imaginary line. Which means most people can comfortably ride to Thredbo in one day, two days max for those of us in QLD or S.A. That means for many, being able to attend the event is really no more difficult than planning to have the Friday off work, cause you can ride back home on the Sunday.

3) Generally most people stay for 2 nights in Thredbo (the Friday and Saturday nights), this gives us plenty of time to catch up and chat, and of course we can then all do the Saturday ride as a group if we wish, and we have time to chat more at meal stops etc.

4) The Snowy ride is on pretty much the same weekend in November each year. So that saves us having to work out dates that will suit everyone, and its generally a pleasant time of the year to be riding.

5) The roads in the Alpine region of Australia are sensational to ride, as are most of the road that lead into that area. So if your like me and have to spend two days riding to get there, at least your riding some pretty nice roads as you get into that region.

6) The accommodation options are plentiful and good, and reasonably priced that time of the year. And if we plan well enough ahead we can probably book a complete hotel for ourselves, or at least get multiple adjoining apartments.

7) The meal options are also plentiful with a good selection of pubs and restuarants to choose from.

8) Saturday night there is always a good rock concert playing in the town square, which is a great way to finish the weekend off.

9) There are probably a few of us that like to go to both the AGM and the Snowy ride each year. So getting more time away to attend a "stand alone" LT riders meet and greet, kind of gets incrumentally harder.

10) The AGM is great, but its for Ulysses people only, and some LT riders aren't Ulysses age yet, so the Snowy ride is perhaps the better alternative of those two.

Just my two bobs worth. What say you?

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

Last edited by barryst1100; May 31st, 2007 at 12:44 am.
post #6 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 1:49 am

Smile

Well said Barry and Chris,

Certainly is difficult. Snowy Mountain is always pleasant.
Chris the G.O.R. is good but always a very busy road.
Some of the Snowy Mountain Roads are absolutely brilliant. We never get sick of explorring this area. As for Cobar, agree not much their and the roads are to straight. Dilema dilema.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #7 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 2:41 am

Count me in...

Hey guys, back from NZ... What a beautiful place, especially the south island. Wow, would I like to take the LT over there for a few weeks! The roads are fantastic and the views...what can I say...awesome!

I'm disappointed that I couldn't get to Coffs for the meet...sounds like you guys had a great time and I'm looking forward to the stories.

As for another meeting...count me in! Do we want to combine/align to another event or do we want to make one of our own?

As for location, I agree that the alps area makes for some great riding and is reasonably accessible to most...

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #8 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 3:05 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile How to be everywhere at once.

Hi Ian, glad to hear you enjoyed NZ. Quite sorry our plans to spend some time there didn't work out. Every one says how exceptional it is for bikes. How did Olivia take to her first big trip ?
Chris, reading this thread on a get together in Australia. Sounds great. I wonder if we can get there again to enjoy some decent weather. Stay away from the " Center " Its not called the GAFA for nothing (a reporting point on one of the main air-routes, well actually it is) We really enjoyed the Snowy ride too.
Barry, cheers mate. How's the rack ? You didn't send over a pic. (did enjoy the movie CD though) Sounds like your dad must still enjoy riding and a great plan to show him around in November. Well done.
There are so many fantastic roads around the SE corner of Aust. Bit like a smorgasbord really. We thoroughly enjoyed our travels there.
Cheers from Old Blighty.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 3:39 am

Hello,

Being new to the list and LT's I haven't met anyone yet. Definitely like the idea of combining a meet with the snowy ride as I fall in the too young age bracket for Ulysees (only just though)

cheers,

Brendan
Northern Beaches
Sydney
NSW
post #10 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 4:31 am

Based on everyones input so far, I propose that we make this years Snowy Ride on November 10th, the base for an Aussie LT riders meet and greet weekend.

What about we give it a go and see how it turns out?

We can always do something different the following year, if we feel theres a better way to do it?

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #11 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 4:49 am

Smile

G'day Everyone,

Count us in, just checked my roster and need to get only two day shifts off.

If anyone comes up from SA happy to offer for them to stay at our place if needed.

Ian, Glad you had a good time. Toured the South by ship a few times in my Navy days, loved it and always thought about riding, maybe one day.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #12 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 6:03 am Thread Starter

a few photos

hope these are ok just learning how to resize and add LOL
regards Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs n stuff 405.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	12084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs n stuff 411.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	12085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs n stuff 413.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	12086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs n stuff 418.jpg
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	12087  
post #13 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 7:39 am
cws

Garage
sore neck

Kevin, my neck gets sore having to look at pics like that...
here ya go...

Onions, welcome back! Yep, you missed it... but I think NZ probably more than made up for it!

Brendan, perhaps us Sydney boys can get together for a quick blip one weekend, perhaps a round trip on the Hawksbury run or something...

Hilton, you got that box open yet??? Hope Jenna arrived safe and sound.

Look, Snowy would be my preference too, but still want to hear what the others think and make sure we get this next one the best possible result for all of us. Paul in SA, Col, and our new mates from other places (where are you all??) ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs n stuff 405.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	12088  

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 8:02 am

Hey Chris,

Weekend ride sounds great, rode to Wisemans /Spencer last Saturday.

Off to Mudgee this weekend for an overnighter with the Financial Controller, time to pay up on the promise that we will go away for weekends. Heading via Bells Line of Road then via Oberon and Bathurst - Might come back the long way

Cheers,
Brendan
post #15 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 3:16 pm

Had a ball too at the AGM, great finally putting faces and voices to posts. Also great meeting up with those not yet on the list. I'll need to talk to SWMBO about the Snowy ride, don't know whether she'd let me go off and enjoy myself for a couple of days all by myself .

As for other places to go, I'll do the mirror trick (look into it) and see what I can come up with.

Nice piccies Kev, that brown LT looks really good, great colour hey.......

Brendan, I'm just up the road on the Central Coast. Mobile 0417 267 449, let me know if your up this way and we can meet up somewhere.

Ride safe everyone.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #16 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 7:08 pm

Second the Snowy Ride suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1100
Based on everyones input so far, I propose that we make this years Snowy Ride on November 10th, the base for an Aussie LT riders meet and greet weekend.

What about we give it a go and see how it turns out?

We can always do something different the following year, if we feel theres a better way to do it?

Cheers

Barry
Sounds like a good plan Barry and as you say, next year we could do something different should be choose to do so, but let's get it happening!

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #17 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 10:17 pm

A word of advice is that if you do intend to go to the Snowy Ride for the meet and greet, I recommend you book your accommodation early.

I've already booked my accommodation at the Berntis Mountain Inn, and I think Chris is staying at the House of Ullar, which is right next door. There is heaps of accommodation in Thredbo, but it does tend to fill up pretty fast.

I also urge everyone to register for the Snwy ride iteself. It costs $50, but its for a great charity, and you might win a Honda if your unlucky enough (lol).

My suggestion is to check out the Snowy ride website www.snowyride.com.au for information about the event. (Note: The website hasn't been updated as yet, so there's still last years info there)There is also a contact number on the website that you can call to book accommodation, however I think its cheaper if you deal direct with the various lodges yourself.

If we can get a list of names together of those who know they will be going, I can ring around and see if we can get in somewhere as a group for dinner on Friday night. But we might be a bit too late already for that. However there are a lot of other options where we can get together for a chat and a few beers, even if it has to be after we've sorted out our own dinners.

So whose coming? Copy and paste your name to the list

Barry Lane x 2 0438 641 543

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #18 of 33 Old May 31st, 2007, 10:25 pm
cws

Garage
list

So whose coming? Copy and paste your name to the list

Barry Lane x 2 0438 641 543 Bernti's http://www.berntis.com.au/bookonline/
Chris Swinbanks (+Kerry) 0418 411 499 House of Ullr http://www.houseofullr.com.au/

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 33 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 1:09 am

I've done a bit of ringing around the various restuarants in Thrdebo this afternoon. Surprisingly, many are still available if we want to book for a group dinner ( I suggested 20 - 30 people) on either the Friday or Saturday nights.

Prices for entrees started from $17.00. Main meals seemed to start from around $20 - $28 and went upward from there, and deserts started at around $15.

Of all the places I called, the best value appears to be the Snowgoose Drakes restuarant. For a group like ours they are prepared to do a 3 course limited menu meal for $40 per person, and we can book for either Friday or Saturday night at present. (I'd suggest we run with the Saturday night)

Their 3 course meal would consist of an entree of some sort, the main meal would be a BBQ with a choice of 3 salads, followed by a choice of perhaps a mud cake or cheese cake for desert or something similar.

So there's one easy option to put up for discussion over the next week or two. If everyones happy enough to run with it, we can make a booking in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Barry

So who's coming? Copy and paste your name to the list

Barry Lane x 2 0438 641 543 Bernti's http://www.berntis.com.au/bookonline/
Chris Swinbanks (+Kerry) 0418 411 499 House of Ullr http://www.houseofullr.com.au/

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #20 of 33 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 2:49 am

Col H

Hi Chris,
Have just been sitting back watching the input from everyone..
I personally, am unable to attend the 'snowy' ride but it really sounds like fun.
What we must also remember is Kev's generous gesture for the venue. What I'm saying is, that we should certainly consult with him before finalising destinations, dates, etc.

Cheers,
Col
post #21 of 33 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 4:42 am

I've just read this thread from the beginning and your absolutely right Col, it does look like I've inadvertently hijacked Kev's idea, and I unreservedly apoligise for doing that.

Hijacking the planning of the proposed meet and greet was not my intention. I simply put a idea on the table for discussion, and the idea seemed to have the support of most of the posters, at least thus far. So I then proposed in the tradition of "Nike" that we just "do it" and see how it goes.

I didn't consider that in suggesting we do this, I might have been stepping on other peoples feelings. My posts were only suggestions for other members to consider and comment on.

So once again, I apoligise if I've caused offence to anyone. I'd be happy to give the Snowy ride idea a miss if some other workable alternative is found.

So how about revisit the beginning of the thread and hear more suggestions on suitable alternative destinations and dates.

One alternative I'd offer is the Central west region of NSW. Anywhere around Bathurst, Orange or Cowra has great roads and good scenery to explore. But not Cobar Chris!!!! (lol)

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

Last edited by barryst1100; Jun 1st, 2007 at 5:38 am.
post #22 of 33 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 5:47 am
cws

Garage
I wouldn't say you'd hikacked Kev's idea, Barry (and I doubt Kevin would either ). Especially if you go back to this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11295
Kevin even said himself he couldn't get a hotel with enough rooms together for this years Snowy to make the generous sponsorship support happen.
I think we are all just looking for a convenient opportunity to try to get as many of us together again, and the next obvious opportunity is the Snowy Ride. If that doesn't fit with the sponsorship deal/opportunity, then so be it, some of us will be there (Snowy) either way. Would just be great if it could all fall into place nicely, but I doubt these things ever will and it will always take a lot of effort to get as many of us together as possible. We are diversely spread and may only catch up with some of our friends only every couple of years or so... but it won't stop us trying!
Our riding season, fortunately, is 12 months long (pretty much) so unlike many of the US guys we aren't so limited as to when we can holiday, with bikes!
Anyway, enough from me. (Hi Col, pity you wont make it Thredbo, mate!)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #23 of 33 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Hi everyone

Hi everyone

Firstly Col thank you for your comment, But please I do not feel that anyone is hijacking the idea LOL and barry please no worries on my part.
This was always going to be hard to get started and I know there are many members who can not get the time off to enjoy these events. family and work pose so many problems.
So at the best the snowy greet and meet is for this year the best option, we still have the kitty currently and $10,000.00 so there are many options for us, this can remain for next year or we can donte part use part for barry's idea of dinner,
So please keep ideas coming this is about all of us enjoying a get together for the k1200lts best touring bike )

regards Kevin
post #24 of 33 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 6:46 am

Well I reckon you have all pinched my idea...
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...b=5&o=0&fpart=

Just kidding of course! I reckon it is FANTASTIC and you guys are enthusiastic enough to finally get this thing of the ground and I am VERY much looking forward to finally catching up with you all...drinking lots of beers and telling some huge tales!!! Now stop slapping each other on the back and get back to planning...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #25 of 33 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:38 am

Thanks Kevin,
I'm glad we've cleared that little awkward moment up. For a moment I'd thought I'd stepped on some toes (lol).

If everyones content to plan a meet and greet to coincide with the Snowy Ride in November, lets do it. As per my earlier posts, plan to book your accommodation early, Thredbo does tend to fill fast.

Also if everyones happy with the suggested option for a meal on the Saturday night, let me know. and we can give the restaurant a call and book us in.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #26 of 33 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:50 am

Greetings Ladies and Gents.

I'd be delighted to support the suggestion of either the Blue Mountains or the Alpine roads in Victoria. I've never been to them and would love any excuse to get over to see them.

Kindest regards to all.

Pau Harrington
SA

E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #27 of 33 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:19 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
Well I reckon you have all pinched my idea...
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...b=5&o=0&fpart=
Ian, just went back on this thread. Did you guys ever make it to the GP together??? (pics please if you did!!!) A few names I haven't seen before.
As an Admin, can you still get a group list of Aussie members, and ping their emails about a potential meet and greet (Snowy or whatever)? Its quite possible there's a few past forum members who may not check-in regularly that we might be able to pique their interest if we promote the contact with them.

By the way, Rick Mayer (RMCycles) who makes the remodelled seats is planning to be at the MotoGP in Phillip Island this year.....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #28 of 33 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:13 pm

Mim and I are now booked into the Tredbo Alpine Hotel, so we will be there to catch up again.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #29 of 33 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:34 pm

Hi Chris,
Chris Payne and I met up at the GP and had a few beers together...but it was a no show from the others...no pictures but a few empty cans

If you do a search upon the members of this site and utilise the 'advanced search' option then type in Australia in country some 81 members are currently listed! (more than I expected...) I am not an Admin, just a humble Mod but I am sure that if I requested a list that the admins would oblige...or we could just ping them a PM from the member list?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #30 of 33 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:17 am
cws

Garage
Ahhh, very good. Didn't know the search was that good. Yep, just found 80 Aussies on the list. Well, I guess once we settle on time/place etc, then we can start PM'ing them and rouse some more interest.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LT#Vehicles (couldn't help myself...)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #31 of 33 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 4:54 pm

Have started new thread for Snowy Ride plans, and will PM the link to the new thread to all other Aussie LT riders on the membership list. Hopefully most will have ticked the box that sends an email direct to their private email address advising that someone has sent them a PM message to their mailbox on this board.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #32 of 33 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 5:15 pm
cws

Garage
email addresses

Unfortunately I think you'll find quite a few haven't Barry

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #33 of 33 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Hi Chris,
Yeah perhaps not, but it's worth a try I guess.
A message on the Ulysses website will be helpful also.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in